Public property carry (including colleges) news.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Only a bill so far, but.

Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

Possession of firearms on state property. Prohibits a state agency, including a state supported college or university, from regulating the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and other structures that are; owned or leased by the state. Provides for certain exceptions. Voids, as of July 1, 2014, any rules or policies enacted or undertaken by a state agency before, on, or after June 30, 2014, concerning possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the state. Allows a person to bring an action against a state agency if the person is adversely affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy of the state agency that violates this law.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    "Owned or leased by the state" I always thought colleges were private institutions. Would that include schools like Ivy Tech?

A lot of Ivy Tech campuses are on state leased property and they depend significantly on legislative funding. Quite honestly I have absolutely zero problem with completely private universities not allowing carry, just like I'm fine with any other business. I have a MASSIVE problem though with colleges that receive public funds via grants, subsidized loans, etc...banning it. As a state funded institution unless they can prove extraordinary circumstances they shouldn't be able to circumvent our right to carry. Accepting public funds negates the right to act like a private institution.

As to this specific law, my completely uneducated opinion is that it's too broad to pass and needs a rewrite, but at least we can use it as a platform to voice interest by writing in our support.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    A lot of Ivy Tech campuses are on state leased property and they depend significantly on legislative funding. Quite honestly I have absolutely zero problem with completely private universities not allowing carry, just like I'm fine with any other business. I have a MASSIVE problem though with colleges that receive public funds via grants, subsidized loans, etc...banning it. As a state funded institution unless they can prove extraordinary circumstances they shouldn't be able to circumvent our right to carry. Accepting public funds negates the right to act like a private institution.

As to this specific law, my completely uneducated opinion is that it's too broad to pass and needs a rewrite, but at least we can use it as a platform to voice interest by writing in our support.

so lets say ivy tech lawrence campus for instance. the military also have offices there in a section of the building. with this new bill would that allow carry while on school property?

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    So I guess Valpo univ is a private institution and not subject to this. My understanding that for a non student non staff etc, the treatment was basically the same as a proprietor who had a no gun policy. Effectively, they can ask you to leave the premises, but it is not a criminal offense, ie subject to arrest etc. for the student,staff,teachers it means that they can can deal with it through expulsion or employment termination, but not with criminal charges...

funny, ay, I'm there today.... And I feel very safe for my self as well as those around me... Just saying... :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll chime in with another "all good bills that need our support".

And not just for State Colleges/Universities. I'd like to carry at Mounds SP again. That's right! State Historical Sites are off limits. Didn't know that, did ya'?

The fact that a state agency can pull a rule out of their ass that isn't in the state law or administrative code is appalling.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'll chime in with another "all good bills that need our support".

And not just for State Colleges/Universities. I'd like to carry at Mounds SP again. That's right! State Historical Sites are off limits. Didn't know that, did ya'?

The fact that a state agency can pull a rule out of their ass that isn't in the state law or administrative code is appalling.

Wow, that could be confusing. As I understand it, it's legal now to carry in state parks. Unless as you mentioned they happen to also be a State Historical Site. How would someone know the difference?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow, that could be confusing. As I understand it, it's legal now to carry in state parks. Unless as you mentioned they happen to also be a State Historical Site. How would someone know the difference?
    The average person would not. And the rule changed behind the scenes when the Historic Sites split from the DNR only a couple of years ago. The DNR has an affirmative carry policy (explicitly states that your LTCH is presected). The Historic Sites adopted the policy of the Government Center, even though TAT policy doesn't mention Historic Sites. Confusing as hell. And I can't believe is legal.

For another example: TC Steele is in the middle of Yellowood State Forest. You can carry in the forest, but not once you cross some invisible boundary with the TC Steele site.

Top Bottom