• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd dispute that assumption. Plenty of liberal/progressive type(s) own guns, are enthusiasts, train regularly, and own multiple firearms. From my perspective; If conservatives stood alone in the value(s) of the second amendment, there would have been an amendment banning/restricting guns already in place.

Conservatives alone cannot win this fight. So, no matter whether Johnny Reb or INGO feel about the issue, you're in bed with many liberals on this one. As an aside, I will posit that I believe more conservative are single-issue voters than liberals.

The comment was MOST gun owners are conservative. Not all. That said, given the true representation of liberals in the gun owners community, I'll just say every gun group has to have at least one token liberal.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I'd dispute that assumption. Plenty of liberal/progressive type(s) own guns, are enthusiasts, train regularly, and own multiple firearms. From my perspective; If conservatives stood alone in the value(s) of the second amendment, there would have been an amendment banning/restricting guns already in place.

Conservatives alone cannot win this fight. So, no matter whether Johnny Reb or INGO feel about the issue, you're in bed with many liberals on this one. As an aside, I will posit that I believe more conservative are single-issue voters than liberals.

To add to this, the younger generation that is into firearms tend to lean to the left more so than older generations. They will be pro-2nd but also be more pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, etc. than the older folk. I'm a gun-owning pro-2nd millennial, and the people I know in this age group with me have tended these ways. They seem to be more libertarian than liberal. This shift has been a long time coming.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To add to this, the younger generation that is into firearms tend to lean to the left more so than older generations. They will be pro-2nd but also be more pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, etc. than the older folk. I'm a gun-owning pro-2nd millennial, and the people I know in this age group with me have tended these ways. They seem to be more libertarian than liberal. This shift has been a long time coming.

In other words, ya'll haven't been around long enough to know better? ;)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pretty well describes me. I'm socio-liberal / fiscally-conservative / government handout-conservative. Pretty much, I want the government to just leave people alone.

I try to learn as much as possible from the older generation. Mostly.....what not to do :popcorn:

In other words, ya'll haven't been around long enough to know better? ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Legitimate question to all of you. I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

1) Has any single one of these mass murderers been a person that attained their weapon through one of the "loop holes" aka through a personal transaction (say through armslist, etc...)? To my knowledge, they all attained their weapons by either stealing them, through the black market, or legally bought them through FFL's and passed NICS checks.

2) If any of them acquired their weapon through a personal transaction that was not run through NICS (through armslist, etc...), would they have been turned down if they had purchased their weapon at a FFL and had a NICS check done?

I'm really just trying to figure out if any of these mass shootings would have been possibly effected by closing this "loop hole" at all. To my knowledge, none would have been effected.

I don't think the Columbine shooters bought any of theirs legitimately

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And that LEOs would have to give up their own privately-owned guns as well?

In any event, I don't think that the FBI plays these search/seizure games. Maybe the Stasi, erm, DHS?

I just try to point out the sheer enormity of the task. The square miles. The number of houses. The fact that non-gun owners will be affected more than they think. That it's not a one time over and done thing.

Then I can point out that many would be unhappy enforcing such rules. Some may resign. Some may stay on but pass on information. Etc.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    How about cutting to the chase and calling them "Anti-Second Amendment Zones" or "Infringement Zones"? Those terms better convey the breadth of the 2A and our stronger-than-ever "No More Compromises" stance.

Ah, but then it would send the "wrong" message to the PeePul - well the wrong message according to the gun-grabbers, anyway.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Didn't want to start a new thread. Here's some common sense for you...

It's our gun culture that's mentally ill - StarTribune.com

From the article:

Consider the sheriff in Roseburg. He stated quite forthrightly that he would not enforce any federal gun laws, nor would he allow his deputies to do so. And now he is looking in the faces of the mothers and fathers and husbands and wives of the dead. How can he sleep at night? Is he at least a little conflicted?
    Sadly, probably not. To him, it wasn’t a gun that killed all those people. It was a person.

And? I don't understand the author's point of view.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    The comment was MOST gun owners are conservative. Not all. That said, given the true representation of liberals in the gun owners community, I'll just say every gun group has to have at least one token liberal.

Ha! I am a token moderate out here. ( Well most view me as a conservative or "right" but fairly socially liberal) In IN I'd be viewed as leaning liberatarian ( NOT to be confused with INGOtarian)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Like it or not there are going to be criminals with guns. Even Nazi Germany could not keep guns out of the hands of the people. That being said; if there are going to be shootings it is better that they are gunfights that massacres. What is so hard for people to figure out about that?

Top Bottom