• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been prepping for some time now, but this video has made me rethink things. I think I've been overly focused on handgun skill at the cost of skill with long arms. My son's and I have fired an average of 5k to 10k rounds of pistol ammunition a year, yet have probably fired less than 700 rounds of .223 or 7.62x39 last year. I've been thinking more along the lines of a massive increase in crime and less about a complete breakdown of law and order, but if you look at the times we live in, we may very well see what the author of the video is predicting. I need to stop collecting for fun and start focusing on building skill with what I have. I think it's time to sell some guns and buy some training.

Things to consider when you choose your training. Where will you be when the lights go out. City, urban, straight up country as in no one within half a mile.
    We will most likely be in the city. A 200 yd shot is most likely not going to present itself. Most of the defensive action we may be forced into will be 25/50 yds tops. This is well in the range of a good pistol and shotgun operator. An M-4 covers the rest for us. We train heavy with pistols and shotguns for this reason.
    Urban will present a different set of actions as will country.
    Train for the area you will most likely be in. JMHO

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Things to consider when you choose your training. Where will you be when the lights go out. City, urban, straight up country as in no one within half a mile.
    We will most likely be in the city. A 200 yd shot is most likely not going to present itself. Most of the defensive action we may be forced into will be 25/50 yds tops. This is well in the range of a good pistol and shotgun operator. An M-4 covers the rest for us. We train heavy with pistols and shotguns for this reason.

Training with several thousand rounds of pistol fire a year is great training. Chruchmouse makes great points! In a short time frame WROL pistols will be much more important than long guns, imho! If you are walking around/down the road with an AR over your shoulder it is MUCH easier to see than walking around with a pistol at your side.

I've read people making fun of people bugging out, calling them turtles or gold mine caches loaded down, moving slow easy to be picked off from a long distance. But if someone is going to pick you off from a long distance I'm thinking it's pretty likely that long gun or pistol won't make much of a difference...

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012

Will you be able to stay at your current location,due to violence, lack of food, lack of water, someone in your family needing medical attention, etc. etc.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    WRONG!

WRONG!

WRONG!

Do NOT focus on Training for only One Environment, that will allow you to develop a LOT of bad habits.

If you are focusing solely on MOUT (Urban Environs) what will you do when you venture outside of that AO?!

If you live in the Country and do not learn MOUT and choose to only learn how to shoot and fight at 800 meter ranges, what happens when you are forced into a 50 meter fight?!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    One toolkit w/ many tools = many options for many situations.

Learn varied and with luck you will get to see many situations instead of ending in the first.

Oh, and get with a group who also has toolkits.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Just curious why the acog? Ive shot with military trained people that dont know how to use iron sights on an AR15?!?! Whats the deal it doesnt make sense BTW its a lot easier for me to take this guy seriously than other youtbe commandos. He cuts right to the point; I like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Will you be able to stay at your current location,due to violence, lack of food, lack of water, someone in your family needing medical attention, etc. etc.

Jeremy does make a good point or points. We have 2 BOL's but may not get to them for any of several reasons. Wife has medical issues, I am no spring chicken and it may be near impossible to get out of dodge at least for a while. We have routes planned but plans are not rock solid so we have set ourselves to sit tight until we know whats up. Our place is the meet up point as well. We will not go anywhere without every one if possible.
    Violence in the city will be a given just look at Katrina. We have contingency for this. Food, water and most perishables/consumables are considered as well.
    This is why I made that post. I know most likely if the lights go out we will be here for a while.

We do get out into the woods as often as us city folks can manage. Wish there was more time.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just curious why the acog? Ive shot with military trained people that dont know how to use iron sights on an AR15?!?! Whats the deal it doesnt make sense BTW its a lot easier for me to take this guy seriously than other youtbe commandos. He cuts right to the point; I like that.

No batteries in the ACOG, making you less dependent on a something...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

I just want to point this out as I keep hearing things like this. Just because someone was in the military doesn't mean they were a trigger puller. They could have been a cook, admin, computer tech's, payroll, fuel supply, ect ect ect. they rarely train to shoot other than in convoy tactics, as that isn't their job. so they don't know anything about sights in general. if they were Infantry and tell you this then please point and laugh. In the Infantry all you use in basic and ait is irons and thats what you learn the fundamentals on

as mentioned the guy said it right and hopefully people listen.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

I have no firearms requiring batteries for sight acquisition.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    In an assault situation, one must gain and maintain fire superiority. Violence of action and shock are your best friends. If and when it comes down to it, those coming for you will most likely be expecting token resistance and then surrender. Fast lethal action will pull the plug on most any further energy required to carry the assault. The attackers will know you are a hardened target and most likely bypass for a softer one. At least they will believe they need a larger more capable force to garantee success. Conversely, if they have scoped you out and identified your patterns and weaknesses, it really won't matter anyway. Trigger time and back-up weapons are a must. Creating a group now large enough to keep and maintain security is a must. The family unit won't cut it. Not in a full scale zombie radier scenario.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    In an assault situation, one must gain and maintain fire superiority. Violence of action and shock are your best friends. If and when it comes down to it, those coming for you will most likely be expecting token resistance and then surrender. Fast lethal action will pull the plug on most any further energy required to carry the assault. The attackers will know you are a hardened target and most likely bypass for a softer one. At least they will believe they need a larger more capable force to garantee success. Conversely, if they have scoped you out and identified your patterns and weaknesses, it really won't matter anyway. Trigger time and back-up weapons are a must. Creating a group now large enough to keep and maintain security is a must. The family unit won't cut it. Not in a full scale zombie radier scenario.

A good strategy, but not the only one.

There are those so prepared, that their home is a virtual "Go away". There are also those that will allow invaders to take refuge under the guise of victory.......until the guerrilla action commences.

Sun Tzu had many such strategies.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Very wise words! I feel the same.....A pistol in my book is a back up weapon unless it is all that I have at that moment. Home defense....we use shotguns as well as pistols but the shotguns are the primary. Rifles rock for so many reasons but I completely agree with a pistol being a backup. Practice, practice and practice some more!

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Here is another point I haven't seen brought up, think of his scenario of what may happen, now think of it while you are trying to bring along and protect some minor children.
    This is something even a combat vet does not have to do.

This was the first thing I thought about while watching his video, mainly because I have a 7 year old. Life will be MUCH more difficult if you have to care for a child when SHTF.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This was the first thing I thought about while watching his video, mainly because I have a 7 year old. Life will be MUCH more difficult if you have to care for a child when SHTF.

Or old people. Or anyone with mobility problems.

If it happens, it's going to suck all around.

Top Bottom