Pres. Obama allows off-shore drilling? Plan revealed Wed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't think this is all that new. This is an issue discussed during the campaign: "My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said in an interview with the Palm Beach Post. "If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well-thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage -- I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done." Obama Signals Support for Wider Offshore Drilling - washingtonpost.com

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    WHen I heard this this morning, I thought the same thing. Honestly, this is the first thing that shows he has a speck of common sense. I wonder what his true motive is though. Shoot, I just got my Obama S***S shirt too.

Seriously, I think Bush dropped the ball on his opportunity. I think we should submit a long term plan to end our need for overseas oils and create an alternative fuel plan. Even if its 10 or 20 years.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think this is a ploy for the "on the fence" voters. He knows he lost a lot of support with Obamacare, now he is trying to get on someone else's "good side".

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a ploy, he voted against domestic drilling when he was in the Senate. He just wants us to ease off the Health care Issue and the amnesty bill for illegal aliens he will purpose in the near future. They will no longer be called illegal aliens; they will be classified as Undocumented Democrats. He’s just tossing out an already chewed bone thinking we’ll appreciate the meal……

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    A few things:

- The reports I saw wasn't that he would permit offshore drilling but would have a commission "study the effects" of offshore (and other) drilling.

- Even if the commission really does say "you can drill" the earliest it could even start is 2012. (Right in time for his reelection bid. Amazing coincidence that, innit.)

- The whole thing appears to be tied to "cap and trade" so even if drilling is allowed the results will be taxed to death.

- And even if drilling is permitted under terms that make it look possibly profitable one wonders what "strings" Mr. I-never-saw-an-industry-I-wouldn't-take-over Obama would put on permissions. Think about some of the kinds of strings that could be put on it.

Some caution is called for here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It's a ploy, he voted against domestic drilling when he was in the Senate. He just wants us to ease off the Health care Issue and the amnesty bill for illegal aliens he will purpose in the near future. . .

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner.

When this was announced yesterday on Drudge I was skeptical. It appears that I was skeptical for a very good reason. I was worried that Obama's move would be very limited, and it appears that my suspicion was correct.

Obama Administration’s Decision Keeps Vast Majority of America’s Offshore Energy Resources Off Limits

GOP Leader: “Keeping the Pacific Coast and Alaska, as well as the most promising resources off the Gulf of Mexico, under lock and key makes no sense at a time when gasoline prices are rising and Americans are asking ‘Where are the jobs?’”

Washington, Mar 31 -

House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) today criticized the Obama Administration for refusing to listen to the American people and keeping the vast majority of America’s offshore energy resources off limits at a time when Americans want an “all of the above” strategy for promoting American energy production and creating American jobs:

“The Obama Administration continues to defy the will of the American people who strongly supported the bipartisan decision of Congress in 2008 to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling not just off the East Coast and in the Gulf of Mexico, but off the Pacific Coast and Alaskan shores as well. Opening up areas off the Virginia coast to offshore production is a positive step, but keeping the Pacific Coast and Alaska, as well as the most promising resources off the Gulf of Mexico, under lock and key makes no sense at a time when gasoline prices are rising and Americans are asking ‘Where are the jobs?’

“It’s long past time for this Administration to stop delaying American energy production off all our shores and start listening to the American people who want an “all of the above” strategy to produce more American energy and create more jobs. Republicans are listening to the American people and have proposed a better solution – the American Energy Act – which will lower gas prices, increase American energy production, promote new clean and renewable sources of energy, and encourage greater efficiency and conservation.

“At the same time the White House makes today’s announcement, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is plotting a new massive job-killer that the American people can’t afford: a cascade of new EPA regulations that will punish every American who dares to flip on a light switch, drive a car, or buy an American product. Americans simply don’t want this backdoor national energy tax that will drive up energy and manufacturing costs and destroy jobs in our states and local communities.”

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Maybe he will combine an offshore drilling bill with cap & trade provisions....

The bill will be 8,000 pages long so nobody will know the difference.

Top Bottom