• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I belong to another forum and there is some discussion back and forth on AK47's. One side says that AK47's are actaully the fully automatic battle rifles, not what is sold in most gun shops today (Semi-Auto's) I have always been under the assumption that the rifles bought and sold that are not fully auto are still AK-47's as a group, and there are different manufactuers, models.....
    So is it correct that the only AK 47 is the original fully auto battle rifle, and all the semi autos sold today are merely called AK47's because of the similarity and architecture?
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So is it correct that the only AK 47 is the original fully auto battle rifle, and all the semi autos sold today are merely called AK47's because of the similarity and architecture?

Yes. The term "AK-47" technically only applies to the select-fire military rifle with the milled receiver; the select-fire military gun with the stamped receiver is known as the AKM.

That said, the term has been genericized to cover ANY gun of that lineage that fires the 7.62x39 cartridge, much like "Coke" is used for any type of dark soda, or "Scotch tape" can mean any kind of transparent film tape.

I, personally, use "AK style rifle" or "AK variant" when describing a generic semi-auto rifle of the Kalashnikov pattern, or the particular model (SAR-1, SLR-95, etc) where appropriate.

My :twocents:

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Yes. The term "AK-47" technically only applies to the select-fire military rifle with the milled receiver; the select-fire military gun with the stamped receiver is known as the AKM.

That said, the term has been genericized to cover ANY gun of that lineage that fires the 7.62x39 cartridge, much like "Coke" is used for any type of dark soda, or "Scotch tape" can mean any kind of transparent film tape.

:+1:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    After all, we call them AR-15's not M-16's. And even then, we have just adopted the more popular model designation to refer to a braod class of rifles.:dunno:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I try not to think that hard, it hurts. :D

For me I agree with the above, I think that the term AK47 has now become a generic term to include all rifles in that "style".

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After all, we call them AR-15's not M-16's. And even then, we have just adopted the more popular model designation to refer to a braod class of rifles.:dunno:

Actually they were AR-15s before they became M16s. :D

Also, the Soviet military never used the designation "AK-47". The litteral translation for the original milled rifle is Automatic Kalashnikov Type 3. The later stamped rifle became the Automatic Kalashnikov Modernized (AKM). It wasn't until the stamped 5.45x39 version came out did the AK get a number, AK-74.

The "47 designation was more a US government/news media thing. In reality, even though the AK was approved in 1947, it wasn't approved for production because of design issues. It finally was accepted and entered production in 1949.

I agree with Shooter that our ATF approved, infringed upon rifles are more properly called AK variants.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    (everyone I have ever shot shoots like crap even mine!):laugh:
    Well, it seems that we've eliminated the cause for bad shooting then huh? If every one that "you" shoot shoots like crap, then it's likely the shooter.

Or, it could just be that you have shot some crappy AK's.

My Vector's will drive tacks at 100 yards. I can normally keep groups inside 2 1/2 inches if I really try, but trying would defeat the purpose of shooting an AK wouldn't it?

My friend had his Century WASR at the range the same day I had one of my Vector's out there and he was complaining that he couldn't hit the steel poppers at 100 yards, so we switched guns. Sure enough, he started hitting steel with my Vector and I couldn't hit crap with his Century. So all AK's aren't equal; country of origin and builder/build quality are both very important.

Top Bottom