• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Here is the email that I sent to ATF's 41F email address. I'll let everyone know what I hear.

"I am trying to get some clarification on the definition of responsible person. I currently have a trust setup. My trust includes my two (2) children that are under 18 years old, my wife and my father. Under the new rules of 41F, if I purchase a new NFA item will my children need to be photographed and finger printed too?

Also, what is the preferred way to notify local law enforcement and how will the ATF know that this task has been completed? I was thinking sending all ATF documents to the local law enforcement by registered United States Postal Service."

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    CLEO notification is simply, faxing or emailing a copy of the completed application. FFL's must do this this when getting or renewing a license. A CLEO notification is also sent when a person, purchases more than 1 handgun within 5 business days.

1. Complete forms.
    2. Mail 2 copies to the BATFE NFA Branch
    3. Mail or Fax 1 copy to your CLEO, as defined.
    4. Wait, probably longer as they sort out all the new mess they've created.
    5. Continue waiting..
    6. Go back to gun store, get new forms due to missing a check box or answering a question wrong.
    7. Call the NFA branch often and ask about the status of your forms.
    8. Wait.
    9. Begin to get frustrated. Call the dealer who sold you the firearm and pester them.
    10. Call the MFG. and see of they can call and check the status for you.
    11. Return to gun store and get new forms, due to your examiner losing them. (they cashed that check on day 5 though)
    12. Become Angry.
    13. Realize after 19 months that the gun store has had your approved form for 12 months and that they couldn't contact you because you didn't keep your information updated. You moved and changed your number.
    14. Go to gun store, complete 4473..
    15. Lose baffle.
    16. Repeat.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Here is the email that I sent to ATF's 41F email address. I'll let everyone know what I hear.

"I am trying to get some clarification on the definition of responsible person. I currently have a trust setup. My trust includes my two (2) children that are under 18 years old, my wife and my father. Under the new rules of 41F, if I purchase a new NFA item will my children need to be photographed and finger printed too?

Also, what is the preferred way to notify local law enforcement and how will the ATF know that this task has been completed? I was thinking sending all ATF documents to the local law enforcement by registered United States Postal Service."

I heard back from the ATF.

"If the children are listed on the Trust as Beneficiaries and did not have the power to make changes to the Trust, they would not fall under the definition of a Responsible person and would not need to submit fingerprints and photos.

ATF has no requirements as to how the CLEO is given a copy of the applications."

Top Bottom