• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm sure this is asked a lot, but can someone point me to the criteria for delaying a gun purchase? When I got my life time permit I mistakenly thought this would not be issue an more. Today's purchase (XD 45) cannot be picked up until the 23rd.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    what!? As far as I know, here in IN there is no delay on gun purchases. There certainly wasn't for any of the guns that I've purchased. Both long and short and some of them were purchased before I had a permit.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    The longest delay I have ever had was 3 days, due to some indiscretions in my younger days. But I have kept my nose clean and now no longer get delayed. I can remember the days when all you had to do was show your permit fill out the forms and off you went. I have not purchased a gun retail in a while though and it sounds like some things have changed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The delay would certainly be non-normal. It sounds like your NICS check is what is delaying you. I've heard of this happening before.

Do you have a common first and last name?

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    In other stores where purchase is delayed, I over heard things like,white male with hispanic name,some one with your name and discription in some trouble, etc. I've been told putting your SS# on form can solidify your ID. I'm only repeating hearsay, I've never been denied a gun sale.(boring lifeLOL) Sometimes the FEDS take more time to more thoroughly check you out. You'll probably get your gun on the 23rd, have you asked your dealer what causes this?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    They said there could be similar names or something recent in my record. I'd be surprised if there was not written criteria for this.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Google is amazing..

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (source info)For more information- read the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System Brochure (view as PDF)

The following is an explanation of a delay response and the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. A delay response from the NICS Section indicates that either you or another individual with a similar name and/or similar descriptive features (name, sex, race, date of birth, state of residence, social security number, height, weight, or place of birth) has been matched with either state prohibitive criteria or one or more of the following federally prohibitive criteria:

• Convicted of/under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, whether or not sentence was imposed. This includes misdemeanor offenses with a potential term of imprisonment in excess of two years, whether or not sentence was imposed.
    • Persons who are fugitives from justice; for example, the subject of an active felony or misdemeanor warrant.
    • An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance. For example: a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or, a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or, a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.
    • Judged as mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including final dispositions to criminal charges of "found not guilty by reason of insanity" or found incompetent to stand trial”.
    • An alien illegally/unlawfully in the United States or a non-immigrant who does not qualify for the exceptions under Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 922 (y). For example: not having possession of a valid hunting license.
    • Dishonorable Discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
    • Renounce citizenship of the United States.
    • The subject of a protective order issued after a hearing of which the accused had notice that restrains them from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such partner. This does not include Ex Parte orders. (This is to say no hearing has been held yet - only the allegations made).
    • Persons convicted of the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime which has an element for the use or attempted use of physical force or threatening use of a deadly weapon and the defendant was the spouse, former spouse, parent, guardian of the victim, by aperson with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited in the past with the victim as a spouse, parent, guardian or similar situation to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.

When a delay response is received, this indicates that information you supplied on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473, has been matched with information contained in the National Crime Information Center, the Interstate Identification Index, and/or the NICS Index. Complete information is not always available and a further review of these records is necessary. The NICS exhausts all efforts to retrieve current record information by contacting law enforcement agencies, i.e., local, state, federal, courts, etc. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 allows three business days to obtain this information prior to the transfer of the firearm. The Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) is not prohibited from transferring the firearm after three business days have passed; however, the FFL is not required to transfer the firearm.
    [SIZE=-1] Delay Response On:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1] Dealer Can Legally Transfer Under Federal Law On:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Monday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Friday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Tuesday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Saturday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Wednesday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Tuesday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Thursday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Wednesday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Friday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Thursday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Saturday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Thursday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Sunday [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Thursday

[/SIZE]

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Sometimes it could be as simple as they are busy and you are next in line. I had it happen a few times to me. I normally will hang around the gun shop for a while. Lots of times they will call back in a short while to approve it. Sometimes they will call the next day and approve it.

Call the gun shop and see if they called back and approved it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Hopefully that's all it is. Not that I mind having to go back to store but self control is tested when there are so many goodies around.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i had this happen last year at midwest gun.i have bought 6 hand guns and 1 rifle from them.all was good but one and is must just have been random,cause have bought 1 since with no problems

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why wouldn't you put your SSN on the form? I think it helps to solidify identification if you have a common name, and avoid delays in approval.
    It's unnecessary. I don't give out my SSN to anyone that truly doesn't need it, like an employer. Giving it out willy nilly to people you don't even know is asking for trouble. Add in the fact that I still remember when cards said "Not to be used for purposes of identification". 'Nuff said. I've never been turned down and my name's not totally uncommon.

Top Bottom