• ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    'Contact Distance'

'Point Blank Range' refers to the maximum distance at which the sights don't need adjustment to be on target. Some of the flatter shooting cartridges have a point blank range of nearly 300 yards.

Common mistake and a pet peeve of mine. We need to use our own terminology correctly or we let our oponents control our language.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    It doesn't appear to be the same guy. The OP story was about a guy who shot himself while in his basement testing out a newly installed grip safety. Tex used a Kimber, the OP story used a Rock Island. It sounds like they both suffered similar wounds to the same area though.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    'Contact Distance'

'Point Blank Range' refers to the maximum distance at which the sights don't need adjustment to be on target. Some of the flatter shooting cartridges have a point blank range of nearly 300 yards.

Common mistake and a pet peeve of mine. We need to use our own terminology correctly or we let our oponents control our language.

Rep'd.

This drives me crazy as well. I hear it all the time on the news "blah blah shot 'point blank' with a pistol blah blah...". My first though is always "wow, what a marksman".

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    I just read through most of the blog as well....all the medical testing is a little mind boggling. This should be a good reminder for everyone to be safe and not sorry.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Weak...Here is one of my buddies after he was shot...taken 7.62x54r but at 500 yds or so.

xazx9e.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's quite the educational story. How many times to we hear 'shot in the leg' and come away thinking it's not a big deal. He does a great job of documenting how a fairly clean flesh wound impacted his life over the course of 5 years and counting. It's a good reminder of what is at stake when handling a gun. Even the ones lucky enough to survive with just a flesh wound can pay a high price for their mistake.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom