• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I don't think they're as big here as they are in other places because they don't hold any weight..

In Ohio (at least last I knew, when they first started doing CCW Courses) the signs held legal weight. If Joe Shopkeeper puts up a "No Guns" sign and I enter, OC or CC, I'm trespassing by breaking the rule of the sign, even if I never say a word to you. If I'd entered without seeing the sign, Johnny Law can come pick me up..

Of course, Ohio also had a large group of people that put out "No Guns, No Cash" letters. LOTS of signs went away after a business saw how much money was leaving the store when they didn't let handguns in..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's funny, but until I started carrying I never really noticed the signs at all. Now that I notice them, I see that they're usually really tiny, or they're a line item on a list of rules (like at Simon malls). The only place I've seen giant "No Guns!" signs is on gun stores. But I don't really want to go down that discussion path again as my feelings on the topic are quite well known.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What I don't understand is why every get's so all worked up over it in places it is a privledge to be and barely make a peep over it where they have an absolute right to be and they risk real jail time exercising their "right".

Public buildings, offices, their children's school... just about everywhere they specific list on the license you ask government bureaucrats for and paid and paid for then they give you a list of places you are not allowed to exercise your "right" and ya'll want to give a private property owner that doesn't want you on their property grief over it. Yet I hardly read a peep over the kings and rulers ordering you to stay off property you pay for under their order and threat of violent retribution if you disobey their supreme authority.

A shop owner just puts up a little sign saying he's not interested in your business and ya go apecrap over it, your government tyrant's tell you once to get off and stay off your own property and ya just hang your heads and mumble about the 5 and dime.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    What I don't understand is why every get's so all worked up over it in places it is a privledge to be and barely make a peep over it where they have an absolute right to be and they risk real jail time exercising their "right".

Public buildings, offices, their children's school... just about everywhere they specific list on the license you ask government bureaucrats for and paid and paid for then they give you a list of places you are not allowed to exercise your "right" and ya'll want to give a private property owner that doesn't want you on their property grief over it. Yet I hardly read a peep over the kings and rulers ordering you to stay off property you pay for under their order and threat of violent retribution if you disobey their supreme authority.

A shop owner just puts up a little sign saying he's not interested in your business and ya go apecrap over it, your government tyrant's tell you once to get off and stay off your own property and ya just hang your heads and mumble about the 5 and dime.

It's a matter of picking one's battles. People, in general, haven't had a lot of success getting restrictions removed at government buildings, schools, and the like. People, however, have had at least occasional success getting private businesses to change their policies.

By getting victories, even small ones, one hopes to build momentum that can be used to win greater victories later.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    If a sign is posted outside a shop of some sort (ex. a bakery, flower shop), a type of place where you may actually run into the owner. I would respect that owners right. Just as I would respect him if he did not want firearms in his house. It's his place he has just as much right to tell me he doesn't want me in there as I have the right to carry. Also, just because someone doesn't want firearms in their shop doesn't mean they are communist or something. It's a preference, end of story, and I would not necessarily shop some place else just because of that decision. That's me personally. We have some friends that don't like me to carry in their house, so I don't. It just makes them uncomfortable. They are still great friends and we go over there all the time. I don't whine about being disarmed when I go there.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Thanks Scutter01, I must say I've been I little worried the LEOs would come running.

While legally Scutter is absolutely correct, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the LEO's running thing either. Most of which is related to the mood of the LEO's. Just because the sign doesn't have the weight of the law doesn't mean the LEO's don't have a book full of other laws to deter you if they wish.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    While legally Scutter is absolutely correct, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the LEO's running thing either. Most of which is related to the mood of the LEO's. Just because the sign doesn't have the weight of the law doesn't mean the LEO's don't have a book full of other laws to deter you if they wish.

Ah the good ole Indiana Code pocket book :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I carry a few pocket cards with some info printed on them. The cards read:
    Front
    I have noticed your sign and am going to
    respect your wishes by shopping elsewhere.

(ghostbuster signs here: No gun=no $)

You lost my business today and in the future.
    IN LTC holders are among the most law-abiding
    citizens in the state. Most of us will not bring a weapon
    where it is unwelcome. The same cannot be said of
    criminals who, by definition, do not obey the law.

Back

As the holder of an Indiana
    License to Carry a Handgun:

I have passed both an Indiana State Police and an FBI criminal history background check.

I have never been convicted of a crime for which I could have been sentenced to over one year.
    I have never had a felony conviction (ever).

I have no convictions involving unsafe handling of a handgun.

I am not a drug or alcohol abuser, nor am I prone to violent or emotionally unstable conduct.
    I have no mental defects or disabilities.

How much do you know about your other customers?

Would they willingly and lawfully defend you or your employees in the event of a criminal attack?

I have yet to give one out.

Blessings,
    Bill​

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Ya I saw those Ohio signs and was thinking... why would you get a CCW in Ohio when you cant carry anywhere? Just seems weird but thats why I dont go to Ohio or any other State that does not welcome our licenses.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    As a longtime Ohio resident..

I got a CCW permit, in Ohio, so I could carry concealed and transport my loaded firearms in my vehicle.

IIRC, you don't need a permit to go to the range in Ohio. You can transport handguns all over the state as long as they're not loaded, and if you have ammo, it has to be in a separate part of the vehicle (gun in car, ammo in trunk, for example). Open carry okay, no permit needed, but if you get in your car, you have to unload your firearm, lock the ammo in the trunk, then get in the car.. ugh!

