• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Well, a friend and I went to the Kankakee Wildlife Center for a meeting with DNR about the proposed deer rule changes. What I came away with is get ready boy's, they are going to go thru. Now, there wasn't anyone there that was in favor of everything but you could just tell the powers that be have made their minds up. Some of the biggest complaints was the new firearms season time. With what is proposed, we will be missing rut. They did say they were not against moving the opening of firearms to what it is now instead of pushing it back a week but it would only be 9 days. They said they are wanting to have more opening days for seasons to "Create more excitement over having a new opening day". Thats the reason of having an antlerless season of 2 days the second weekend of October in counties with a limit of 4 or more does. I had brought up the topic of a carry-over antlered tag. They said they had discussed that as well as having a bundled tag, such as 3 Doe tags for $30 for the firearms season. I also brought up that in my opinion there would be less mature Bucks taken because guys are going to be pressed to fill that antlered tag and will be less likely to pass up a smaller buck because they don't want to throw a tag away. They said that they want to create the excitement of having to take a buck sooner instead of going hunting the first week and not taking a buck right away. They also said the opening day of any season is the most productive and now we will have 4 of them. I dunno, the times are a changin'!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I went to the one yesterday at Pike Library. Glad I did, but I got the same feeling: it's a foregone conclusion, and this is just a formality.

A nice DNR officer walked up to me after I had finished writing my comments, and since he didn't look like he had anything to say, I started the conversation saying that I was very opposed to the season changes, and that reducing the time in the field will reduce the number of deer I can take... and that I will buy tags and take deer until my freezer is full, or I run out of hunting days.

His responses were that the new doe only seasons would help and that firearms tag is antlered deer only.

My response was that I buy both tags during firearm season so I could take whichever deer I could. Also that the additional doe seasons don't really help much for the average hunter... many of them, myself included, rely on public land, and many of the public hunting lands do not allow taking antlerless deer. Also the land closest to my house Hendricks, Boone, and Hamilton County, are in the urban deer zone, but there isn't any public land to hunt... and that I have not been able to find any private land to hunt that the owner didn't want a lease for $500-$1000. No doe hunter is going to pay that money to just to put meat in their freezer. When you take into account licenses gas and processing I'm paying about $3/pound for the deer in my freezer. If I have to pay for a lease, well, I'm just going to go pay $4-$5 a pound to go to Sam's Club or buy a side of beef to put in my freezer. And that their plan is going to backfire.

Well by the end of our conversation we had walked over to the posters that show the new seasons, and he had leaned against the table in a listening posture, and to my last few comment he said "You're right." "You're right." "You're right."

Doubt it will make any difference though.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    In the past a lot of these “groups” got their way because Indiana hunters in general were apathetic about participating in the Administrative Rules Process. They either did not know about the process, how it worked or just thought that their input was not going to make any difference.

As we have seen during this deer change process if enough people get involved they can make a difference.

According to the “Open Letter to Indiana Deer Hunters” issued by Bryan Poynter of the Natural Resources Commission they are taking another look at the deer proposals. That does not mean that they will change them though.

Now one might think that enough was done. Not true. Now is not the time to let up, but a time to get more involved and more importantly get others involved.

This is not over by a long shot.

Contact as many of your friends as possible that deer hunt and have them and yourself to send in more input to the NRC at - . http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

The future of Indiana deer hunting depends on you. Get involved and STAY involved..

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You can thank Indiana Deer Hunter Association, Quality Deer Management and the big leasing operations for that. Base Camp Leasing and the rest of the outfitters in the state who want to take the public resource and turn it in to their private pot of gold.

Them and guys like uncle poacher ted.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    This is not over by a long shot.

Contact as many of your friends as possible that deer hunt and have them and yourself to send in more input to the NRC at - . http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

The future of Indiana deer hunting depends on you. Get involved and STAY involved..
    Absolutely, I attended the meeting in Indy on Monday and I came away with the feeling the DNR is willing to listen and can change if hunters express their views.
    I have left my comments on the NRC website and also have a letter drafted which will be sent to Chad Stewart(the deer biologist) and Mark Reiter-head of Fish and Wildlife.
    e-mail cstewart@dnr.In.gov----MREITER@dnr.In.gov

I don't have a problem with most of the proposal but am against shortening the gun seasons and believe the crossbow should be allowed in all seasons a stick or compound bow is legal.

Steve

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    I think Wisconsin went to a "must fill doe tag before purchasing a buck tag" rule. If their goal is to reduce the doe population then they need to do that. too many trophy hunters are not taking any deer in a given year meaning they are not part of the management process.

Personally against crossbow in the archery season. Archery is about skill and close contact hunting.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Them and guys like uncle poacher ted.

