• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Several years ago I watched bunnies eat the blooms off my merrigolds, so I am not conviced about that method. It doesn't hurt to try, just don't expect it to be a sure-fire success. Perhaps I just had very hungry bunnies?

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    that's what i'm thinking, but only those plastic throw-away cups my kid gets at the nicer restaurants. remove the bottom after the transplant takes, and bury.

These cups probably won't be deep enough. You want them deep enough so the roots don't grow out the bottom and spread out. Even with 5 gallon buckets we still pull the ocasional runaway.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    To get them to persevere through the winter, you will want to keep the pots or box from freezing solid. Depending on the size of the box, you can bury it up to the rim in the ground, or you can set it on the ground and cover the entire thing with mulch. If the box is affixed to the house or a deck or such, there's not much you can really do.

It's a trough, approximately 48 inches long, 16 inches wide and about 10 inches deep. I kept it positioned all winter in the sun so it would not freeze. A couple of inspections showed no freezing, but I'm sure it did. A couple weeks ago I went out and trimmed back all the 'red' leaves and trimmed all the dead runners. Right now it has about 20 blooms and I'm feeling pretty good about actually getting some fruit this year. I had considered covering it with straw and then putting a piece of chicken fence over that to keep it from blowing away.

What do you think?

Mrs. SGT Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Portland
    We were having all kinds of trouble with rabbits last year. My husband tried several different things to try to keep them away, but one worked better than all the others. I don't know if you will have the same luck as we did though. After getting fed up, my husband took his shotgun out and shot a rabbit in the garden and fed it to our cats. After that, anytime a rabbit came close they hunted it down. The down side was all the random body parts we found in the yard.
    picture.php

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom