• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    When I'm on 465 I tend to go about 70, and I am damn near run off the road. 55 MPH speed-limit is a transparent revenue-generator and a safety hazard all rolled into one.

Sounds like you got an idiot officer. Next time, calm down and ask him why exactly he needs to take your firearm and run the serial #. If his answer is the correct "I believe this to be stolen" he had better have a clear case of reasonable suspicion, and if he doesn't, then ruin him.

Take the time to learn the law, learn your rights, and act accordingly.

And slow down---you'd get more value out of your money by lighting it on fire, rather than handing it to the police.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Why did you have your handgun out and in the passenger seat? If you pull your gun out when you are pulled over, most any officer is going to think something is up. I get pulled over plenty and always warn the officer before opening my glovebox. I have never had an issue with any officer.

I missed the part where he "pulled his gun out". :rolleyes: Sometimes I have my firearm in the passenger seat, other times it is in the glovebox, and most of the time it's on my hip. I can hang it from my ceiling if I so please. If an officer has an issue with a firearm carried lawfully in a vehicle, then perhaps they should refresh themselves on the law, and pack a few extra pairs of underwear for each tour.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Everytime I get on 65 or 465 there is ALWAYS a cop (deputy, metro, state) that blows my doors off. I just pull out in the fast lane get about a car length behind them. What's he going to do pull me over for speeding? He better be ready to write himself his own ticket! I actually had one guy speed up to try and loose me, I stopped accelerating at 95mph and he just dissappeared!

Just remember it's not about public safety it's about state funding!!!

Don't think that'll always work for you...trust me. An officer i know who is on the bomb squad received a run to a school for a susp. package with a phone threat. He did 80 85 on 65 and noticed someone was following behind him. Just before his arrival a teacher stated "it's my bag" so his defusing skills weren't needed. Disregarded from the run, he backed off and wrote the guy behind him a ticket for speeding in blue jeans and a tshirt. The guy was furious, calling in complaints and what not about the officers unreasonable speed. Court came and when the judge asked how he knew he was speeding he stated i saw him in my rear view and i paced him with my certified and calibrated speedometer. When the judge asked why he was pacing someone behind him, he stated he was on his way to XXXX grade school to disarm a suspected device. When the judge asked the other guy why he was speeding he stated that he was on his way to the same school to pick up his kid and figured since this off duty cop was speeding those laws no longer applied. His ticket ended up costing him almost 500$. His wife thanked the officer for going to save their kid though, which caused a fight between husband and wife.

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Well from someone "on the inside" just be careful...........all of you. I have been told that ISP has been given direction to ticket anything over 5mph over the speed limit. I can't say it is a fact, but I do get to talk to troopers on a regular basis.

Just my own little public service announcement

I believe that. Try driving a truck on 465 or anywhere else for that matter. I set my cruise for the speed limit and no faster. They will nail us for anything and even pull us over when we're going the speed limit just to inspect us.:rolleyes:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When we last left our hero...

So I got pulled over again today, 465 southbound, around mile 44.6 or so.

So here I am, with a brand new ticket... literally ONE WEEK after I pay my last one. I don't know what that means, now...

I did the $225 deferral on the last ticket... what happens now? This'll be the first time I get points against me... and it probably means my last ticket will put points on me now (safe driver deferral).

What's the process for this?

I'm guessing it means slow down. How many tickets have you gotten for speeding? This has to be at least the 3rd or 4th thread like this by you.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Everytime I get on 65 or 465 there is ALWAYS a cop (deputy, metro, state) that blows my doors off. I just pull out in the fast lane get about a car length behind them. What's he going to do pull me over for speeding? He better be ready to write himself his own ticket! I actually had one guy speed up to try and loose me, I stopped accelerating at 95mph and he just dissappeared!

Just remember it's not about public safety it's about state funding!!!

This may not have occurred to you, but the officer that "blows your doors off" may be on a run. We don't run lights and sirens to most of our calls- for a variety of reasons. Some may be a "silent run" such as responding to a burglary or robbery in progress. (We don't want to announce our approach from a mile out.)
    Some runs may be urgent, but not an emergency- such as a property damage accident or a shoplifter. There are a variety of reasons.

To try and save you from having to pay a ticket, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you're drafting me in the hammer lane, and I get disregarded on my run, you are getting pulled over.

That said, some cops are a-holes and simply abuse the privilege.
    Take your chances if you want... :twocents:

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    This may not have occurred to you, but the officer that "blows your doors off" may be on a run. We don't run lights and sirens to most of our calls- for a variety of reasons. Some may be a "silent run" such as responding to a burglary or robbery in progress. (We don't want to announce our approach from a mile out.)
    Some runs may be urgent, but not an emergency- such as a property damage accident or a shoplifter. There are a variety of reasons.

To try and save you from having to pay a ticket, I'll let you in on a little secret. If you're drafting me in the hammer lane, and I get disregarded on my run, you are getting pulled over.

