• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Pulled over plenty. Just saying there had to be more said than that.

No time??? Go out of your way?? Please explain.

And I'll go back to my original statement that if there is a good chance that the officer is going to see my weapon, especially if my hand will be an inch or so from that weapon, that he or she will be informed! If there isn't that chance, then no reason to inform!

State Troopers are usually quick and to the point. I've had similar experiences.

Everybody talks about having their ID near their firearm. I solved that problem a long time ago. I wear my wallet on the opposite side of my body, away from from my firearm.

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    Well me being a police officer, i would greatly appreciate it if someone would inform me that there was a weapon in the vehicle. Respect goes a long way in this world. And shows that he has nothing to hide. So in my perspective, good job on your part!:ar15:

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Well me being a police officer, i would greatly appreciate it if someone would inform me that there was a weapon in the vehicle. Respect goes a long way in this world. And shows that he has nothing to hide. So in my perspective, good job on your part!:ar15:

I like to think that 90% of officers are like you,:yesway:
    But my concerns lie with the portion of them that arent as respectfull as you.:xmad::drill:

How many people have you pulled over that had a weapon on their person (and had a ltch) that did not inform you about it? How did you know?

If they do inform you, do you give them MORE respect than someone you didnt even know was carrying?

Unless guilty of more than a simple traffic violation, how can informing the officer help you situation? If the officer is anti-gun, then it seems this could only harm your situation and/or get you less respect.
    What am I missing?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I like to think that 90% of officers are like you,:yesway:
    But my concerns lie with the portion of them that arent as respectfull as you.:xmad::drill:

How many people have you pulled over that had a weapon on their person (and had a ltch) that did not inform you about it? How did you know?

If they do inform you, do you give them MORE respect than someone you didnt even know was carrying?

Unless guilty of more than a simple traffic violation, how can informing the officer help you situation? If the officer is anti-gun, then it seems this could only harm your situation and/or get you less respect.
    What am I missing?

I am not a police officer, but... you arent missing a darn thing IMO.

We have had several LEOs admit they are trained to disarm even LTCH holders, that in itself gives me pause to volunteer the info I am carrying, then add to that the situations we have heard about with some(I emphasize SOME) LEOs not knowing how to handle a gun safely and I am even less inclined to force an interaction, and instead plan to just keep my mouth shut.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Pulled over plenty. Just saying there had to be more said than that.

No time??? Go out of your way?? Please explain.

And I'll go back to my original statement that if there is a good chance that the officer is going to see my weapon, especially if my hand will be an inch or so from that weapon, that he or she will be informed! If there isn't that chance, then no reason to inform!

Nope that sums it up...I'm guessing they didn't want to here any BS from me considering they were staties and had no thoughts on giving me a warning.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I do not like that nothing to hide statement at all. I have nothing to hide but that does not mean I am going to tell you what I do or do not have on me. in my vehicle or in my house.

I mean no disrespect to you but if you make a statement like nothing to hide you have no respect for me IMHO.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Have not had a bad experience, but somewhat odd one from being pulled over for speeding. I was heading home from work and usually have my gun in the glovebox because I cannot carry at work. I didn't notice the officer until he was behind me pulling me over. Rather than try to grab my registration from the glovebox quickly from underneath my gun I just waited for the officer to arrive at my window. When asked for it I informed him that my registration was under the gun. He had me slowly hand him the holstered gun and took my LTCH and license and registration. I did end up with a ticket , but what was odd was that he placed my gun in the back seat before he left. I didn't argue or make a fuss about the ticket. I haven't had a lot of tickets so it wasn't a big deal. Not sure why he placed it there or what he was worried about as to not give it to me directly.

It seems that you never know how they are going to react or whay they will do once you tell them. I would think that with so many people carrying there would be some sort of procedure in place to make people more willing to inform. I believe people wouldn't be hesitant to inform if they knew what the outcome was and that they wouldn't be treated like a criminal for exersising their rights. Just my :twocents:.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Why did you inform him? Not being critical, just asking.

When I picked up my carry permit, the Sherrif's office told me that If I were ever pulled over to let the officer know first thing that there is a gun in the car and you have a conceal permit.

