PSA releases Dedicated Billet 9mm Glock Lowers!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've recently been looking at purchasing a rifle that accepts Glock Mags, then convert it to a SBR. I saw the PSA email and was interested, till they sold out.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    This may be a stupid question, but I don't think it is...Why would you build a 9mm AR when you could buy a Glock fed sub 2000 much cheaper. Is it just the ability to "build" it that makes it appealing?

Or can you swap out the lower and convert it to 223 or something? It just looks like an expensive 9mm carbine to me! Educate me people!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    This may be a stupid question, but I don't think it is...Why would you build a 9mm AR when you could buy a Glock fed sub 2000 much cheaper. Is it just the ability to "build" it that makes it appealing?

Or can you swap out the lower and convert it to 223 or something? It just looks like an expensive 9mm carbine to me! Educate me people!

I've thought long and hard about this over the years, and fiddled with all of them to one degree or another (Uzi's extensively, Sub-2000 not much), so here it goes, basic positives and negatives to all:
    Sub-2000: Low price, but flimsy feeling and the sights aren't all that great. Neat folding design, light, good for backpacking, different versions available for different pistol mags, no caliber conversion options, not easy to suppress or SBR (front sight issue and folding feature negated since it can't latch).
    Uzi carbine: More expensive, built like a tank, cheap but good mags, sucky grip safety, fixed or folding stock option, easy to SBR or suppress, caliber conversion is possible but sourcing the parts is a pain these days.
    AR look-alikes: Hit and miss reliability and/or build quality with most brands...most are also pricey. The TNW version is good quality, easy scope mounting, easy to suppress or SBR while still being reliable (I've talked extensively with the owner at Knob Creek, he's a good guy and I trust his products), easy AND affordable caliber conversions(!), and cheap Glock mags.
    AR carbine: Most expensive, quality build characteristics, expensive proprietary mags (until recently), excellent sights, easy scope mounting, easy to SBR or suppress, totally customizable (stocks, grips, etc.), convertible to .223 and other calibers but that gets pricey quick. The PSA brings cheap Glock mags to the table, but loses the .223 convertibility. Only time will tell if PSA is going to make other pistol caliber uppers available for their Glock lower, but I don't think they will ever be as affordable as the TNW system.

Hopefully that covers things, but everyone feel free to ask questions or chime in.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I've thought long and hard about this over the years, and fiddled with all of them to one degree or another (Uzi's extensively, Sub-2000 not much), so here it goes, basic positives and negatives to all:
    Sub-2000: Low price, but flimsy feeling and the sights aren't all that great. Neat folding design, light, good for backpacking, different versions available for different pistol mags, no caliber conversion options, not easy to suppress or SBR (front sight issue and folding feature negated since it can't latch).
    Uzi carbine: More expensive, built like a tank, cheap but good mags, sucky grip safety, fixed or folding stock option, easy to SBR or suppress, caliber conversion is possible but sourcing the parts is a pain these days.
    AR look-alikes: Hit and miss reliability and/or build quality with most brands...most are also pricey. The TNW version is good quality, easy scope mounting, easy to suppress or SBR while still being reliable (I've talked extensively with the owner at Knob Creek, he's a good guy and I trust his products), easy AND affordable caliber conversions(!), and cheap Glock mags.
    AR carbine: Most expensive, quality build characteristics, expensive proprietary mags (until recently), excellent sights, easy scope mounting, easy to SBR or suppress, totally customizable (stocks, grips, etc.), convertible to .223 and other calibers but that gets pricey quick. The PSA brings cheap Glock mags to the table, but loses the .223 convertibility. Only time will tell if PSA is going to make other pistol caliber uppers available for their Glock lower, but I don't think they will ever be as affordable as the TNW system.

Hopefully that covers things, but everyone feel free to ask questions or chime in.

I will say that the 2nd gen sub-2000 is made with higher quality polymer and has a better sight as well as a threaded barrel out of the box. It's a pleasant upgrade over the gen 1. I'll post a pic of mine later.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I will say that the 2nd gen sub-2000 is made with higher quality polymer and has a better sight as well as a threaded barrel out of the box. It's a pleasant upgrade over the gen 1. I'll post a pic of mine later.

They feel a bit better, but the sights are worse than the gen1. The one I shot of a friends had only had a few 100rds through it and the front sight was literally loose. Couldn't figure out why the zero on it sucked. Kind of hard to hit stuff with the front sight canted. If it weren't for that it would be neat, I've had the Gen1s, but I've always ended up selling them after a couple months. My AR9 pistol I've had for over 6mon with absolutely zero intentions on selling it. Yea their more expensive, but the feel is the same as your normal AR with the controls being the same as well. Just way your options before you go the Sub 2K route. Not that there is anything wrong with them other than what's been mentioned, but may be just worth while for ya to save a little more coin and just do an AR9.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    They feel a bit better, but the sights are worse than the gen1. The one I shot of a friends had only had a few 100rds through it and the front sight was literally loose. Couldn't figure out why the zero on it sucked. Kind of hard to hit stuff with the front sight canted. If it weren't for that it would be neat, I've had the Gen1s, but I've always ended up selling them after a couple months. My AR9 pistol I've had for over 6mon with absolutely zero intentions on selling it. Yea their more expensive, but the feel is the same as your normal AR with the controls being the same as well. Just way your options before you go the Sub 2K route. Not that there is anything wrong with them other than what's been mentioned, but may be just worth while for ya to save a little more coin and just do an AR9.

yowza. I've heard some complaints of that. The front sight is better than the gen 1 if it stays put though! The gen 1 front sight was all plastic cheap.

