• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Here is a Post Office question for the local southsiders and Beech Grove Ingoers. Are the four parking spaces on Main St in front of the BG post office considered post office property? Asking for a friend.
    I'm going to say no, because if I recall correctly there are no signs indicating they are USPS property. And they are separated from the building by a public sidewalk. Take it for what it is worth.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Not only is it a federal crime to carry into the building, it is a federal crime to have the gun in your car in their parking lot. I was very disappointed in the 10th Circuit when they overturned Bonidy, and was hoping for an appeal to SCOTUS.

Subchapter D. Section 232.1
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
    carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
    openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
    official purposes.

And "Official purposes" is defined elsewhere. Nothing a private citizen does will qualify.
    In some small towns, the township owns the property the post office is on. Would one in your vehicle be an issue then?

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    In some small towns, the township owns the property the post office is on. Would one in your vehicle be an issue then?

It depends whether the parking lot is considered "Post Office property". If the parking lot is specific to the post office, it probably is. If it's a shared parking lot, probably not. But proceed with caution, as the definition is inexact, and the consequences are major...

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    There was a ruling by a federal judge in 2013 that it was allowed in parking lots on post office property.
    That was reversed in2015 by the 10th Circuit Court.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Alright then, the IN LTCH exemption from the federal law on schools, school parking lots, etc.

If you are saying that carrying in a "school zone" is not a federal crime because the federal law creates an exception for those licensed by the state, I agree. However, that's because the federal law creates the exception.

If the federal law did not have that exception (I am leaving out whether it is constitutional), there is nothing Indiana could do on its own to make it not a federal crime.

States can choose not to enforce federal laws. States cannot declare federal laws invalid or unenforceable. The feds can enforce federal laws in any state, state law notwithstanding.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Not only is it a federal crime to carry into the building, it is a federal crime to have the gun in your car in their parking lot. I was very disappointed in the 10th Circuit when they overturned Bonidy, and was hoping for an appeal to SCOTUS.
    Subchapter D. Section 232.1
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
    carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
    openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
    official purposes.

And "Official purposes" is defined elsewhere. Nothing a private citizen does will qualify.
    It's the 'on property' thing that catches most people...because one might think to leave their firearm in their vehicle when they make a quick run inside, not realizing that the parking lot outside is considered 'postal' property.
    Even at schools (in Indiana) a parent or teacher can bring their weapon to school with them and, as long as it stays secured in their vehicle, they're okay having it 'on-property.'
    Interestingly, the USPS is not a federally 'owned' program...it is a federal 'funded' and federally 'protected' business...many don't know the difference. Doesn't mean their regulations aren't 'valid' it just means that it's not a true government program.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Sect 232.1. No person on US Postal Service property may carry or store firearms, explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons either openly or concealed, Except for official purposes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Sect 232.1. No person on US Postal Service property may carry or store firearms, explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons either openly or concealed, Except for official purposes.

Isn't that unconstitutional?

:dunno:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well I’ll have you know I’m always on official purposes!
    Am I being detained?!?

Top Bottom