Preventing gun suicides may require changes to background check laws.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    By misrepresenting gun violence as "an important public health problem..." this centrist government get`s their foot in the door to assault the Second Amendment from a new "public health" angle. They purposely don`t acknowledge that the Constitution is set up, such that, it prevents individual rights from being usurped by a majority, and an overbearing, tyrannical government.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Why wouldn't suicidal people just switch to death by suffocation, hanging, poison/overdose, falls (i.e. jumping), cutting/piercing, and drowning (all of which account for about 47% of suicides)?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why wouldn't suicidal people just switch to death by suffocation, hanging, poison/overdose, falls (i.e. jumping), cutting/piercing, and drowning (all of which account for about 47% of suicides)?
    Exactly. Japan regulates air guns the way NJ regulates firearms, but their suicide rate is three times that of the US.

"These issues are complex"...and their solutions are simplistic

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    People intent upon killing themselves will find a way to do so. People who are involved in unsuccessful suicide attempts generally are using those attempts as a cry for help. People who use firearms are generally in the latter group, and even without firearms will still find a way to carry out their intent. As others have said: just look at Japan.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    After reading this, I am so glad the election turned out the way it did, otherwise I could just see "common sense laws" mandating every dealer of firearms who by law is required to fill out a 4473 must also have a psychiatrist on site to check the buyer before the buyer be allowed to fill out the form, and then the Psych must also sign it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Help cutting down suicides...
    Maybe educate people in "Health & Safety" class if they still have those anymore.
    Tell people about signs and symptoms to look for.
    Maybe people to contact.
    etc.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Help cutting down suicides...
    Maybe educate people in "Health & Safety" class if they still have those anymore.
    Tell people about signs and symptoms to look for.
    Maybe people to contact.
    etc.

Now those are all viable alternatives in my mind.

When will these idiots learn, you can't legislate morality.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    No joke, ars. How many "1 car accidents" are actually suicides?

If I wanted to off myself, I'd go motorcycling without a helmet in twisties in the mountains somewhere.

IIRC, men off themselves with guns because they are actually TRYING to kill themselves.

Women are the ones that "take a few pills" BC they're looking for drama and attention.

If you know someone in bad shape, show them love. But if they're intent on offing themselves.... there probably ain't much you can do.

TheARfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Avon
    Take away guns, and people will just jump off a building or slit their wrists or any other number of things. You can't stop people from killing themselves if they are determined enough. Same can be said for criminals. Take away guns, and they will kill with a knife, or a car, Etc. Etc. Etc.

Top Bottom