That said, some cops are a-holes and simply abuse the privilege.
    Take your chances if you want... :twocents:

I thought all laws still applied even if the officer is on a run, unless actually persuing a suspect.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To the OP slow down.

We don't run lights and sirens to most of our calls- for a variety of reasons. Some may be a "silent run" such as responding to a burglary or robbery in progress. (We don't want to announce our approach from a mile out.)

According to code you have to run lights or siren if your not following the rules of the road. And unless you are in pursuit, going to an emergency or fire call your supposed to obey the law same as everyone else.
    IC 9-21-1-8
    Emergency vehicles
    Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle when:
    (1) responding to an emergency call;
    (2) in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law; or
    (3) responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm.

(b) The person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle may do the following:
    (1) Park or stand, notwithstanding other provisions of this article.
    (2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as necessary for safe operation.
    (3) Exceed the maximum speed limits if the person who drives the vehicle does not endanger life or property.
    (4) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.
    (5) Execute a lawful intervention technique if the person has completed a training course that instructs participants in the proper execution of lawful intervention techniques.
    (c) This section applies to an authorized emergency vehicle only when the vehicle is using audible or visual signals as required by law. An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle is not required to be equipped with or display red and blue lights visible from in front of the vehicle.
    I thought all laws still applied even if the officer is on a run, unless actually persuing a suspect.

Nope emergency runs are allowed also.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    To the OP slow down.

According to code you have to run lights or siren if your not following the rules of the road. And unless you are in pursuit, going to an emergency or fire call your supposed to obey the law same as everyone else.

Nope emergency runs are allowed also.

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate your lessons on how to execute my duties. I'll file that away for future reference.

You can complain about police response time, or you can complain about police driving habits. You really can't have it both ways.

Either way, I don't tell you how to do your job...
    Have a pleasant morning! :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks for your insight. I appreciate your lessons on how to execute my duties. I'll file that away for future reference.

You can complain about police response time, or you can complain about police driving habits. You really can't have it both ways.

Either way, I don't tell you how to do your job...
    Have a pleasant morning! :D

Where was I complaining about either? I was just posting the relevant section of the IN code. Or do you believe you are not bound by the law?

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Where was I complaining about either? I was just posting the relevant section of the IN code. Or do you believe you are not bound by the law?

I used "you" in a more general sense. Not directed specifically at you, Timjoebillybob.
    There is a lot of anti-cop animosity on this site from some people. Some for legitimate reasons, some from some bizarre paranoia that all LEO's are out to get them... I don't know. :dunno:
    As for being bound by the law, sure... ya got me :D... If the world were black and white and legislation was written by people that had a clue, we would drive around with sirens blaring all day and night, and criminals would surrender and submit out of respect for law and order.
    :rolleyes:
    If the house or business being burglarized were yours, I'm relatively confident that you would appreciate a fast response time from the police, no? :dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I used "you" in a more general sense. Not directed specifically at you, Timjoebillybob.
    There is a lot of anti-cop animosity on this site from some people. Some for legitimate reasons, some from some bizarre paranoia that all LEO's are out to get them... I don't know. :dunno:
    As for being bound by the law, sure... ya got me :D... If the world were black and white and legislation was written by people that had a clue, we would drive around with sirens blaring all day and night, and criminals would surrender and submit out of respect for law and order.
    :rolleyes:
    If the house or business being burglarized were yours, I'm relatively confident that you would appreciate a fast response time from the police, no? :dunno:

I've posted some anti LEO stuff on this site, and I have also defended LEO on this site. I have no animosity for LEO in general.

And I can understand the need to run silent/no lights at times, I doubt very many of those times are on 465. When I see officers running lights or speeding I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But that being said I have seen them doing it for the hell of it. Two instances stick out, I was heading home about 1:30-2 am on a weeknight, streets are dead and I'm pretty much the only car on the road. I see flashing lights coming up behind me and before I could get over I get blown past by a cop running hot. He had to be doing at least 90 in a 35. At the intersection ahead I see another one go flying through. The one that passed me goes sideways making the turn. I'm curious what the hell is going on :popcorn: so I follow them. Yes I was young and dumb. By the time I catch up with them 5 miles down the road they are sitting at the counter in a dunkin doughnuts.

The other time was when I was delivering pizzas. When we had wrong or fake orders the boss would call the local police and tell them to come pick it up. The pizza place was on the line between two towns. One night we had two prank orders at the same time so she called both of them and told them that the first one there could get the pizza. You would of thought the place was getting robbed. We had 3 cars show up in the parking lot in 5 minutes all of them running lights and sirens (each department got 1).

And yes if a house or business is getting burglarized I would appreciate a fast response whether it was mine or not. But if your coming from 10 miles away, why not run lights until you get a couple blocks or so away and then kill them? And if your responding to an accident with just property damage is it really going to matter if it takes an extra minute or two? And if it would, why not run at least lights? I can see not running sirens at 2 am in a residential area but lights? Same with a store that's holding a shoplifter.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Timjoebillybob, tell ya what brother...
    I don't know what you do for a living, but I promise not to tell you how to do a job that I know nothing about, if you won't try to tell me how to a job you clearly know nothing about.
    Just because the logic of lights and siren usage doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean officers don't have good reasons for doing things the way they're done.
    Believe it or not, peoples' brains turn to mush when lights and sirens come on. You would think that everyone knows to pull over to the right and yield the right of way, but the reality is much different. Cars go every which way, or they don't yield at all. So there's one reason for you...

