• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The newest rig in my safe, really cant wait for a scope and stock upgrade. Gonna have some fun with it until then though :):

Howa 24" Heavy Barrel 6.5CM

Howa_6_5_CM.jpg

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    The newest rig in my safe, really cant wait for a scope and stock upgrade. Gonna have some fun with it until then though :):

Howa 24" Heavy Barrel 6.5CM

Howa%206.5CM_zpsf6h45nht.jpg
    You will love the 6.5 creedmoor, other than finding brass. I don't think I will have any desire to go back to a .308 other than maybe as a dear gun. The 142 SMK's in mine shoot lights out. Don't be afraid to venture over hornadys max load but proceed with caution. Most find their first node in the 41.5 gr range but should find another node around 42.5.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I was only able to put one box through it yesterday as I was just breaking in the barrel, but results were very nice. I really bought this as a precision rig to just shoot factory match ammo out of, Ive seen some crazy results from the factory Hornady 140gr Amax. I load for my 243 match gun and that's about all I have time for with all the other stuff I have going on with the YouTube channel and hosting shoots here. It would just be nice to pick up a box of ammo and to go shoot and not have to worry about spending the time working up a load then the time loading all of them up. Although who knows once I get a bag of brass shot up I may get the itch to reload ;).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

AR-15 is a White Oak Armament 18" SPR upper in 223 wylde where I swapped the free float tube out for a rail. Wanted some form of backup sights and tried out the XS 45 degree sights. If the scope was just a fuzz higher they're probably be great, but as it stands, the backup sights are just too low to be good for much of anything. My Kestral 5.56 lives on this rifle and that's why there's also the IR laser on the top rail. It's a cheapo/better than nothing IR for use with night vision. Since the rifle has the can it also gets the IR. Scope is a Nikon M223 3-12 with BDC. I may end up swapping out the Nikon for another Vortex PST like the 2.5-10X FFP MOA. Lower is a PSA with Geielle SSA trigger, Magpul Miad grip, and Magpul ACS stock. Otherwise just a standard run of the mill ar-15, :):

Bolt gun is a 700 SPS AAC-SD in 308. Just put it in the magpul stock because I wanted a synthetic stock with pillar bedding, and the detachable mag option was just icing on the cake. I can't say enough about how ridiculously simple the magwell install was and how well it works. So far, two 5rd mags work just fine and two 10rd mags work just fine. I'm on the fence about swapping the trigger out on the rifle. The "adjustable" part of the Remington trigger was a joke. I cranked it all the way one way and couldn't feel a difference and cranked it to the other end to the point the adjustable screw fell out and barely noticed any difference. If I had to guess I'd say it's just over 4#'s on the trigger weight so there's probably some accuracy to be gained there. Scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x FFP MOA and I love it. Just popped it off my old go to precision rifle to put on this Remington 700 because I got tired of hand loading match ammo for a 30-06.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

AR-15 is a White Oak Armament 18" SPR upper in 223 wylde where I swapped the free float tube out for a rail. Wanted some form of backup sights and tried out the XS 45 degree sights. If the scope was just a fuzz higher they're probably be great, but as it stands, the backup sights are just too low to be good for much of anything. My Kestral 5.56 lives on this rifle and that's why there's also the IR laser on the top rail. It's a cheapo/better than nothing IR for use with night vision. Since the rifle has the can it also gets the IR. Scope is a Nikon M223 3-12 with BDC. I may end up swapping out the Nikon for another Vortex PST like the 2.5-10X FFP MOA. Lower is a PSA with Geielle SSA trigger, Magpul Miad grip, and Magpul ACS stock. Otherwise just a standard run of the mill ar-15, :):

Bolt gun is a 700 SPS AAC-SD in 308. Just put it in the magpul stock because I wanted a synthetic stock with pillar bedding, and the detachable mag option was just icing on the cake. I can't say enough about how ridiculously simple the magwell install was and how well it works. So far, two 5rd mags work just fine and two 10rd mags work just fine. I'm on the fence about swapping the trigger out on the rifle. The "adjustable" part of the Remington trigger was a joke. I cranked it all the way one way and couldn't feel a difference and cranked it to the other end to the point the adjustable screw fell out and barely noticed any difference. If I had to guess I'd say it's just over 4#'s on the trigger weight so there's probably some accuracy to be gained there. Scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x FFP MOA and I love it. Just popped it off my old go to precision rifle to put on this Remington 700 because I got tired of hand loading match ammo for a 30-06.

