• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    But what about my time the LEO just WASTED because he was trying to get me to mess up?

I get what you are saying about slumbing in the seat....but to try to make someone nervous enough to screw up behind the wheel is just wrong. I get you are in a bad area or what not.

""sitting up straight, hands 10 & 2, radio turned down, driving 5-10 under the speedlimit, and most of the time looking more in their rearview mirror rather than the road infront of them""

It's called being NERVOUS. Granted some are guilty of something, but you can't steryotype because of these. It's not right. If I am being tailed by an LEO, you are da sure right I'm going to sit straight(er) and turn my radio down and look in the mirror. I'm trying to stay FOCUSEDand not make a mistake (that I guess you want me to make).

I'm not bashing anyone, I just think it's wrong...on all counts.

I agree it is stereotyping but it's also their job... I worked 5 years as a Military Police Officer (1yr Garrison / 4 yrs Field MP) and another 4.5 years working Loss Prevention. You have to do a little bit of stereotyping in order to pick out the bad seeds. That plays a HUGE part in the Loss Prevention field. I'm going to watch you because you are female and carry a purse before I watch a male. (and vise versa if a male is walking in with a bag or baggy clothes) The reasoning is because you have something with you to conceal merchandise in. But, I'm not going to go out and stop you just because you are a female with a purse, but it's a completely different story when it comes to you putting merchandise in your purse (breaking the law). A LEO may follow you all day long if he wishes (highly doubt he will do that unless he is a stalker) but if a law is broken it's his right to pull you over and correct the situation.

What I'm not saying is, just because you are looking in the mirror and acting nervous that you will be pulled over. PC still applies. It wasn't that we followed someone for 15 miles down the road... Once we noticed they knew we were behind them, they constantly looked in the mirror, drove slower than normal, and a minor offense was made all within aprx. 1 mile or 2 and then a stop was initiated.

(RachelMarie- nowhere am I applying you are a thief in the above paragraph...hahaha)

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    All right, I've stayed out of this one...until now.

I have never gotten behind someone to "make them nervous" in order to stop them. There is no reason to. Remember that the legal standard for a traffic stop is resonable suspicion, not concrete evidence a violation has occured. In all my time on the road, I can think of only a few cars that I wanted to stop but couldn't find a reason to and guess what, those guys did not get stopped.

Think about how you, I, and ever other car you see driving out there. Really, how difficult is it to find a violation? 5mph over, lights out, weaving in the lane...I'm not talking about writing tickets, I'm talking about the reasonable suspicion needed to affect a stop.

Miltarypol21 does not speak for me or my colleages. I don't believe him to be LEO. We all know people get nervous when they see cops, especially in their rearview mirror. Just because someone acts nervous is not a reason to stop them.

Also remember that my definition of acting nervous and yours may be a bit different. In my view, the car that imediately pulls off or tries to ditch me is acting nervous...not somebody who looks at me in their mirror. :rolleyes:

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm sorry Milpol, but Loss Prevention has absolutely no resemblance to criminal law enforcement. Please be proud of what you do, but also stay in your lane.

I drive a car, but I should not be giving NASCAR advice. They simply do not correlate.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm sorry Milpol, but Loss Prevention has absolutely no resemblance to criminal law enforcement. Please be proud of what you do, but also stay in your lane.

I drive a car, but I should not be giving NASCAR advice. They simply do not correlate.

So you looked over the fact that I worked as a Military Police Officer for 5 years (plus over a year patrolling an active military base, doing the same exact thing you are doing locally) I don't agree that Loss Prevention has no resemblance to law enforcement (yes we didn't have police powers) but we still made apprehensions and still testified, and the suspects were still sentenced. Nobody here is giving anyone any advice, I'm giving my :twocents:.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you have nothing to hide there should be nothing to worry about.):twocents:

Not to pile on here but.......................................
    I may not have anything to hide but I still have rights. From me you will get a "am I free to go?" and "No, I have nothing to hide but you still can't search my car." Just my .02

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A LEO may follow you all day long if he wishes (highly doubt he will do that unless he is a stalker) but if a law is broken it's his right to pull you over and correct the situation. )

No a LEO MAY NOT follow you all day long, that's called harassment.

About 6 years ago while we was visiting my wife's grandmother and grandfather in Muncie (both in thier late 70's) and we were all driving around looking on how Muncie had changed, while we was in the middle of our cruising around I noticed we had a Muncie PD car following us, (Wife's SUV with the old 55B plates for Morgan County) after about 5 minutes of him mirroring our every turn I got tired of it and pulled into a VP.

He pulled up and parked just past the store.

I went in bought 2 doughnuts and walked them over to him to let him know that if he was trying to bait me into screwing up so he could write me a ticket that at least he should have something to eat on the drive downtown so I could report him for his harassment because I had done nothing wrong. :D

He piped off that we looked suspicious and had out of town plates and looked like we was driving around casing places.

I countered back that he was driving around also, should I call someone to follow him? I got the WTF:xmad: look and calmly told him to have a nice afternoon and if he had a problem with it, on where he could find me later.

Got back in our SUV and drove away while I watched him get out and toss the doughnuts. Man that ticked me off, he could have at least gave them back to me if he was not going to eat them.:laugh:

Top Bottom