• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edistoriverrat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Hey guys, something I posted elsewhere and did not get an answer. I have never noticed this before until I started saving my cases to maybe reload someday. I found about 25 of my old already fired 30-30 cases and ALL of them have the primer slightly blown out of the case, enough, so that the shell will wobble on a flat surface.
    These are all factory new loads out of the box Win 150g hp, Win 130g st, Rem 170g sp core lokt, Win 170g power point.
    I checked all the new rounds still in the boxes and all the primers are flush with the case like they are supposed to be.
    The rifle in question my uncle gave to me was brand new, he bought it years ago and only fired it 3 times, and put it up, never to be touched again, till I got it.
    It is a Marlin 30-30 336 RC.
    Is the primer blowout normal or is it something I should check further.
    Thanks

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Don't know what it means but just went through my stash of 30/30 brass and it looks like most of them are like this. Checked about 50 cases.

doddsracing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Norman,IN
    I have two 94 winchesters and have never saw this on any of my brass,checked some cases laying on the bench all are flat .Don`t know what would cause this on a new gun?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Sounds like a potential headspace issue or the boltface in your lever action is not seating completely against the base of the brass allowing the primer to protrude upon firing. I am not familiar with how the brass is held by the Marlin though so just throwing the ideas out there.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Hey guys, something I posted elsewhere and did not get an answer. I have never noticed this before until I started saving my cases to maybe reload someday. I found about 25 of my old already fired 30-30 cases and ALL of them have the primer slightly blown out of the case, enough, so that the shell will wobble on a flat surface.
    These are all factory new loads out of the box Win 150g hp, Win 130g st, Rem 170g sp core lokt, Win 170g power point.
    I checked all the new rounds still in the boxes and all the primers are flush with the case like they are supposed to be.
    The rifle in question my uncle gave to me was brand new, he bought it years ago and only fired it 3 times, and put it up, never to be touched again, till I got it.
    It is a Marlin 30-30 336 RC.
    Is the primer blowout normal or is it something I should check further.
    Thanks

I would have to agree with bstewrat3, and have the headspace checked since it is doing the same thing to all those different factory loads.
    :twocents:

edistoriverrat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone, glad to know at least somebody else has the same problem. I really hate to let anyone mess with the rifle, and it does shoot quite well, so I will probably just leave alone for now. As long as it don't start blowing them out more than half way anyway.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    It's low pressure that typically causes it, not high pressure.
    If there isn't enough pressure, the primer will remain backed out.
    It could be excess headspace, but you would usually see some cracked or broken cases.

If you have ever fired wax or rubber practice rounds, the primers will almost always be backed out due to very low pressures.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    BudS is right about it being pronounced by low chamber pressure. High pressure would be stretching the brass and slamming the case head back against the breech. Pretty common on a 30/30 lever gun. Low pressure, loose headspace tolerance and thin, soft brass all contribute. I do not think you are in any danger, I have seen this for 40 years on lots of different lever guns.

If we scraped out all the model 94 winchesters that had sloppy headspace, I do not think there would be any left.

Top Bottom