I did not read whole thread...I live in PA

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle

How is informing you that I have a firearm in my vehicle a sign of respect? What does it matter? If you pull me me over, I will treat you respectfully. I won't yell at you. I won't cuss at you. I will most likely refer to you as, "Sir", when I address you. I will be polite and courteous to you. To me, that is being respectful. The fact that I have a firearm in the car will not change how I interact with you.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've read that in some states you are required to inform LEO immediately when stopped. Not sure exactly how true it was but just putting it out there to be cautious if traveling out of state under CC reciprocity as to the local 'law of the land' in this respect. Who knows what whack-o local laws you might be breaking.
    Google up "Officer Harless Canton Ohio" then enjoy the read about informing. :D:popcorn:

nickynutts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I got pulled over for what the officer thought was a seat-belt violation. (I had the seat-belt on) When he asked for my D/L, I also gave him my LTCH at the same time. I have several friends on the Kokomo Police force and they have said that they prefer to be informed, so, I will inform. He still gave me a warning ticket, (which I went immediately to the ISP post and complained about) but this officer handed my permit back and never said a word about the S&W 40 cal. I had in the console. He acted like he didn't even see the permit but he did hand it back with no comment.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    State Troopers are usually quick and to the point. I've had similar experiences.

Everybody talks about having their ID near their firearm. I solved that problem a long time ago. I wear my wallet on the opposite side of my body, away from from my firearm.

^This.

Or have the ID and reg. out before the cop shows up at your window. Set it up so you're not rifling through your car to find it. It will go much smoother if you already have the stuff in hand, and completely alleviate all of the "it's near my gun" stuff.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    ^This.

Or have the ID and reg. out before the cop shows up at your window. Set it up so you're not rifling through your car to find it. It will go much smoother if you already have the stuff in hand, and completely alleviate all of the "it's near my gun" stuff.

^^^exactly! I've been pulled over enough to know what they want, so I have it ready before the officer gets out of his or her car!

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It's always the right thing to do to inform LEO. You don't want to surprise them or cause any undue stress or further inconvenience.

You'll continue to think this way until you run into Officer Richard Cranium who pulls you out of your car at gunpoint. Or one of his buddies that will field strip your pistol before he hands it back to you and tell you not to touch it until he leaves.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's always the right thing to do to inform LEO. You don't want to surprise them or cause any undue stress or further inconvenience.

Seriously? So if I don't waive a right, it's the wrong thing, surprises people, and causes undue stress and inconvenience?

Is this true of all rights or just select ones? :dunno:

Ridiculous.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    It's probably best just to pull down your pants for them too so they can do a strip search right on the spot...I mean if you have nothing to hide and just want to make their job easier why not?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    It's probably best just to pull down your pants for them too so they can do a strip search right on the spot...I mean if you have nothing to hide and just want to make their job easier why not?

Yeah- forcing the COP to unbutton your pants might cause him "undue stress" :laugh:

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    Fixer: I would say the reason he put it in the back seat was for his safety and yours. Not saying you had an itch to use it but we all know what kind of world we live in today. To many officers have been shot for just the smallest traffic stops. But every officer is different. We have the law in our hands and its our descresion wether we choose to use it.

mydoghasfleas: I honestly wouldnt know if they did. Now if i was to ask if you had anything in the car i need to know about and you lie, and i just happen to see one then yes i will be questioning you about it. And that goes with knifes or other weapons you could use. Now for the respect thing, I show it 100% of the time no matter what situation. If the person is carrying, all I ask is i need to see their permit and where is the firearm located. Im not going to jump to conclusion and think its goin to be used. Now we may run the serial # just to make sure it doesnt come up stolen but for the most part you are fine. And of course we will check the permit cause people do try and make false documents. Which is a big NO NO!

COMPATRIOT G: Whether you inform him or an officer ask if you have anything, always be honest. Not saying your not but some officers may get red flags. Cause who knows, we have have this thing called probable cause to search your vehicle. You could have a vehicle that matches the description of another one that we are trying to find. You just never know. Now we are not trying to violate anyones rights here. But like i said every officer is different.

Bunnykid68: Let me rephrase that, I'm not saying you have to tell them but if he/she was to ask then obviously say something. Not saying that it will get you out of whatever it is. The only reason we do it is for our safety. We are not out there to violate anyones rights. Plus, I have the upmost respect for people no matter what situation. I'm only 24 years old and i have been taught respect by my parents and elders. So of course i will show it.

I think i covered evryone. lol

Top Bottom