Put an RDS on mine to see how I liked it...uh a million times better than the irons. Have it set to a circle with a dot right now for inside the house, also have a green laser zeroed in at about 10 yards.

20151229_181639-1.jpg
    20151229_181455.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Oh yea for sure, the actual sight itself on the Gen2 is way better, they just didn't attach it correctly IMO. They should have had some mechanical attachment or retention to hold it on there, not adhesive. Just be mindful of the RDS on there have heard guys of having issues with the handgaurd not being secured enough for the RDS to hold zero. Just make sure your screws in the handgaurd are torqued.

3badkids

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No offense but if I were to buy an inexpensive pistol caliber carbine I would buy a high point over the sub2k. I'm not kidding either. I know I bought a sub2k and couldn't stand it. Besides the atrocious sights the trigger was soft (bent as pressure was applied) & the grip would slightly split open as I grabbed the extended mag. Now I'm an avid kel tec owner too but the sub let me down.

Back to the topic - Now there's been some good points made here about why someone would pay that much for an AR in a 9mm platform. Most of which I agree but the pleasure I remember most recently was when all my friends were complaining about ammo (5.56/.223) prices and availability for their ARs and I never felt the pinch. Call it supply & demand I guess but I kept enjoying my AR while most of my friends didn't.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    No offense but if I were to buy an inexpensive pistol caliber carbine I would buy a high point over the sub2k. I'm not kidding either. I know I bought a sub2k and couldn't stand it. Besides the atrocious sights the trigger was soft (bent as pressure was applied) & the grip would slightly split open as I grabbed the extended mag. Now I'm an avid kel tec owner too but the sub let me down.

Back to the topic - Now there's been some good points made here about why someone would pay that much for an AR in a 9mm platform. Most of which I agree but the pleasure I remember most recently was when all my friends were complaining about ammo (5.56/.223) prices and availability for their ARs and I never felt the pinch. Call it supply & demand I guess but I kept enjoying my AR while most of my friends didn't.

Gen 1 was pretty plastic...gen 2 is worth it imo, as long as you're paying like $400 or less out the door. 33 round glock mags > 10 round.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Good point
    I've handled the gen2 and it did appear to be a better version (more slim line / handguard design)

Plus the barrel is threaded if you want to suppress, they just fooked up on the way the front sight is secured, apparently. I've had no issues, but apparently some need loctite.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Just my luck. A couple months ago I traded my Just Right carbine in for this PSA 9mm that takes Colt mags;

20151116_143029pw_zpsjpci6mne.jpg

Rock solid and reliable. Now, I have to consider selling it and buying the Glock version. Since I have way more Glock mags than the 4 colt mags.
    wink.gif
    I'll have to contact PSA. Maybe I can just switch lowers. :dunno:

As I suspected, I can't just switch lowers. I'll probably sell mine and get the Glock version.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I've been thinking really hard about doing one of these in .40 because I already reload for it. Just can't decide between this or selling my DPMS and building a higher quality 5.56/223 with a seekins billet upper and lower. Decisions decisions.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I don't get it,........why get bent about the single-position feed Glock mags when the better dual feed Colt style mags are available cheaper. PSA sells those now for $20 each($12 each a few weeks ago on sale); the 33rd Glocks are $38. It can't be that important to be able to feed both pistol and carbine from the same mag.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    While i love my subgun carbine calibers.... i cant get behind a glock lower the reward slant to the mag bothers me for some reason....I will be waiting for LWRC's new Subgun work on the street it will use HK UMP Mags sadly there pricey ... but will be in 9,40, and 45

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    HTML:
    I don't get it,........why get bent about the single-position feed Glock mags when the better dual feed Colt style mags are available cheaper. PSA sells those now for $20 each($12 each a few weeks ago on sale); the 33rd Glocks are $38. It can't be that important to be able to feed both pistol and carbine from the same mag.

Perhaps not important, but very nice. At least from a Run-N-Gun standpoint for me anyway.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Because I already have six 33rd mags, and a dozen or so 17rd. And they work just fine,btw. Having to keep more mags of another type just adds to the clutter.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Because I already have six 33rd mags, and a dozen or so 17rd. And they work just fine,btw. Having to keep more mags of another type just adds to the clutter.

Kinda the same here as well. Since I already had 2 9mm Glocks it was kind of a no brainer to go with a Glock dedicated lower since I already had a bunch of mags for my pistols. Had I not already had the pistols may have been a different story.

Top Bottom