• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am fortunate that my "Kids" are all grown and fairly adept at surviving. They have trained enough to keep alive in any situation God willing. It will be my grand babies I worry over. Daughter has twins in the oven right now with a January 2013 due date. That will make 5 kids at 6 and under. They are the reason we prep.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Here is another point I haven't seen brought up, think of his scenario of what may happen, now think of it while you are trying to bring along and protect some minor children.
    This is something even a combat vet does not have to do.

This was the first thing I thought about while watching his video, mainly because I have a 7 year old. Life will be MUCH more difficult if you have to care for a child when SHTF.

Children are really not that hard to make operational plans around. Much easier thanks say planning something around the disabled. Care for child I don't think would be that bad either, they will adapt to the suck much faster thanks most adults will as well....

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Here's the learning curve I see for most of us: The vast majority of us have no military basic training. We are not conditioned to hardships, we are not conditioned to thinking fast on our feet under extreme stress while someone is trying to kill us, we do not know how to effectively use cover, we have not actually shot at someone or been shot at; we are not mentally prepared for action of this type.
    We might be good shots when we have time to focus on our target, but most of us are not physically or mentally prepared to engage another moving human enemy.
    We are civilians, not soldiers! The learning curve for most of us is very steep indeed!!

Those of you who are combat veterans--we need you to teach us your skills. If you can impart you skills to those around you then please do it. Don't delay.

I have access to two combat veterans who have taught me a few things but I am no where ready mentally or physically to be thrown into a combat situation. When you teach us, please be patient. We are willing to learn but suffer from age, disabilities, and inexperience. But please teach us. Most of us have really no idea where to even begin, so we just buy guns and ammo and go to the range, praying that, if the time comes when we have to use our weapons, we will be up against no one better prepared (or unprepared) than ourselves. We need teachers!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Here's the learning curve I see for most of us: The vast majority of us have no military basic training. We are not conditioned to hardships, we are not conditioned to thinking fast on our feet under extreme stress while someone is trying to kill us, we do not know how to effectively use cover, we have not actually shot at someone or been shot at; we are not mentally prepared for action of this type.
    We might be good shots when we have time to focus on our target, but most of us are not physically or mentally prepared to engage another moving human enemy.
    We are civilians, not soldiers! The learning curve for most of us is very steep indeed!!

Those of you who are combat veterans--we need you to teach us your skills. If you can impart you skills to those around you then please do it. Don't delay.

I have access to two combat veterans who have taught me a few things but I am no where ready mentally or physically to be thrown into a combat situation. When you teach us, please be patient. We are willing to learn but suffer from age, disabilities, and inexperience. But please teach us. Most of us have really no idea where to even begin, so we just buy guns and ammo and go to the range, praying that, if the time comes when we have to use our weapons, we will be up against no one better prepared (or unprepared) than ourselves. We need teachers!

Ever so much this ^^
    Reading and watching videos ain't gonna do it. We need to get out and roll around in the dirt. And do it in a way that will help us stay alive.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville

+1
    This is so true. I am in this group too since I have no military experience. However, it is good that people are trying to take the time to be prepared when SHTF.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There would be different stages to the SHTF, depending how long it continues.
    Guns are only one part of survival until everyone runs out of ammo. Then grab your bow.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Find a Copy of FM 7-8 it IS one of the books that Tactics is taught from. It is the Bible of the US Infantry, Old Testament...

I will look for that.
    What is the link to the Run and Gun thread you mentioned? I couldn't find it in the search.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    This was the first thing I thought about while watching his video, mainly because I have a 7 year old. Life will be MUCH more difficult if you have to care for a child when SHTF.

I agree! I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old. It is a little overwhelming to think about prepping for all of us. If something were to happen now I would need to be prepared to stay home or make it to a family member's house.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I agree with what everyone is saying. People cannot forget that if a situation continues that we need to prepared to survive and weapons will play a role in hunting.
    I feel that the best chance of survival in a SHTF situation is to have a group of people that you can depend on. After the initial fighting is over you will need to able to continue to provide and protect your family.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I've been prepping for some time now, but this video has made me rethink things. I think I've been overly focused on handgun skill at the cost of skill with long arms. My son's and I have fired an average of 5k to 10k rounds of pistol ammunition a year, yet have probably fired less than 700 rounds of .223 or 7.62x39 last year. I've been thinking more along the lines of a massive increase in crime and less about a complete breakdown of law and order, but if you look at the times we live in, we may very well see what the author of the video is predicting. I need to stop collecting for fun and start focusing on building skill with what I have. I think it's time to sell some guns and buy some training.

First get a .22 repeater and get to an Appleseed.(No sense wasting centerfire
    till you get the basics) Basics are the most important thing. Build on that.
    Shotguns are great but what do you do against a urban sniper at 100 yds.
    An AR15 may not seem like much but they're hitting at 600 at Camp Perry.
    As far as whether any particular training is better than some other
    type of training...I can't comment on that.
    There is one thing I'm sure of. When the time comes to use your gun the only
    question should be whether to shoot, not how to shoot.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    *Warning: run-on sentences ahead. *

The guy in the video gave me the impression he was trying to convey that everyone coming after me is going to be better trained, and unless I have had extensive training/practice with my firearms, that I should just sell them now and go on a nice vacation.

Odds are in your favor that it will be looters looking for easy goods, and a few bullets whizzing by their heads will send them off to easier targets. :twocents:

I agree with the rest of what he says.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ookaaay, sooo . . .

1. Lots of people of all stripes will die.
    2. Take it seriously.
    3. Don't underestimate your enemy.
    4. Train.

What else?

Top Bottom