• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I'm still waiting on my LTCH, but I've got all my gear and have been breaking in my holster and such while in my home/on my property. However, the wife had no clue. She's not a fan of guns, but since purchasing my pistol she's slowly warmed up to it and I hope to have her at the range sometime this summer to try it out.

All week I've been wearing the kholster and my pistol with jeans and a tshirt. Thursday my new 5.11 operator belt shows up. I had ordered it without the wife's permission, so of course she questioned it as I was opening the package. I explained to her that I needed a stiffer belt because my holster plus loaded pistol caused my pants to sag, and lifted my shirt to show her. I guess I've got the concealment part down, because she was extremely shocked to see my pistol on my hip lol.

I'm pretty comfortable now with carrying this in public. I notice a little printing when I walk past a mirror, but I also know what I'm looking for. I'd say that if my wife doesn't notice it, the general public probably wouldn't, either.

Do you guys have any similar experiences to share?

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I'm still waiting on my LTCH, but I've got all my gear and have been breaking in my holster and such while in my home/on my property. However, the wife had no clue. She's not a fan of guns, but since purchasing my pistol she's slowly warmed up to it and I hope to have her at the range sometime this summer to try it out.

All week I've been wearing the kholster and my pistol with jeans and a tshirt. Thursday my new 5.11 operator belt shows up. I had ordered it without the wife's permission, so of course she questioned it as I was opening the package. I explained to her that I needed a stiffer belt because my holster plus loaded pistol caused my pants to sag, and lifted my shirt to show her. I guess I've got the concealment part down, because she was extremely shocked to see my pistol on my hip lol.

I'm pretty comfortable now with carrying this in public. I notice a little printing when I walk past a mirror, but I also know what I'm looking for. I'd say that if my wife doesn't notice it, the general public probably wouldn't, either.

Do you guys have any similar experiences to share?

I've concealed carried 99% of the time for about the last 6 months & not one person has noticed - other than the wife, who watches me get dressed. We go to dinner with another couple every Thurday night & they don't have a clue. Unless it's just sticking out like a 3rd eye, most of the folks won't notice. A few might, but they're like me - they're checking out the people around them & know what to look for & where to look. I'd recommend practicing your drawing as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No one will notice even if you print (except MAYBE other gun people). Even if you OC, most people either won't notice or they'll think you're a LEO.

If anyone does happen to notice a CC bulge and says something to me, my favorite response is "It's my colostomy bag. Would you like to see it?" It's so rare that I've only needed to use the line once.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    For the first several months that I carried even my wife would have no idea I was carrying. I would even do things like bend over crazy sideways getting the kids shoes on and she still never noticed. She sometimes notices now, but that's after almost a year. In my judgment, nobody will notice even a fair amount of printing...

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    No one will notice even if you print (except MAYBE other gun people). Even if you OC, most people either won't notice or they'll think you're a LEO.

If anyone does happen to notice a CC bulge and says something to me, my favorite response is "It's my colostomy bag. Would you like to see it?" It's so rare that I've only needed to use the line once.

That's a great line. I'll have to remember it.:yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

That's an appropriate reference. You use a PDW and a colostomy bag to do the same task: Take care of the :poop:

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    No one will notice even if you print (except MAYBE other gun people). Ev

To form an opinion of what a particular shape is, one must have a working understanding of that shape in order to be able to articulate what they think it is....

example: put a firearm on a table and cover it with a pillow case....then find someone who has been living under a rock for the last half century and ask them to tell you what is under the pillowcase. If they have no working knowledge of a firearm, shapes of firearms, etc., they will have no stored recollections in their brain, therefore they will be unable to identify the shape...and in many cases rather than saying they don't know, they will actually make up something that they believe (consciously or otherwise) is creating the shape.

Sheeple are just like this....most have such a disdain for firearms that they do not spend much time developing their image banks and therefore cannot understand what they are looking at when it is presented to them....thus, despite printing, your firearm will "remain concealed".

On the other hand, if it were to happen around me I might have to approach and ask them if they would like a new holster....one that might be more easily concealed. :D

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm 100% with you on practicing at home. It lets you iron out some of the kinks, such as what to do with it while you are on the commode, without having to worry about the consequences of having your pistol come bouncing out of your stall.

I still carry around the house for a bit with each new gun before going in public just to make sure there aren't any kinks.

