• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He did say he was going to do that, then he edited his post and took that part out.

Then an allow me to be the first to officially yell "liar liar pants on fire!" . If he is truly concerned with smearing an innocent person, then PMing the name is perfect. It he won't even send the name discretely, I have to assume there is no name.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    You've also been extremely patient about saying it over and over again. I'm getting tired of the "just don't break the law" responses and I wasn't even violated.
    I've gotta agree with this. Don't break the law and you will not subject yourself to the risk of possibly being subjected to questionable legal tactics does not an excuse make for the over bearing affront to personal liberties of an Law Enforcement Officer.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    OP, file a formal complaint.

Think long and hard about what you want to say and TYPE IT OUT. Walk in to the department and say you want to speak to someone about filing a complaint against an officer. You will be pointed in the right direction.

A few years ago, I had an altercation with a Reserve Deputy while I was out with my family. He never disarmed me, but he was very rude, antagonistic, and loud. He even went so far as to threaten to have my LTCH revoked all because I was in public with my wife and 4 kids while OC. I remained cool and collected...he did not.

The next day I was in the Marshall County Sheriffs Dept with a type written formal complaint. I sat in Chief Deputy Babcock's office and had a nice chat. I told him I did not want the officer to get in trouble, but that the Dept. needed to address the issue with training. He heard my complaint and was very understanding. Two weeks later, he called me and explained that my complaint led him and the Sheriff to implement a plan to provide department wide training on OC and its legalities. We chatted for another 5 minutes making small talk.

tl;dr - I had a bad encounter with an officer. I filed a formal complaint. Formal complaint resulted in correction of policy.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    88GT, it took several complaints and watching what was going on with other departments nation-wide for our department to address the issue. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the city has paid out some decent money to more than one complainant who has had damage to their firearms occur during unnecessary confiscation.

Cameramonkey, I am not going so far as to call :bs: but I will not believe it until I see it for myself. This whole "don't want to tarnish his rep" sure seems like a smoke screen.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Thanks my phone died.

The Fourth Ammendment
    Proposed 25 September 1789
    Ratified 15 December 1791
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Indiana Constitution Article 1 Section 11 The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable search or seizure, shall not be violated; and no warrant shall issue, but a pond probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the person or thing to be seized.

Case Law

Terry v. Ohio established that an officer with a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity afoot the officer may perform a stop and frisk the suspect for weapons only.

Malone v. State suppressed discovery of possession of a handgun by a felon because officers did not have RAS.

Washington v. Indiana No.49A02-0907-CR-649 Establishes that in the absence of articulable basis for concern for officer safety ot that a crime has been committed the officer has no justification for a search.

Also read IC 35 47 2 3 and IC 35 47 14 1

You are kidding right, All of them good or bad?

Emphatically not purple! All individuals should be treated with honor, dignity, and respect without prejudice. When an official decides that they are the Law or above it I will stand up with great prejudice.

When my peer doesn't see anything wrong with it I will do the same.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    88GT, it took several complaints and watching what was going on with other departments nation-wide for our department to address the issue. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the city has paid out some decent money to more than one complainant who has had damage to their firearms occur during unnecessary confiscation.

Cameramonkey, I am not going so far as to call :bs: but I will not believe it until I see it for myself. This whole "don't want to tarnish his rep" sure seems like a smoke screen.

Dont worry, I'm not as upstanding as yourself, so I will call it for you. :):

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So to sum up, the OP came on INGO and asked a legit question about his experience. At least one poster (including me) gave some pretty good advice and asked some pertinent questions, which the OP answered to the best of his ability. Cool. Then a few others came in here and questioned my answers, which I replied to to the best of my ability. At least two of those posters got specific, relevant questions from me and either disappeared or hid behind some guise of a reason not to answer me. Do I have that all correct?

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    So to sum up, the OP came on INGO and asked a legit question about his experience. At least one poster (including me) gave some pretty good advice and asked some pertinent questions, which the OP answered to the best of his ability. Cool. Then a few others came in here and questioned my answers, which I replied to to the best of my ability. At least two of those posters got specific, relevant questions from me and either disappeared or hid behind some guise of a reason not to answer me. Do I have that all correct?

Yes, you're correct that a police officer (you) was willing to throw another officer under the bus not even caring if the information given by the OP was true.

We also established that people with LTCH's have never or never will commit a crime against an officer or anyone else, which is very valuable information.:rolleyes:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No.

(now the rest of the answer)
    ...and it doesn't matter. Like I said earlier, the entire situation could be fantasy and hypothetical but based on the info given, my answer remains the same. My training and experience has led me to believe that stories like the one the OP told are not only plausible, but common. Departments are working to make these experiences less common, but they still happen. Nothing the OP posted threw up any red flags to me, so I answered his question.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    And now my question to you *again*. How would you suggest the OP handle the situation at hand...assuming it happened exactly as told? How would you suggest getting the department to address the training issue? Do you feel that filing a complaint is somehow detrimental to shaping policy?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Were you ever given any proof of the validity of the entire story before you urged the OP to file a complaint?

just a simple yes or no will suffice.

Why would he need validity of the claim in order to give advice? He never indicated whether he believed the OP or not, but remained rather neutral in that aspect. His advice to file a complaint is valid, since the filing of a complaint would lead to further investigation by the department. If the claim is validated, action should be taken. If the claim is BS, then the complaint is dismissed.

My problem is with your various statements of "throwing another officer under the bus". Your thin blue line attitude is repulsive and quite frankly is the primary reason why so many "bad apples" in police departments get away with so much. Your attitude and ones like it are the problem. Stick with a brother in blue to the bitter end even if his actions are unethical. This leads these same "bad apples" to believe that they can do whatever they want and get away with it because they have their brothers in blue to back them up. That philosophy won't go far here on INGO.

Here is a suggestion: how about you police your own and we won't have to.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    And now my question to you *again*. How would you suggest the OP handle the situation at hand...assuming it happened exactly as told? How would you suggest getting the department to address the training issue? Do you feel that filing a complaint is somehow detrimental to shaping policy?

Evidently you didn't read the entire thread. I already answered that question.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I will say some are funny about firearms some are not, but I ask this question, how many people with a permit to carry run out and commit crimes of any sort? Indiana, its zero. Think about how funny this sounds, well, I am going to go on a shooting rampage, but first I better get my permit to carry. Also, if they have a "gun Free Zone" sign I will have to find another place to shoot people.
    It goes without saying some people have zero common sense at all. I have never commited a crime and I carry every day. Some things should go with out saying.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Were you ever given any proof of the validity of the entire story before you urged the OP to file a complaint?

just a simple yes or no will suffice.

What in the world would possibly motivate me to make something up and post a fictional tale? On the other hand, if it happened the way I said it did, it makes sense that I would want some input from folks who have like interests. Lying about it buys me nothing. No matter what we say here or what I do regarding a complaint, it has absolutely no impact on the outcome of the speeding ticket.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In my opinion, telling someone to file a formal complaint without knowing all the facts is throwing him under the bus, instead of maybe first suggesting to go in and speak with a supervisor in an informal manner, let's just go straight to the formal complaint and see if he just gets a counseling or maybe suspended. I guess you've never had a BS complaint filed against you before.

This is the only post of yours in this thread that comes even remotely close to giving advice. It sure doesn't read like giving advice, only like more of your *****ing about my answer...

Top Bottom