• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only ticket I have gotten in the last many years is because of one of the 300 feet long school zones that Indy puts up everywhere. Normally driving through there after 4:30 and went by there at lunch. 35 in a 25 school zone. Officer let me go with a 35 in 25 without school zone mentioned. (Thank you, sir.)

I drive the speed limit. It doesn't take longer, usually, and is less stressful. In my truck, I often drive 65 down I-65, and pace with the big rigs. If a rig wants to go faster, I'll often slow down to make their pass quicker. I get 22 MPG in my Ford F-150. If I push 75, I get 18 mpg. Drag is the square of velocity and starts to cost real money in fuel.

Our Kia Rondo gets 26 MPG at 70 MPH, 32 MPG at 55 MPH. Why not run 55 if the speed limit is 50?

This is the same reason I let off the gas 1/4 mile from a light, if it is red. Why waste gas to accelerate hard and brake hard?

Life is too short. Chill. Set the cruise. Try to enjoy life. Save those stupid ticket fees. Save on gas.

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Everytime I get on 65 or 465 there is ALWAYS a cop (deputy, metro, state) that blows my doors off. I just pull out in the fast lane get about a car length behind them. What's he going to do pull me over for speeding? He better be ready to write himself his own ticket! I actually had one guy speed up to try and loose me, I stopped accelerating at 95mph and he just dissappeared!

Just remember it's not about public safety it's about state funding!!!

I would be careful following speeding peace officers. I did a similar thing on I-65 Northwest of Indianapolis and the officer decided to pull me over anyway and site me for going 70 in a 55.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you're going to speed, don't get upset when YOU get pulled over. Sure, other people were speeding with you, you just got unlucky.

If it's getting to the end of the month, slow down already, you know they're more likely to be out there. Listen to the news as well, they do advertise when there are particular campaigns. And if there's a holiday approaching, or colleges letting out, you know they're going to be out then.

Just a hunch, but slowing down traffic is probably why they pull people over during rush hour.

Personally I don't have a problem with cops speeding without their lights on. I don't know if they're responding to a call or not. Neither do you. I personally want them responding to my incident with as much speed as possible. So, I give them more leeway and the benefit of the doubt.

I have a bigger problem with cars that have state plates on that are speeding by me on the highway. Why does a DNR car, or IDEM car need to speed? My guess is they're late to a meeting. If the state wants to save money, they ought to put a governor on all the non-emergency vehicles.

Stop complaining about the speed limit on 465 and do something. Personally, I think there are times when 55MPH is sometimes to fast, and other times way to slow.

And for the OP, I'd hazard to guess you are under 30, and possibly driving a car that makes you noticeable. Could be wrong, but from personal experience, besides speeding you might be doing things that make you a ticket magnet.

BTW, other then having a gun in the car, which had no impact on the incident, what does this have to do with carrying or self defense?

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    Call and ask them if they will let you defer it, I know in Boone county they will let you defer as many as you want. Its just extra $$$$$ for them!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    If you're going to speed, don't get upset when YOU get pulled over. Sure, other people were speeding with you, you just got unlucky.

If it's getting to the end of the month, slow down already, you know they're more likely to be out there. Listen to the news as well, they do advertise when there are particular campaigns. And if there's a holiday approaching, or colleges letting out, you know they're going to be out then.

Just a hunch, but slowing down traffic is probably why they pull people over during rush hour.

Personally I don't have a problem with cops speeding without their lights on. I don't know if they're responding to a call or not. Neither do you. I personally want them responding to my incident with as much speed as possible. So, I give them more leeway and the benefit of the doubt.

I have a bigger problem with cars that have state plates on that are speeding by me on the highway. Why does a DNR car, or IDEM car need to speed? My guess is they're late to a meeting. If the state wants to save money, they ought to put a governor on all the non-emergency vehicles.

Stop complaining about the speed limit on 465 and do something. Personally, I think there are times when 55MPH is sometimes to fast, and other times way to slow.

And for the OP, I'd hazard to guess you are under 30, and possibly driving a car that makes you noticeable. Could be wrong, but from personal experience, besides speeding you might be doing things that make you a ticket magnet.