As to people paying attention, no one other than another CCW'r or a criminal who spends time around armed people is going to notice no matter how much you are printing. IME, the subconscious urge to check and make sure your gun is covered draws way more attention to the gun than the print itself. Lets face it, polite society discourages looking at other people's beltlines.

All the best,

Joe

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I carry the Glock 19 around the house in a Fobus paddle holster. I talked to both neighbors this weekend who came over to shoot the :poop: and they didn't even notice it. I was wearing a tucked in t-shirt and wasn't trying to conceal at all.

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    agree 100% i still carry at home, no one ever knows when satan might show up.

i've been carrying in the public for only 13 months, but i'm so used to it now, it feels natural.. infact when i don't have it i feel naked.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    my CFO has gone from why are you doing that to i'll get your pistol for you so we can go. she can't see that i allready have it on. ditto most people out there wouldn't know your packing untill you had to use it to defend them and yours.:twocents:

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    As a new license holder I've been carrying everywhere. From around the house (I always did that) to Lowes, the bank, grocery, Gander, a bar with the wife, to dinner, etc.
    Whether I CC or OC depends on the weather and my attire at the time.
    I dress to my comfort, not to specifically hide the weapon.
    The only time anyone has said anything was in the bar when I took my jacket off to play a game of pool.
    A patron asked we WTH I was doing, and I said waiting on a drink.
    He asked if I was a cop, I said no, and he said "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!
    I politely said "Yes I can, unless the owner asks me to remove it or leave", at which time the owner interjects "Yes he can, and if you have a problem with it, you can leave".

Strangely, the owner asked me later if I might be interested in a weekend part time job once he starts getting bands in, and the crowd picks up.

BTW, for those with the question, I was waiting on a glass of water as my drink. I'll drink beer at home with it on, but not in public.

I have become more aware it seems too. I tend to notice where people are in reference to me, and notice where and how they look at me.

Sort of the "woman's chest" syndrome. I've had folks ask me how I'm doing today while the whole time obviously staring at the gun.
    Comical in a way. I should start answering "We're doing fine, thank you".

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Sounds like We walk in the same shoes my freind. I spent the money on the gun and holster and all of that first so it ended up being some time before I went down. I should be getting close now.........
    Only difference is my girlfreind watches for it so that she can call me a dork and ask who in the world I think might show up and leave me needing my pistol... I simply respond, I'm just getting the feel for it but you never know when they might land...

I don't think she would notice either but I am breaking in a shoulder rig and she will start in about me wearing button up shirts and zip up hoodies in the house, which is not really my average attire.
    She tells me that she dosn't have to play with hers, I tell her I wouldn't either if mine was a fingerprint magnet. "sig in my avatar"

southin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Southern IN.
    Sounds like We walk in the same shoes my freind. I spent the money on the gun and holster and all of that first so it ended up being some time before I went down. I should be getting close now.........
    Only difference is my girlfreind watches for it so that she can call me a dork and ask who in the world I think might show up and leave me needing my pistol... I simply respond, I'm just getting the feel for it but you never know when they might land...

I don't think she would notice either but I am breaking in a shoulder rig and she will start in about me wearing button up shirts and zip up hoodies in the house, which is not really my average attire.
    She tells me that she dosn't have to play with hers, I tell her I wouldn't either if mine was a fingerprint magnet. "sig in my avatar"

My wife did the same to me for some time. She would give me the "Ooo, watcha' gonna do tough guy, shoot that mean 'ole squirrel?" bit even though she has a .45 next to her side of the bed, that stands ready when I'm gone.
    She makes fun of the "Baby" (my 9mm) at times even now, but she's seriously thinking about applying for her LTCH as well.

As far as who might show up making you need it, could be anybody these days. I always answer the door with it, even if the caller is the kid's friends. It's concealed in that case since I always peek first, but it's there.

Kinda funny story about one of my friends. His car broke down one night not far from here, so he walked to my house. It was about 10 pm when he knocked on the door. At that hour, even though I have the pistol on me, I take a HD shotgun along as well. I flipped on the outside light to peek and the bulb blew. I turned on the gun mounted light, chambered a round, and opened the door. No body there.

LOL, he had run around the corner 'cause he knew what was coming, and was hollerin' saying it was him. I told him to "call next time dumbbutt, I'll come and get you". LOL

Maybe a bit of a foil hat, but then again, maybe not. You just never really know anymore, and that's sad IMO.:dunno::dunno:

I'm nervous to let the kid's go down the street to play anymore.

Top Bottom