Progressive & Performance Collision Center ripping me off.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I call BS on what you were told. If it kicked on the check engine light while it was still running, it would have stored a code. The codes may not show up as pending when restarted though.

The only thing a key should have done is prevent the car from starting and may have tripped a code for an unrecognized key.

I'm still thinking fuse or ground issue as higher likelihood of the issue
    Exactly! I told both performance and Kia that they're bullshitting me because if it threw codes - which it obviously would have if CEL, oil, battery light all went on and it died - it would at LEAST be in the history.

They said 'no if they aren't on when we check we won't get any codes'

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A wiring harness or ground issue sounds plausible.

The idea that a bunch of different sensors went bad all at once is far fetched.

You need to find a good auto diagnostician. They are few and far between. Too many "parts changers" these days and not enough mechanics.
    Too many mechanics that get stuck in the mindset of plug in a scan tool and read codes, then throw parts at it.

I would be looking at wiring diagrams to see where the circuits for oil press/oxygen sensors/ battery/ etc all come together.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Too many mechanics that get stuck in the mindset of plug in a scan tool and read codes, then throw parts at it.

I would be looking at wiring diagrams to see where the circuits for oil press/oxygen sensors/ battery/ etc all come together.
    Ever watched "South Main Auto" on YouTube? That guy has a great process for tracking down electrical gremlins.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Front. A guy ran a light turning and turned into me before basically stopping in front of me. So technically I hit him but he blew the light so..

I was going at least 30 still while on the brakes. I had nowhere to swerve at this intersection otherwise I would have avoided him.

The whole wiring harness was replaced as well as tons of other things. I don't even think they gave me the final paperwork - I got the car from the dealer and haven't even been back to performance out of fear I'll strangle someone.
    View attachment 194829
    There are a couple different wiring harnesses on these cars, but it looks like the engine compartment fuse block right there.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Exactly! I told both performance and Kia that they're bullshitting me because if it threw codes - which it obviously would have if CEL, oil, battery light all went on and it died - it would at LEAST be in the history.

That would only be the case if they had the bottom of the barrel scanner.

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Wow what a nightmare. I worked in a body shop for 30 years. I am sure whatever is wrong with it is the result of the accident or something that was damaged in the repair. Like others have said trade it in now. Keep your fingers crossed it does not die out when you do. Also, another thing I learned along the way. Always get a lawyer for injury you going to get. Pain and suffering.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Front. A guy ran a light turning and turned into me before basically stopping in front of me. So technically I hit him but he blew the light so..

I was going at least 30 still while on the brakes. I had nowhere to swerve at this intersection otherwise I would have avoided him.

The whole wiring harness was replaced as well as tons of other things. I don't even think they gave me the final paperwork - I got the car from the dealer and haven't even been back to performance out of fear I'll strangle someone.
    View attachment 194829
    Looking at the picture, I see what looks like thea fuse box with wiring harness coming right out of it. That's probably the harness that was replaced.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

They said 'no if they aren't on when we check we won't get any codes
    Correct

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You guys are ridiculous! Dealerships cannot even get workers and some of you think those workers should actually know how to fix things…
    Reality is nationally speaking there is a significant shortage of qualified technicians for auto and diesel repair as well as collision repair.
    Unfortunately, most people don't realize how complex modern vehicles are. Seriously, these cars are technologically much more advanced than what NASA sent to the moon. Add all the modern creature comforts and conveniences they have and those add significantly to the complexity. Tech's are constantly playing catch up on the ever advancing technology and are expected to know how to fix it.
    Now resources are much more available than in years past but you have to be constantly learning to even keep up.
    All that makes it tough to find well qualified people for any shop

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can tell you, being on the shop side of the equation, they'd be silly to not try to take care of you. I can't imagine any reason that if the damage, or problem, was caused by the accident damage, that they wouldn't take care of it. I try to go the extra mile for all of my customers.

I take offense to your comment. Judging from your post, I'd guess you are, or were, a mechanic. That would be like me classifying most all mechanics as a bunch of backwoods hillbillies, that don't know what they are doing. Sure, there are some shops that do suck, but most of us mom and pop shops are here trying to support our families and be good citizens of our communities.
    I can see this might ruffle your feathers but if you are one of the good ones then good on you and your staff.
    You have to know that we in the car world are very aware of the number of powers that hang a sign. And there are many of them. Far too many actually. So please don’t take that personally.
    Yes he is a mechanic.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I can see this might ruffle your feathers but if you are one of the good ones then good on you and your staff.
    You have to know that we in the car world are very aware of the number of powers that hang a sign. And there are many of them. Far too many actually. So please don’t take that personally.
    Yes he is a mechanic.
    I have pretty big shoulders. It may seem like my feathers were ruffled, but I'm good. I've also been in the collision industry for thirty years, and have seen some shoddy work from many places. Progressive and Geico, in my opinion, are the worst to deal with.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I know who can fix this....but Lord only knows how long it may take for him to get it in. Steve at Dan Jones Automotive is one of the best electrical guys I have ever seen, but man......you shouldn't have to pay for this.

My daughter had Progressive when she hit a deer a while back. She got no where with them...here car had damage that the auto body shop couldnt fix (busted transmission pan). They kept giving her the run around, passing the buck, and finally I got involved. I learned you just had to throw being respectful out the window. Your car was fine before accident, should have a factory warranty and you should be responsible for nothing but your deductible, which you can sue to recover, if not your fault.

Your insurance is obligated to make you whole, put you back in the same position you were in before damage happened. I would kindly let them know you are going to lawyer up if they don't get it resolved. I wouldn't even talk to the body shop or the dealer, I would make Progressive 100% of my concern, and then let Progressive worry about finding out who caused what damage and what they can collect.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had Progressive for years… until I had an accident. They were absolutely terrible to work with. Luckily, my car was totaled and didn’t need to deal with a body shop. But the runaround that I got from Progressive was enough to make me pull my hair out. I told them straight up that as soon as I got my check, I was done with them. And I kept my word.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

again, the body shop can't do the diagnostics for this. That's why they send them to the dealer. They got your new windshield already right? Now it's trying to find an elecrical problem on a 2020 vehicle. Most dealers aren't good at it because they can' make money for that. Especially when you have an insurance company calling the shots.

The number of times I've jumped through hoops to get the **** an insurance company will pay for that doesn't work is idiotic. But they pay the bill and we have to jump through their loops.

Top Bottom