BTW, other then having a gun in the car, which had no impact on the incident, what does this have to do with carrying or self defense?
    :+1: Quit :crying: and throwing a :tantrum: and pay the fine.:rolleyes:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The easy way

I wonder why some folks don't just sign up to have the traffic courts do an automatic withdrawal from their checking account each month. After a while, your insurance goes away ($$$ saved!) and you can even get a new really cool status for your driver's license..............Habitual Traffic Offender: Suspended for Life.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i dont care what the "flow of traffic" is. if you break the law its all on you and you alone. I follow the speed limit and I do just fine. let them pass when they can. i have no pitty for you OP because you earned it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    man

70 on 465 isn't hard to do... nearly everyone does it on a daily basis. It's just the flow of traffic during morning and evening. Occasionally, everyone is a steady 80.

No real reason... some guy doing 40 just moved out of the left lane, so I sped up ... and there he is. Always the best timing.

So each speeding ticket is 2 points? Let's assume this one and the last one count... that's 4 points... what does that mean?

Do I get back the extra money for the last deferral?
    Prolly not. Once the state has your money they are loath to give it back.:laugh:

You youngsters, always in a hurry. Saving 30 seconds on 465 is not worth the possible aggravation. And you guys whining about the extra time it took. Who caused the problem? Just accept the responsibility. You made the decision to speed. You had a choice. Bad choice, bad result. Learning not to speed is an attitude adjustment. And the old saw about "haste makes waste" has way more truth to it than most people are willing to admit. Especially when driving.:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As an under 30 driver, I've paid many a ticket and have had my license suspended a time or three. That being said, let me offer advice.

1. Please, slow down.

2. If you need to, leave early. It's better to be 30 minutes early and get there safely.

3. I know it wasn't brought up... but stay OFF of your phone. Reaction time, especially on 465 around I-65 exits on the south end, can't be quick enough. I see an accident every other day, often multiple cars. I wish it was an exaggeration, but it's not.

4. If you speed, it's on you. If you get caught, man up and pay it. You won't find sympathy anywhere instead the dictionary between Sh@# and Syphillis. Mark it up as a learning experience and move on.

5. Good, bad, or indifferent... expect to be disarmed if you're stopped. There's been enough stories here that you can expect it. If it doesn't happen, great. If it does.. get the officer's name and badge number, and file a complaint. Best thing you can do at that point is be reactionary, but respectable. I don't agree with disarming, personally... but I see why they do it.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    As an under 30 driver, I've paid many a ticket and have had my license suspended a time or three. That being said, let me offer advice.

1. Please, slow down.

2. If you need to, leave early. It's better to be 30 minutes early and get there safely.

3. I

A.D.D. in action?:D

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The law is the law? to you LEO's using that argument if they passed a law mandating every person in Indiana wear purple on wednesday would you enforce it?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The law is the law? to you LEO's using that argument if they passed a law mandating every person in Indiana wear purple on wednesday would you enforce it?

Apples & oranges.

At least there is some reasonable justification for speed limits. I know you don't agree from your posts in another thread but not every law is unecessary. You need to learn to argue for eliminating the real unecessary ones instead of all of them. You do yourself a disservice when you come across as an anarchist. Most people don't want it that way & will marginalize your other valid opinions if you take such an extreme viewpoint.

If you really are an anarchist, then...no thanks.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Apples & oranges.

At least there is some reasonable justification for speed limits. I know you don't agree from your posts in another thread but not every law is unecessary. You need to learn to argue for eliminating the real unecessary ones instead of all of them. You do yourself a disservice when you come across as an anarchist. Most people don't want it that way & will marginalize your other valid opinions if you take such an extreme viewpoint.

If you really are an anarchist, then...no thanks.

+1. Suggesting that you want LEO's to act as some sort of super-legislature is kind of a scary thought. While I disagree with many laws, I'm much happier being ruled by elected representatives than by cops.

Of course, officers do have legitimate discretion, but I don't believe that extends to the point Jeremiah would like.

Best

Joe

Top Bottom