Ive never been much of a Remington fan, but that rifle looks sweet! That Magpul stock and mag system is an awesome upgrade from what Ive seen.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Finally got some free time to sight in my REECE build.:)

Specs:
    -Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 in BobRo mount
    -Noveske Afghan 14.5
    -Noveske BCG
    -BatteComp 1.5 pinned/welded
    -Geissele Gas Block
    -Geissele MK4 MLOK
    -Geissele G2S
    -Noveske Gen1 lower & Gen1 upper
    -VLTOR A5 RE w/VLTOR ModStock
    -Harris bipod in GG&G adaptor

attachment.php

attachment.php

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ive never been much of a Remington fan, but that rifle looks sweet! That Magpul stock and mag system is an awesome upgrade from what Ive seen.

I'm not either to be completely honest. I'm a savage guy, but I have to recognize that Remington makes a quality product. The stock is great so far. The barrel is very free floated, and it's nice to have an easy way to reload, and swap out mags and all that good stuff. I've still got a lot more rounds to put through it, but it's got some potential. Full disclosure, if Magpul built this stock system for a savage, I'd sell the Remington in a heartbeat and make the switch.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm not either to be completely honest. I'm a savage guy, but I have to recognize that Remington makes a quality product. The stock is great so far. The barrel is very free floated, and it's nice to have an easy way to reload, and swap out mags and all that good stuff. I've still got a lot more rounds to put through it, but it's got some potential. Full disclosure, if Magpul built this stock system for a savage, I'd sell the Remington in a heartbeat and make the switch.

I agree hands down, for the life of me I have no idea why they didn't go ahead with a stock for the Model 10 series :dunno:. I hear ya though I've shot a buddies Remmy last summer and was pleasantly surprised with its performance, although Id not get rid of my Savage's it was a quality piece.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been wanting another R700. This is a Remington 700 26 inch Varmint barrelled 300 Win Mag with a Web Bell and Carlson M40 tactical stock, I've added a Timney 510 trigger, Harris bipod and Accu-Shot Mono pod, Leupold AR6 scope, base and rings.

I am fire forming some brass so I can start working on some hand loads.

Justin Shooting prone:

My last 2 shots at 100 yards after dialing the scope in a bit:

I've got about a dozen rounds threw it so far and I am really liking it so far!

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree hands down, for the life of me I have no idea why they didn't go ahead with a stock for the Model 10 series :dunno:. I hear ya though I've shot a buddies Remmy last summer and was pleasantly surprised with its performance, although Id not get rid of my Savage's it was a quality piece.

Personally, it's just my opinion but I think Magpul is trying really hard to play to the "mil-spec" or "military uses it, so it must be the best" crowds. If the military was shooting savage rifles, I don't have a doubt that magpul would be producing their stock system for the Savage rifles. If I were magpul I'd focus on the savage brand for sure especially since most people buying those rifles consider the stocks to be throw aways or have the cost of a replacement stock built into the purchase price of the rifle from the start. I've never seen an aftermarket savage stock that really impressed me for the money. The B&C options are nice and I've bought & used them, but even those aren't that great.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If Savage would stop screwing around with their rifle configurations, it'd be a lot easier for the aftermarket to catch up.

Consider that Savage currently makes two versions of the short action centerfeed: top bolt release and bottom bolt release.

Doing a stock for top bolt release is easy enough, but incorporating the bottom bolt release would require a bit of work with the triggerguard...and stocks for one don't necessarily interchange with the other.

I'd also say that 700-pattern rifles, which haven't changed significantly in design for decades, outsell the Savage 10-pattern rifle and have done so for many years.

Don't take this as a bash on Savage - it isn't - but it is the reality of the situation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If Savage would stop screwing around with their rifle configurations, it'd be a lot easier for the aftermarket to catch up.

Consider that Savage currently makes two versions of the short action centerfeed: top bolt release and bottom bolt release.

Doing a stock for top bolt release is easy enough, but incorporating the bottom bolt release would require a bit of work with the triggerguard...and stocks for one don't necessarily interchange with the other.

I'd also say that 700-pattern rifles, which haven't changed significantly in design for decades, outsell the Savage 10-pattern rifle and have done so for many years.

Don't take this as a bash on Savage - it isn't - but it is the reality of the situation.

I agree. Savage has been redesigning their rifles and they need to settle in on something to be finalized. Once they do, hopefully that'll open up some options for aftermarket stocks. It's a double edged sword though. Their accu-trigger turned the industry around entirely, but their stock changes have been a real hassle.

Top Bottom