• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    :dunno:Now I am confused? So you can carry in public parks? I was told that you cannot cary in public parks in indianapolis, i.e. Eagle Creek Park? Can somebody clue me in?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If the rules are governed by State and local Laws then they need to strike the part about firearms being prohibited. State law concerning any firearm prohibitions now preempt Local law. State law says Good to Go in municipally owned parks.

Taken from the Town's website:

Park Rules for All New Whiteland Parks

1. PARK CLOSES AT 10:00PM
    2. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE PROHIBITED.
    3. PARKING ON GRASS IS PROHIBITED.
    4. PARKING LOT FOR PATRONS WHILE USING PARKING LOT FACILITIES
    *OVERNIGHT PARKING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED
    5. FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED.
    THESE REGULATIONS GOVERNED BY STATE AND LOCAL LAWS

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    :dunno:Now I am confused? So you can carry in public parks? I was told that you cannot cary in public parks in indianapolis, i.e. Eagle Creek Park? Can somebody clue me in?

Many local governments would like for you to continue believing that firearms are still prohibited in public parks, up to and including, local law enforcement still citing individuals under ordinance.

Apparently they don't know how to read state law.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Many local governments would like for you to continue believing that firearms are still prohibited in public parks, up to and including, local law enforcement still citing individuals under ordinance.

Apparently they don't know how to read state law.
    That's right. It's a form of intimidation if done willfully. Those who aren't in the know of SB292 will not realize it is now legal to carry in those places and won't. As has been said before on other threads what would happen if someone posted, "No African-Americans Allowed in City Parks?" It is blatantly illegal but you couldn't get by with saying, "We just don't want to change the sign."

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    That's right. It's a form of intimidation if done willfully. Those who aren't in the know of SB292 will not realize it is now legal to carry in those places and won't. As has been said before on other threads what would happen if someone posted, "No African-Americans Allowed in City Parks?" It is blatantly illegal but you couldn't get by with saying, "We just don't want to change the sign."

images

Imagine the outrage.......

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had great luck with getting a couple of the parks in Avon to change the signs with some emails to the Park Directors, indicating the specific references to the IC's and letting them know that the signs opened the town to liability from litigation.

Much of this was detailed in this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...south_bend_parks_dept_violating_sb_292_a.html

It took about 2 days to get responses, and the signs changed.

Just point out to them the specific state laws, quoting and referencing them specifically with URLs, etc really helps, and let them know that there is liability involved, and things should move quickly.

In the case of the Avon signs, they updated them without the need to replace the sign, which was fine with me. Here was a pic of one of the updated signs:

picture.php

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    New Whiteland has never had a sheriff. Was your uncle the Sheriff of Johnson County?

That sign is less than a year old.

Um, yeah, the county, but the jail and all were in New Whiteland. By the timing of the law, it could be only a year old, valid when posted but not now.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Um, yeah, the county, but the jail and all were in New Whiteland. By the timing of the law, it could be only a year old, valid when posted but not now.

Johnson County Jail has never been in Whiteland, or New Whiteland. It has always been in Franklin. New Whiteland used to have a Wednesday night traffic court here about 15 years ago but even that has been long gone. There is no jail in either town, not even a holding tank, I've lived in the area for going on 30 years.

The Town of New Whiteland was incorporated in July 1954. The re-routing of US 31 distinguished New Whiteland as one of two communities located on the new highway between Indianapolis and Seymour. New Whiteland had promises of being an area with business advantages. It was faith in these possibilities that led Marley Williams and other Whiteland businessmen to build and expand for the future. Thus the new community growth became known as New Whiteland.

Sgt Joe Proctor was killed in action in Iraq on May 3, 2006. The park in his name was dedicated on May 3, 2008. He was a 1987 graduate of Whiteland Community High School and was awarded the Silver Star for his heroic actions, that resulted in his death.

A lot of signs and equipment has been added to the park since dedication day, you're probably right about the sign being at least a year old...time flies when you start getting older.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks, but I seem to recall reading that some public areas were grandfathered in and the new state law didn't apply, not sure that I am correct?

From the quoted IC:

Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.

There are some very specific exceptions listed in section 4, but no grandfather clause.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, I was a kid at the time so I guess I was cornfused. I know something or other was in New Whiteland, now it's going to bug me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just got off the phone with the town hall contact info and they stated te park was owned by the town. Time to compose an email.

ATM, I'll be cutting and pasting your post without attribution. It would just confuse them if I said "this dude named ATM on this forum said..."

Top Bottom