That's the benefit of the permit. Sure, you can put up a sign, but most places didn't.. at least not places I visited. Really, the only places that I would have considered going but couldn't were the high school where my mom works (duh) and restaraunts that serve alcohol. I don't drink much, so it's not like I had to hit the bar or anything, but I do like steakhouses and most of them serve beer, so they're out..

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's been a couple of years now, but my last trip through Ohio, I just left the gun in the bike's saddlebag, unloaded.
    You couldn't carry in the dang Interstate rest areas! The one place you're more likely to have a use for a gun. That, and given the Ohio State Patrol's usually unforgiving nature, made me give up.
    Meanwhile, if you want to see lots of no-guns signs, check out St. Louis. You almost can't turn around without seeing one, and it's a crime if you hop on the trolley or a bus.
    Another place, the gun stayed in the bag.
    In Indiana, I can't recall seeing any no-gun signs in the neck of the woods we most often go, with one glaring exception: The US Steelyard baseball park in downtown Gary.
    We go to lots of Railcats games, but it's hard to be enthused about going about unarmed in that town. As one of my Gary PD friends remarked, "We gets lots of experience testing self-defense ammo... we shoot eight or ten guys a year (It's Gold Dots in .40 and.45, for them).
    There's two ways into the park: the main gate, where the no weapons sign is posted (straight text, no pix), and through the Bennigan's Restaurant, which isn't posted.
    I don't think I've ever carried into the park in the dozens of times we've been there, but it's not comfortable de-gunning in the parking lots or on the street, especially on the motorcycle out in the open.
    The Gary PD has coppers looking over the incoming patrons pretty closely, so if I did carry, it'd probably be only in a Smart Carry/Thunderwear.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's been a couple of years now, but my last trip through Ohio, I just left the gun in the bike's saddlebag, unloaded.
    You couldn't carry in the dang Interstate rest areas! The one place you're more likely to have a use for a gun. That, and given the Ohio State Patrol's usually unforgiving nature, made me give up.
    Meanwhile, if you want to see lots of no-guns signs, check out St. Louis. You almost can't turn around without seeing one, and it's a crime if you hop on the trolley or a bus.
    Another place, the gun stayed in the bag.
    In Indiana, I can't recall seeing any no-gun signs in the neck of the woods we most often go, with one glaring exception: The US Steelyard baseball park in downtown Gary.
    We go to lots of Railcats games, but it's hard to be enthused about going about unarmed in that town. As one of my Gary PD friends remarked, "We gets lots of experience testing self-defense ammo... we shoot eight or ten guys a year (It's Gold Dots in .40 and.45, for them).
    There's two ways into the park: the main gate, where the no weapons sign is posted (straight text, no pix), and through the Bennigan's Restaurant, which isn't posted.
    I don't think I've ever carried into the park in the dozens of times we've been there, but it's not comfortable de-gunning in the parking lots or on the street, especially on the motorcycle out in the open.
    The Gary PD has coppers looking over the incoming patrons pretty closely, so if I did carry, it'd probably be only in a Smart Carry/Thunderwear.

Does the city of Gary have an ordinance that forbids carry there? I know the IC does not. We really need to get an actual full pre-emption law in place; this "local laws in place before 1994" thing is just silly, not to mention hearkening back to when "gun control" was only used to "keep the ni**ers in line". It's an old, outdated, and outmoded concept that needs to be overturned in a big way.

Blessings,
    Bill

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I'd love to get a copy of this myself. :)

Greg

I carry a few pocket cards with some info printed on them. The cards read:
    Front
    I have noticed your sign and am going to
    respect your wishes by shopping elsewhere.

(ghostbuster signs here: No gun=no $)

You lost my business today and in the future.
    IN LTC holders are among the most law-abiding
    citizens in the state. Most of us will not bring a weapon
    where it is unwelcome. The same cannot be said of
    criminals who, by definition, do not obey the law.

Back

As the holder of an Indiana
    License to Carry a Handgun:

I have passed both an Indiana State Police and an FBI criminal history background check.

I have never been convicted of a crime for which I could have been sentenced to over one year.
    I have never had a felony conviction (ever).

I have no convictions involving unsafe handling of a handgun.

I am not a drug or alcohol abuser, nor am I prone to violent or emotionally unstable conduct.
    I have no mental defects or disabilities.

How much do you know about your other customers?
    Would they willingly and lawfully defend you or your employees in the event of a criminal attack?

I have yet to give one out.​

Blessings,

Bill​

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm afraid I have no idea what the heck Gary thinks. My friend is a fairly high-ranking GPD supervisor (but I hesitate to identify him), and he tells me point-blank not to go in there, or anywhere in Gary at night, unarmed, and said he didn't know of a prohibition.
    So I have no clue what's up. I'm just reading the sign to you.

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I believe the City of Gary still owns the park and leases it to the baseball team.
    It's a terrific place and fills up on Friday nights, 6000 seats. Never thought I'd live to see the day six thousand people would flock to downtown Gary. It's a heckuva thing.
    I know they paid 48 million bucks for it, when most other cities are building parks just like it for less than half. It has something to do with the old mayor becoming "former", say my Gary friends.
    Different story.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    I'm afraid I have no idea what the heck Gary thinks. My friend is a fairly high-ranking GPD supervisor (but I hesitate to identify him), and he tells me point-blank not to go in there, or anywhere in Gary at night, unarmed, and said he didn't know of a prohibition.
    So I have no clue what's up. I'm just reading the sign to you.
    I am pretty sure I'd rather be chased on foot by wild bears w/ a .22 than go to Gary anytime, day or night. :ar15:Give me a M16, then maybe I'll think about it. Being 120lbs soaking wet does not exactly help my chances in a town like that also.

Top Bottom