You do your job, and I will continue to do mine.:yesway:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    YOu have several spots on 465 that get regular attention. I-465 northbound just north of 70 at the hill before 67. South side 465 both directions at 65. North side is just to slow at rush hour to speed so it is normally GTG for speeders but you are not going to get up to speed anyway. West side when they start another of the work sites for a couple weeks as it is more money to put workers in danger.

You also have I-69 northbound but every time they start they get a accident call at st rd 37 so they have to bail out. So you don't see them much.

The funniest thing have seen was I-70 west bound at a little exit between exit 41 and exit 23. The cop slows from the passing lane and has a few cars behind him. Exits and you would have thought the green flag dropped at a NaSCAR race. Back over the exit he comes and pulls over a car. They had to hit 95 or so when he pulled off at the exit. I am sure that might have even been a major violation like reckless driving as the limit is 70 and a few of them most have topped 90 when he pulled off.

That brings up another subject: Why do they call it reckless driving in english. Should it not be wreckfull driving instead. I drive alot and rarely speed.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just to add a few more :twocents:'s to the mix....

It does not help the mindset and positive view of Law Enforcement when the normal citizen witnesses a marked patrol vehicle driving like a bat out of hell down 465 when it is obvious there is no reason for it. I have seen this on countless occasions. How do I know there is no reason? The LEO has his/her family in the squad with them.

Now, before I am slammed for being anti LEO, I'll add this. I am a former LEO and understand the need for a rapid response sans lights and siren.
    I understand the reasoning for the exceptions to normal traffic laws during a response. I also understand the "mush brain" effect that a hot run can cause. Cops are in a catch 22 when it comes to this subject. There is no way to win the arguement for either side.

However, the abuse of these priviledges not only causes the average Joe to have a negative impression at that exact moment, it builds animosity further down the line. This makes an already tough job even harder for each and every LEO who wears the shield.

Changes are needed in the public mindset about Law Enforcement, but those changes may never come to pass without the true Protect and Serve mentality of the LEO. This change, though exersizable on the individual Officers' level, needs to come from the administration and down the line from there. Stop treating our Law Enforcement agencies as revenue raisers and start believing that they truely are there for the benefit of the communities in which they serve.

:soapbox: Stepping down now.....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just to add a few more :twocents:'s to the mix....

It does not help the mindset and positive view of Law Enforcement when the normal citizen witnesses a marked patrol vehicle driving like a bat out of hell down 465 when it is obvious there is no reason for it. I have seen this on countless occasions. How do I know there is no reason? The LEO has his/her family in the squad with them.

Now, before I am slammed for being anti LEO, I'll add this. I am a former LEO and understand the need for a rapid response sans lights and siren.
    I understand the reasoning for the exceptions to normal traffic laws during a response. I also understand the "mush brain" effect that a hot run can cause. Cops are in a catch 22 when it comes to this subject. There is no way to win the arguement for either side.

However, the abuse of these priviledges not only causes the average Joe to have a negative impression at that exact moment, it builds animosity further down the line. This makes an already tough job even harder for each and every LEO who wears the shield.

Changes are needed in the public mindset about Law Enforcement, but those changes may never come to pass without the true Protect and Serve mentality of the LEO. This change, though exersizable on the individual Officers' level, needs to come from the administration and down the line from there. Stop treating our Law Enforcement agencies as revenue raisers and start believing that they truely are there for the benefit of the communities in which they serve.

:soapbox: Stepping down now.....

+1

When you are in a very visible position that has such a huge effect on the average person's life, the standards to which you are held are much higher. As the saying goes, 1 "aw-crap" wipes out a hundred "attaboys".

In my career in EMS I have told my driver to get us as quickly to the hospital as possible without running LAS to either avoid excess stress on a patient already circling the drain, or to avoid the extra risk that LAS entails. I've also driven under those circumstances. I've witnessed LE abusing their power in that time, and I've witnessed them going above and beyond the call. In both professions, you are under scrutiny because the stakes are much higher than in most professions.

I'll call LE on abuse of power/privilege, but I am hardly a LE basher: on the balance I am far more of a supporter.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I just got a ticket on the PA turnpike. Cop radared me from the rear of his parked car going 84 in a 65. I pulled over the trooper explains how he clocked me, told me that I will be sighted and it will take about ten min to write the ticket. Comes back explains the ticket and that I have 10 days to pay it or they send a letter to Indiana to suspend my DL. Paid it today, will my insurance or Indiana DL be affected by this out of state ticket?? havent had a ticket since my last vacation 5 years ago when I got one for going 65 in 35 in florida.

Top Bottom