Who has done more to promote the sport of hunting in his lifetime than most men could ever dream of. He's a hunting legend for a reason and rightly so. He promotes ethics, takes kids hunting, and bashes the antis. Yeah, he messed up but he also had the balls to say he messed up. It's not like he got caught running down deer in a corn field with a pickup and killing them with a fully auto AR 15.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    too many trophy hunters are not taking any deer in a given year meaning they are not part of the management process.

Actually I think this statement couldn't be further from the truth. I for one am a trophy hunter. Myself along with the guys I hunt with do everything we can to increase our chances of killing a mature buck. It doesn't work all the time but when it all comes together, it's AWESOME. As a trophy hunter, I try to do my part to better the herd. In my specific hunting areas, this means killing does. Last year I filled every antlerless tag I could legally fill and watched a youth hunter take his first doe. Not only is this a vital part of the equation, it's also a helluva lot of fun. The guys I have a problem with are the guys that ONLY hunt for a buck. On a couple farms we only have permission to bowhunt and some other guys move in for gun season. Most of these guys would never think about shooting a doe, but will hammer the first year and a half old buck that wanders within 50 yards of their stand. WHY??? What does that deer do for you that a doe of equal size won't? All you're going to do is cut the rack off and hang it in your barn with 30 other ones just like it. Then they reply with a comment like "well, there's my deer for the year I'm done." I think all in all a true trophy hunter will help an area far more than he will hurt it. I for one am for every one of the rules up for question as I only hunt archery. Also, for the guys that are going to complain that they are losing time in the woods, GET A BOW, LEARN TO SHOOT IT, HAVE FUN WITH IT, and you can hunt from Oct 1-first week of January. End rant.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Actually I think this statement couldn't be further from the truth. I for one am a trophy hunter. Myself along with the guys I hunt with do everything we can to increase our chances of killing a mature buck. It doesn't work all the time but when it all comes together, it's AWESOME. As a trophy hunter, I try to do my part to better the herd. In my specific hunting areas, this means killing does. Last year I filled every antlerless tag I could legally fill and watched a youth hunter take his first doe. Not only is this a vital part of the equation, it's also a helluva lot of fun. The guys I have a problem with are the guys that ONLY hunt for a buck. On a couple farms we only have permission to bowhunt and some other guys move in for gun season. Most of these guys would never think about shooting a doe, but will hammer the first year and a half old buck that wanders within 50 yards of their stand. WHY??? What does that deer do for you that a doe of equal size won't? All you're going to do is cut the rack off and hang it in your barn with 30 other ones just like it. Then they reply with a comment like "well, there's my deer for the year I'm done." I think all in all a true trophy hunter will help an area far more than he will hurt it. I for one am for every one of the rules up for question as I only hunt archery. Also, for the guys that are going to complain that they are losing time in the woods, GET A BOW, LEARN TO SHOOT IT, HAVE FUN WITH IT, and you can hunt from Oct 1-first week of January. End rant.

I agree completely! I am refering to the buck hunters who don't take does. Where I hunt I surveyed 7 hunters that boarder my grounds. 4 of the 7 have not taken ANY deer in the past 5 years because they were hunting only large bucks. two had taken only bucks. The 7th takes 1-2 does along with his buck. Gee. two does in the region. No wonder the area farmer got depredation permits.

I told them that if they took harvested several does, the bucks would have more time and energy to grow antlers instead of trying to breed all those does. they agreed they were not doing their part.

On the other hand, I know someone who manages the entire herd. If you watch the outdoor channel you may have seen some of their results ;)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also, for the guys that are going to complain that they are losing time in the woods, GET A BOW, LEARN TO SHOOT IT, HAVE FUN WITH IT, and you can hunt from Oct 1-first week of January. End rant.

That is one answer. The problem with that is I am hunting to get out there and enjoy myself and have meat. I have the equipment already for gun hunting. I can't justify $500-1000 to get setup for bow hunting. Just can't. If the new rules go into place, I just won't go out. I think that will happen for many. I ground hunt, and I have no delusions that I would have any luck ground hunting with a bow. I'm just not skilled enough.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You honestly don't need to spend that much on a bow setup that will work. I know plenty of people with yard sale bows that they had better fit for them(not the perfect setup and not the newest but they work). The land I use to bow hunt on isn't available anymore even though it is still in the family, aunt thinks hunting is way too dangerous whether its firearm or bow.

I haven't hunted in 2-3 years because of the lack of land. The last time I was out I was on a farm that my friend lived on(his father in law's land) and we were looking for does. We weren't about to take bad shots so neither of us took a deer when we were out. The last time I hunted my family's land I didn't take a shot because the only thing I saw was a doe with twin fawns(I was sitting at the base of a tree and the doe actually came up and was sniffing my boots, I would've hit her if I raised my shotgun). That land, if I were allowed to hunt, would produce some nice bucks. I was out with 1 of my brothers and we saw a 12 point buck but it was bow season and neither of us had a clear shot so we didn't take it.

