• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    First, you didn't preface your original comment with any such "ifs." You made a blanket statement that implied applicability to all circumstances.

Umm... no I was pretty clear with my prefaces.

This is true. But you've also escalated a situation needlessly (IMO). However, as you pointed out, this could be different if you were infirm and continued blows would be deadly and leaving the area could not be accomplished quickly.

I'm not saying pulling a gun is a terrible idea, just that I think there are better alternatives for most people.

It's rather caddish to say that everyone must live their lives on your terms though.

When was this ever said or even implied? :rolleyes:

I stand by my assessment of the OP situation that for most people, the presence of the gun was unnecessary. You might not be one of those people-- and that's OK.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't believe a single punch is reason enough to pull your gun

Even if its a MMA fighter on a steroid rage.
    While he's making the claim to get your address, and go after your family,
    And your feeling a bit drunk, from the punch that has started a concussion.
    All because you bumped his car.

Because you wouldn't do it "most" of the time, doesn't mean "all".

And it seems a few people here have only been given a love tap, not a "end you right now" punch.
    I know all the punches aren't like it. But have a little imagination then.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    These "What if's" are endless...UGH. Let me end the debate for you. "If you get punched in the face, can you draw?" IT DEPENDS!!!! There, we should all be satisfied.

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think a single punch to the face would make pulling your gun a feasible option. Now if the person was one of those crazy black friday shoppers that you see on youtube having fist fights and it is getting out of hand then maybe.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I definitely think a cold-cock to the face is reason to pull a firearm.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous to punch a person, cold, in the face. One of the biggest reasons people die from a single punch to the face is not the punch itself, but the subsequent fall and cracking of the head on a hard surface. There can be a LOT of acceleration of the head if a person is punched, dazed, and falls backwards. Without a bracing for the strike of the head on the ground, the energy of the head striking the ground will in large part be transmitted directly through the lower back of the head, right into the brain stem. This has been the cause of death in many, many situations where a person was punched once and died.

Besides that, a punch to the face definitely falls into the category of intention to inflict serious bodily harm. A person who has just been well-punched in the face can be significantly impaired to prevent more attacking and possibly more serious injury or death. Therefore, I think this guy was fairly justified in defending himself against such by drawing a firearm.

So, I think the cops were spot on here.

Of course, if the cops and prosecutor had decided to go ahead with charges, it obviously is just up to how the jury feels the moment they are rendering their verdict. That is, perhaps, an even scarier thought.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom