Prime example of why you carry in the vehicle (Video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Being attacked while sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle is a realistic possibility wherever you are. This is a topic of special interest to lefties, who are at an inherent disadvantage in such an attack.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    This is a really bad idea. What if he comes to as you approach him? What if he is playing possum? What if you kick the gun away and he has a backup? What if he has a knife?

Just keep your gun trained on him, and, if he moves to attack you shoot him again.

Depends. Unarmed and running away? Probably. This guy had a gun was definitely a threat. The first couple of shots seemed fine.....thast last one may have some civil problems? Not sure. I'm not a lawyer...but I think you can definitely say he was a threat. You'd probably need a la-la liberal jury to get any money out of him.

I was going thru the way I was trained in the corps and forgot a few details as keeping your weapon trained on him as you approach. After a while alot of the things we were taught became muscle memory and you tend to forget a few things when explaining to others. You end up just doing it. I've had this problem when trying to teach my wife shooting the pistol and rifle. You want to control the situation and being 3ft away gun to the head and the guy wants to move allows you a clean kill shot. Some of the basic skills for searching someone who may or may not be booby trapped from the corps.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Being attacked while sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle is a realistic possibility wherever you are. This is a topic of special interest to lefties, who are at an inherent disadvantage in such an attack.

Being a righty, I had never thought of that. What do lefties do to counteract this? Just train right handed?

I was going thru the way I was trained in the corps and forgot a few details as keeping your weapon trained on him as you approach. After a while alot of the things we were taught became muscle memory and you tend to forget a few things when explaining to others. You end up just doing it. I've had this problem when trying to teach my wife shooting the pistol and rifle. You want to control the situation and being 3ft away gun to the head and the guy wants to move allows you a clean kill shot. Some of the basic skills for searching someone who may or may not be booby trapped from the corps.

I see where you're coming from, but I would pose this point: You won't be acting as a marine in a self defense shooting here in the states. (And I'm assuming that since you're in IN, that you're out of the Corps?) You're defending yourself now, not your platoon. There really isn't any value in you searching the guy. You're not going to be taking him into custody. This isn't Iraq. He won't have a bomb on him, nor will he have intel that you need. Let the cops do all that. Minimize the risk to yourself.

You have a new AO and a new mission: Protect yourself and your family from criminals here in the Wild MidWest. Change your SOPs accordingly. :twocents:

And thanks for your service. :yesway::yesway:

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A lot to be said for having your vehicle carry piece where you can get at it very quickly in a close encounter attack.

Just curious, if that had happened in Indiana, would the good guy have been in trouble for firing at the attacker after he started running away?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I thought the guy did awesome considering this was real with a real adrenalin dump and real physiological realization of "OH ****, this guy is about to kill me!". Verses critiquing a drill that was held in a class with airsoft.

Not wanting to fast forward to the actual attack I noticed the guy was fairly alert to his environment even when it was still just a typical day. I can imagine that is required of many parts of the world.

I was really surprised at how fast he was able to deploy his weapon. I think sound would help with this. The ooda loop lets you subconsciously notice things like atypical engine noise. Meaning, if he knows there isn't a stop sign for a while and the car slow rolling around the corner as he walks to his car sounds like it stopped just out of sight...condition butterscotch! Plus, did the bad guy start yelling give me your money! or something similar prior to getting right up in the window? Either way, he did good!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A lot to be said for having your vehicle carry piece where you can get at it very quickly in a close encounter attack.

Just curious, if that had happened in Indiana, would the good guy have been in trouble for firing at the attacker after he started running away?
    Page back... that's what I asked! :):

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Being a righty, I had never thought of that. What do lefties do to counteract this? Just train right handed?

I see where you're coming from, but I would pose this point: You won't be acting as a marine in a self defense shooting here in the states. (And I'm assuming that since you're in IN, that you're out of the Corps?) You're defending yourself now, not your platoon. There really isn't any value in you searching the guy. You're not going to be taking him into custody. This isn't Iraq. He won't have a bomb on him, nor will he have intel that you need. Let the cops do all that. Minimize the risk to yourself.

You have a new AO and a new mission: Protect yourself and your family from criminals here in the Wild MidWest. Change your SOPs accordingly. :twocents:

And thanks for your service. :yesway::yesway:

You can always adapt the training to civilian world scenarios. Like this one I wouldn't search him but control the situation till the cops came by keeping my weapon trained on his head as I approached kick the weapon away and stand a short distance away still aimed at his head do a quick 5 and 25 to assess any other danger and wait. He moves or tries to go for a back up got a clean shot. Again the muscle memory got to break it down barney style so everyone sees what I see. Not a problem I enjoyed my time served learned a lot of new things, made a lot of new friends, and memories.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

Probably not. In any case, video is definitely the friend of anyone who finds themselves in such a situation. In Indiana, as in most states, the ever-present question of "would a reasonable person" would be paramount in any defense, assuming a DA decided to prosecute. In this case, supported by video, I think a reasonable person would conclude that the driver was still in danger of the attacker turning and firing at him. The threat still existed at all times the driver fired.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    He wasn't just retreating. He was turning right and left a lot and in the heat of the moment that appears to be trying to get shots off while getting behind the cover of the corner of the building. Even as an armchair quarterback, I'm going to keep shooting til he isn't moving in ANY way that represents a threat. Meaning, if he hasn't thrown down his gun and put his hands in the air yelling PLEASE!

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I love happy endings indeed! Any of the "I don't carry my pistol with a round in the chamber because it's too dangerous" folks want to chime in with their opinions and how they would have handled the situation?

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Anyone notice the accomplice was also armed and made a hasty retreat when confronted by armed victim? I would bet there are burned rubber tracks where he had parked the getaway vehicle. That is the only thing that should have been taken into consideration before walking out and being exposed. I counted five or six shots and a mag change or as stated a top off, may have been appropriate, but that is a training issue that may not have occurred or even been available in his circumstance. Take cover in front of the open car door and wait for 911 response. Otherwise well done!

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would of gone up to the guy and kicked his firearm away first, then do a quick 5 and 25 for any other potential attackers, then assume a position 3 feet from his head with my weapon pointed there telling him not to get up or try anything and that the police are on their way.

If he wasn't dead already.

Like you, I had a military background, and frankly I had the mindset you do when I came out. I did exactly that in my first force on force in the academy. I got yelled at afterward, and was faced with the question of "why?" There's another BG out there somewhere, probably beating feet but maybe not. Even if you hadn't seen him he MIGHT be out there, a lookout, a tactical reserve (so to speak), etc.

Stay behind cover, wait for backup, scan for other threats. If he moves, would you rather be closer so that you have less time to react or further away so that you have more time, as he has to move further to attack you or bring his gun to bear. The advantages of being behind cover of the vehicle while you call 911/get on the radio are obvious as well once you think about it.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I thought it was good that the victim initially tried a non-lethal swat at the assailant, presumably before he noticed the assailant had a gun. This could have been terrible if the victim shot the assailant immediately without verifying the assailant had a deadly weapon. If the victim shot the assailant and it turned out he did not have a deadly weapon, then the victim may be paying for that with a jail sentence.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I would guess he saw the BG approaching in his door review mirror so had a chance to get/pull gun sooner than he would have without seeing the BG.

He seemed to be a good 'point shooter' since he didn't have the chance line up his sights.

It looked like to me that he knew what he was doing when he got out of his truck/suv.

My thoughts exactly. I think he saw him coming and had a second or two to prepare. That second or two made the difference.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I thought it was good that the victim initially tried a non-lethal swat at the assailant, presumably before he noticed the assailant had a gun. This could have been terrible if the victim shot the assailant immediately without verifying the assailant had a deadly weapon. If the victim shot the assailant and it turned out he did not have a deadly weapon, then the victim may be paying for that with a jail sentence.

They don't have to have a weapon. You don't have to be on an equal playing field. You have no duty to hand to hand combat a car jacker, or to run.

If someone runs up your car car, starts to grab at things and beat you... get rid of em. Now they might give up or run at the sight of your weapon, but if not, you have no duty to lay down your weapon and fight the guy off. The law doesn't say you can only use deadly force when threatened with a deadly weapon. There have been plenty of good shoots where home invaders are killed the second they bust the door down, or when the homeowner hides with their kids, and the bad guys stumble upon them in the attic or closet.

In addition, don't forget how deadly blows to the head can be. When you are sitting in a car, your head is the most visible thing to them, and is right at the perfect level to receive a blow.

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    You can always adapt the training to civilian world scenarios. Like this one I wouldn't search him but control the situation till the cops came by keeping my weapon trained on his head as I approached kick the weapon away and stand a short distance away still aimed at his head do a quick 5 and 25 to assess any other danger and wait. He moves or tries to go for a back up got a clean shot. Again the muscle memory got to break it down barney style so everyone sees what I see. Not a problem I enjoyed my time served learned a lot of new things, made a lot of new friends, and memories.

if he moves while he is down and disarmed and you shoot while your in control of the situation that would be called an execution and you immediately would have lost a claim to self defense, once he is down, get away to a safe place nearby, and stay there until police arrive.

Top Bottom