When I'd bow hunt, about half the time would be on the ground. Slow moving into a thick that had a really old burn barrel that had been turned over. We'd scouted and never saw deer moving through that spot so I cleared a few lanes. If there was a deer in range/a clear shot, I would've taken it with my cheap bow that was fitted. I think between my brother and I we had maybe $400 in equipment. We had them fitted/tuned and spent money on time at an indoor range and practiced outdoors as well.

You don't need the latest PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Mathews, whatever compound bow. Being a good shot is about practice, not about the latest technology.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    That is one answer. The problem with that is I am hunting to get out there and enjoy myself and have meat. I have the equipment already for gun hunting. I can't justify $500-1000 to get setup for bow hunting. Just can't. If the new rules go into place, I just won't go out. I think that will happen for many. I ground hunt, and I have no delusions that I would have any luck ground hunting with a bow. I'm just not skilled enough.

My point is only that if you want to, you could hunt for 3+ months instead of a few weeks. You can buy a brand new setup with just about everything you need from cabelas/bass pro for 2-300 usually. Wait till last years bows go on sale and BINGO. I was at cabelas the other night and saw some really decent setups for $249. Treestands can be had for cheap if you look in the right places too. I think a lot of people use this excuse (not directed towards you) because they are lazy and don't want to put any work into deer hunting.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Bow hunters are trying to eliminate firearms hunting, and suceeding. Hopefully they'll be able to sell enough licenses to make up for the lost income from gun hunters, because I've had more than a few folks in my store say the shortened season doesn't make it worthwhile for them to buy one to go firearms hunting.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Bow hunters are trying to eliminate firearms hunting, and suceeding. Hopefully they'll be able to sell enough licenses to make up for the lost income from gun hunters, because I've had more than a few folks in my store say the shortened season doesn't make it worthwhile for them to buy one to go firearms hunting.

Huh?
    There is no such agenda by the Indiana Bowhunters Association-The states' bowhunter organization.

The only stance related to elimination or prevention is not allowing crossbows in archery season. They have been public on that stance for years.

I know because I am a member.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Huh?
    There is no such agenda by the Indiana Bowhunters Association-The states' bowhunter organization.

The only stance related to elimination or prevention is not allowing crossbows in archery season. They have been public on that stance for years.

I know because I am a member.

It's been the stance of more than a few archery only hunters in the store. Many of them feel they own the woods, and have said outright they would like to see firearms season eliminated. Aren't overly fond of small game hunters like me, either. It's a short sighted viewpoint, but to pretend it's not out there is unrealistic.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Also, for the guys that are going to complain that they are losing time in the woods, GET A BOW, LEARN TO SHOOT IT, HAVE FUN WITH IT, and you can hunt from Oct 1-first week of January. End rant.

End rant... and an example of the viewpoint I was referencing.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I'm wondering if the pressure to mess with the what we have for seasons is coming from the car insurance company's...? Lots of deer get hit an maybe they are letting the DNR an others know they want the deer herd lowered...? I miss the old days long ago when you could get a license for around 5.95.....an could take 2 bucks during archery, or a buck during archery an one during gun....if the game in Indiana belongs to the people of Indiana, why do we have to spend so much $$ on tags.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Who has done more to promote the sport of hunting in his lifetime than most men could ever dream of. He's a hunting legend for a reason and rightly so. He promotes ethics, takes kids hunting, and bashes the antis. Yeah, he messed up but he also had the balls to say he messed up. It's not like he got caught running down deer in a corn field with a pickup and killing them with a fully auto AR 15.

He does nothing for hunting. He does for himself. He's a poacher, a liar, and a cheat. For hunting? Hunting inside a fence over a pile of corn isn't hunting and it's his normal style, not a one time thing.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My point is only that if you want to, you could hunt for 3+ months instead of a few weeks. You can buy a brand new setup with just about everything you need from cabelas/bass pro for 2-300 usually. Wait till last years bows go on sale and BINGO. I was at cabelas the other night and saw some really decent setups for $249. Treestands can be had for cheap if you look in the right places too. I think a lot of people use this excuse (not directed towards you) because they are lazy and don't want to put any work into deer hunting.

I can do that with out any rule changes.

These office space hunting lobbiest who do their deer hunting at the DNR office whining for rules changes can kill what ever they want to kill with out any rule changes too, if they weren't so "lazy" and put as much effort in to hunting in the woods as they do in to crying to politicians and government officials.

Top Bottom