• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a preliminary response from The person monitoring the inbox. Said they are aware of the law change and will forward to the city attorney to see what, if any, changes need to be made. Also said they didn't understand the reason the law was changed. Clearly not that sympathetic to our cause or just not liking local power being usurped by state.
    I'll post full text when there's a resolution.

Here's the final response. I offered to donate the cost to repair the sign as a sign of good faith.

----
    We may not be able to prohibit people from carrying guns in our park but it is against the law to discharge a gun within the park or within the town limits. *We will make any changes that we are required to make - it's just finding the money to replace the sign - that entire park has been built with donations.

I am so happy for your son - I loved fishing with my Dad when I was little! *That's on my wish list if we raise enough money - stocking the pond with more fish!

Awesome!

They will change it. One of the Avon park directors (the less informed of the 2) tried to give me a similar story, but it was quickly changed as the cost of the "update" to the sign is very small compared to what a lawsuit would cost them.

Do not let them goad you into any other discussion/argument, just indicate that the sign needs to be changed in order to be compliant with state law as you already did and that you look forward to their prompt follow up. This statement: "We may not be able to prohibit people from carrying guns in our park but it is against the law to discharge a gun within the park or within the town limits." was clearly for the bureaucrat to try and still exercise his dominance in a situation where he knew he was backed into a corner and in the wrong. There is no reason to even respond to that.

The other Avon park sign that I did not show a picture of was just painted over on the area discussing firearms.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    As of this afternoon they will be covering the
    Cost of sign change but I'm donating money to stock the pond with bass/catfish as the sign of goodwill. We shouldn't just point out problems but help with the solution when possible iMHO. I asked that it be in INGO's name but they don't allow advertising. Turns out it's 100% tax deductible if anyone wants to make a donation in honor of fallen millitary, fire, police, EMS

edit: I'll now be making the donation in honor of David Moore, an IMPD officer killed in the line of duty on Jan 26, 2011. He was a good friend of my sister-in-law.

http://davidsmoorefoundation.org/

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Here's the final update. My wife and I sent a check and the town council had a meeting it appears. This was a win-win for the town and for us gun owners! Bring your worms and fishing licenses next year, probably be some great fishing.

-------

I received your check today! Bless your heart – I am astounded. I have attached a copy of the brick paver that I ordered yesterday – it should be installed in the Pathway of Honor at the Police, Fire and Emergency Responders Memorial within the next week or two. I hope you like it. Our council passed an ordinance last night to repeal any language in conflict with Indiana Code Chapter 35-47-11.1 regarding the carrying of firearms. I am ordering replacement language for the signs this week. We will replace Rule #4 at Proctor Park with something about it being a Catch & Release Pond. Thanks so much for contacting me and for your generous donation – have a great week – you surely made mine!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Here's the final update. My wife and I sent a check and the town council had a meeting it appears. This was a win-win for the town and for us gun owners! Bring your worms and fishing licenses next year, probably be some great fishing.

-------

I received your check today! Bless your heart – I am astounded. I have attached a copy of the brick paver that I ordered yesterday – it should be installed in the Pathway of Honor at the Police, Fire and Emergency Responders Memorial within the next week or two. I hope you like it. Our council passed an ordinance last night to repeal any language in conflict with Indiana Code Chapter 35-47-11.1 regarding the carrying of firearms. I am ordering replacement language for the signs this week. We will replace Rule #4 at Proctor Park with something about it being a Catch & Release Pond. Thanks so much for contacting me and for your generous donation – have a great week – you surely made mine!
    Well Done! You have represented yourself and the 2A community admirably. Kudos to the town council as well.

I would say the donation you and your wife made was well spent and a great investment. :yesway:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

-------

Most excellent!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The system works! A new text will read catch and release.

f7c776c4.jpg

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I wonder what they plan to do with the signs in the other town parks?

I drive by West Park on a semi-regular basis, I paid closer attention last week, didn't see anything about firearms, and did not look edited, so maybe not all of them had the firearm language to begin with?

:dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom