• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I absolutely would thank a cop if the scenario went like this.

officer - I pulled you over because I saw you cross over the line. This is a big dui weekend due to the race. I need you to take a breathalizer.

me - No problem sir.

officer - you passed and be on your way. Just make sure you stay in your lane

me - Thank you sir for helping to keep the drunks off the road.

The above scenario will weed out a drunk just as well as the scenario described in the OP. What purpose does it serve to treat a citizen like the scum of the earth when there is no proof that the guy had been drinking?

I have been stopped a couple of times for doing something "questionable." Once I drove by a DUI stop at about 35 in a 50 and had a county on my tail in 3 seconds. He asked why I drove by so slow and I told him so I didn't hit anyone. He said thanks and asked if I had been drinking. I said no. He said have a good night. I told him to be safe.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have been stopped a couple of times for doing something "questionable." Once I drove by a DUI stop at about 35 in a 50 and had a county on my tail in 3 seconds. He asked why I drove by so slow and I told him so I didn't hit anyone. He said thanks and asked if I had been drinking. I said no. He said have a good night. I told him to be safe.

Hahaha... so you got pulled over for doing the right thing! When LEO is on the side of the road you are suppose to move over and/or slow down which you did. Maybe he thought you were doing the right thing and were trying to hide the fact you were drunk although you weren't.

That reminds me... I've been riding along with one of the local LEO's a couple times and he always played the 3 strikes game. We'd come up behind a vehicle that failed to signal, or is now doing 5 under the speed limit just because we were behind them. We'd watch as they looked in the rear view mirror to see we were behind them and on the third look they got pulled over. Almost every single time the person had drugs on them or a warrant.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you are driving on 65 in Indy, beware. I saw at least 7 bikes and cars from Lafayette road area to downtown.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hahaha... so you got pulled over for doing the right thing! When LEO is on the side of the road you are suppose to move over and/or slow down which you did. Maybe he thought you were doing the right thing and were trying to hide the fact you were drunk although you weren't.

That reminds me... I've been riding along with one of the local LEO's a couple times and he always played the 3 strikes game. We'd come up behind a vehicle that failed to signal, or is now doing 5 under the speed limit just because we were behind them. We'd watch as they looked in the rear view mirror to see we were behind them and on the third look they got pulled over. Almost every single time the person had drugs on them or a warrant.
    So what was the PC in 5mph under that allows him to pull someone over? Is that a violation? Is looking in the mirror a violation? Failure to signal is, but the others are not.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    No, the only violation from above is failure to signal... but seeing people slow down to 5 or even 10 under the posted speed limit along with constantly looking in the rear view mirror at the person behind them (us) is a very good indication they are scared of being pulled over (ie... hiding something, warrant, whatever) PC is still required to make a traffic stop which could be anything. If you stay behind the person long enough they are going to mess up and forget to signal, or not come to a complete stop at a stop sign or something. The (3) strike thing always seemed to play in our favor... just makes you want to follow the person and wait for them to make the slightest mistake.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    No, the only violation from above is failure to signal... but seeing people slow down to 5 or even 10 under the posted speed limit along with constantly looking in the rear view mirror at the person behind them (us) is a very good indication they are scared of being pulled over (ie... hiding something, warrant, whatever) PC is still required to make a traffic stop which could be anything. If you stay behind the person long enough they are going to mess up and forget to signal, or not come to a complete stop at a stop sign or something. The (3) strike thing always seemed to play in our favor... just makes you want to follow the person and wait for them to make the slightest mistake.

My personal oppinion?

Any time an LEO is behind me I get nervous. Not because I am guilty of anything, but because I don't want to be pulled over. I tend to slow down, even though I am doing the speed limit because I'm hoping he will pass me. I'm one of the folks that look in the mirror, more than 3 times probably. It's just a nerve racking feeling. It's horrible (IMO) to know that those are reasons I will get pulled over.
    To me...what it sounds like you are saying is that you TRY to make them nervous, or mess up so you have a reason to pull them over. To me....that's crap! :twocents:

RM

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

I regularly drive 63 in a 70. However, I use turn signals like they are natural built-in reactions. And likewise however, I had a liar cop pull me over, write me, and win in court saying I did not use my turn signal. I won in the end, however, not in court.

I look in the rearview while I drive limit or below because like the neon last night, it appears the arsehats are trying to penetrate my trunk with their front bumper. I am, however, violating no laws. So, I don't buy it, nor should it be acceptable.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My personal oppinion?

Any time an LEO is behind me I get nervous. Not because I am guilty of anything, but because I don't want to be pulled over. I tend to slow down, even though I am doing the speed limit because I'm hoping he will pass me. I'm one of the folks that look in the mirror, more than 3 times probably. It's just a nerve racking feeling. It's horrible (IMO) to know that those are reasons I will get pulled over.
    To me...what it sounds like you are saying is that you TRY to make them nervous, or mess up so you have a reason to pull them over. To me....that's crap! :twocents:

RM

A big 'ol :+1:

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    My personal oppinion?

RM

Ahh gotcha... I see your point. For someone that doesn't have experience dealing with LEO on a daily basis may be somewhat nervous everyime a LEO gets behind them... "I don't like getting pulled over either, but if I know I'm not guilty of anything, they can pull me over all day long" Most likely the LEO is just going to a call and "most" of them aren't out to get you... unlike the Trooper I dealt with the other night. It is one thing being nervous and another thing acting suspicious. We patrolled a bad part of town where almost, not all, the people we got behind went from crouched down in the seat, radio blaring, doing 3-4 over the speedlimit; to sitting up straight, hands 10 & 2, radio turned down, driving 5-10 under the speedlimit, and most of the time looking more in their rearview mirror rather than the road infront of them.

(Most cops aren't out there to get people, they are out responding to calls and conducting patrols. If you have nothing to hide there should be nothing to worry about.):twocents:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Ahh gotcha... I see your point. For someone that doesn't have experience dealing with LEO on a daily basis may be somewhat nervous everyime a LEO gets behind them... "I don't like getting pulled over either, but if I know I'm not guilty of anything, they can pull me over all day long" Most likely the LEO is just going to a call and "most" of them aren't out to get you... unlike the Trooper I dealt with the other night. It is one thing being nervous and another thing acting suspicious. We patrolled a bad part of town where almost, not all, the people we got behind went from crouched down in the seat, radio blaring, doing 3-4 over the speedlimit; to sitting up straight, hands 10 & 2, radio turned down, driving 5-10 under the speedlimit, and most of the time looking more in their rearview mirror rather than the road infront of them.

(Most cops aren't out there to get people, they are out responding to calls and conducting patrols. If you have nothing to hide there should be nothing to worry about.):twocents:

But what about my time the LEO just WASTED because he was trying to get me to mess up?

I get what you are saying about slumbing in the seat....but to try to make someone nervous enough to screw up behind the wheel is just wrong. I get you are in a bad area or what not.

""sitting up straight, hands 10 & 2, radio turned down, driving 5-10 under the speedlimit, and most of the time looking more in their rearview mirror rather than the road infront of them""

It's called being NERVOUS. Granted some are guilty of something, but you can't steryotype because of these. It's not right. If I am being tailed by an LEO, you are da$n sure right I'm going to sit straight(er) and turn my radio down and look in the mirror. I'm trying to stay FOCUSEDand not make a mistake (that I guess you want me to make).

I'm not bashing anyone, I just think it's wrong...on all counts.

Top Bottom