• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I thought Pop's was For Sale - Any Update or did no one came up with the outrageous sum to buy the business and exclusive managerial contract that went with the sale?

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Went in with a friend today just to buy batteries... stood there for nearly an hour, no one wanted to even acknowledge us, despite us standing at a case, very much looking like we needed help, finally had to walk over and interrupt an employee mid sentence and ask for batteries because I was getting fed up with standing there. First time I've ever been there, last time too.

Were you with the guy in the marine shirt?

If so, I saw you guys standing over there when I bought my book earlier today.

I wasn't at all impressed with the prices. The GSG-5 (i think thats the name...22lr looks like an MP5 sorta) was somewhere around $700! Bradis has this very same gun for $399!

I just stood in line to check out in order to get help.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Were you with the guy in the marine shirt?

If so, I saw you guys standing over there when I bought my book earlier today.

I wasn't at all impressed with the prices. The GSG-5 (i think thats the name...22lr looks like an MP5 sorta) was somewhere around $700! Bradis has this very same gun for $399!

I just stood in line to check out in order to get help.

Nope, we were the two tall ugly guys.. black leather jacket was the tallest, then me in my brown wool coat and brown dress shirt. And yeah I saw that mp5 looking thing too and even cracked a joke about how expensive it was.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I was in there using the range (has it ever gone to S**T) and they were laughing about giving crappy customer service, they didn't care if people ever came back because where else would people go to shoot and who cared if they bough a gun from them or not becasue of their online gun sales.

The woman clerk told me that she was imbaressed by the way that the other clerks treated the customers.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I was in there using the range (has it ever gone to S**T) and they were laughing about giving crappy customer service, they didn't care if people ever came back because where else would people go to shoot and who cared if they bough a gun from them or not becasue of their online gun sales.

The woman clerk told me that she was imbaressed by the way that the other clerks treated the customers.

Yeah they really just didn't seem to give a crap. Saw one of them start to help a customer, only to stop mid conversation and walk away when his cell phone rang.

What REALLY got me is they had a 'parts gun' non-functioning revolver in the case for lie 49$ or something... if I owned a guns hop... I'd never, EVER sell a non-functioning firearm... especially a rusted, beat up one.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    I have never been in Pop's without feeling like I was disturbing them. I am the customer and should get their attention as soon as I walk throught he door. Plus they have always been high on their firearms and accessories. I determined along time ago to never purchase anything from them again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My weekend experience at Pop Guns: a two-hour-plus wait for the range. Two of the lanes were broken, which didn't help matters. Members were being put on lanes ahead of non-members, even though it was not "members' hours". It wasn't too hard to get a salesperson's attention when you wanted one and the staff was friendly.

Suggestions for Pop Guns (presuming they read this forum):

• Have chairs/stools/something for people who are waiting for the lanes. There are almost always a LOT of people waiting on weekends.
    • If members ALWAYS go first, make that a clear part of the rules and maybe I'll join too. If members only go first on weekdays like the sign on your wall says, then make them wait in line with the rest of us on weekends.
    I don't dislike the place (as a shooting range, that is). I just wish they'd clean up their act in a few areas.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    My weekend experience at Pop Guns: a two-hour-plus wait for the range. Two of the lanes were broken, which didn't help matters. Members were being put on lanes ahead of non-members, even though it was not "members' hours". It wasn't too hard to get a salesperson's attention when you wanted one and the staff was friendly.

Suggestions for Pop Guns (presuming they read this forum):

• Have chairs/stools/something for people who are waiting for the lanes. There are almost always a LOT of people waiting on weekends.
    • If members ALWAYS go first, make that a clear part of the rules and maybe I'll join too. If members only go first on weekdays like the sign on your wall says, then make them wait in line with the rest of us on weekends.
    I don't dislike the place (as a shooting range, that is). I just wish they'd clean up their act in a few areas.

When I was there someone said a few times "If you buy a membership I'll move you to the front of the line"

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    When I was there someone said a few times "If you buy a membership I'll move you to the front of the line"

Uh, yeah, that's one of the prerogatives of being a member. And there are no "members hours" (re: comment uptopic) there are hours where members don't have to pay to use the range and there are other hours where members get a steep discount to use the range.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    member speaking

Uh, yeah, that's one of the prerogatives of being a member. And there are no "members hours" (re: comment uptopic) there are hours where members don't have to pay to use the range and there are other hours where members get a steep discount to use the range.

I have been a member for around five months and always go during week days being retired so I do not have a clue what goes on there on weekend. I have called ahead and made a reservation only to get there and they have no record of it but they always get me on next. I have seen some of the lack of attention given to people but if you don't speak up shame on you. The employees are in need of some training but that comes from the top down, all we can do is speak up and let them know our time is important as theirs. The more people who bitch the better the chance of something changing. If they had more competition in the shooting range they would probably be run out of business due to their poor customer service.
    :twocents:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I agree with most of the posts. I never bought anything from Pop's due to their high prices, but I go to their range a lot in the winter.

I wish somebody would open a really nice super range (15 lanes or more) here in the Indy area with a nice gun shop attached. If they kept it clean and had good customer service, it would be a success. I'm sure there is a lot to owning a gun range/gun shop business, but in my opinion, there is a huge market here in Indy. I live in Noblesville, so the closest range around is Pop's (35 minute drive) and most of the time, there is a 1 hour wait there (and the range is not properly ventilated). I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to open a range/gun shop (not to mention all the legal stuff), but there would be a line of customers just waiting to join/buy if they did it right.

I am excited for Wyatt's to open their range, although I wish they would allow high powered rifles.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm going to stop by after a meeting today, it'll be my first time there. I hope to shoot 2-3 boxes of 9mm. I'll report a newbie's impressions when I get home.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    pops and don's alike

me-"Gander Mountain has these for $xxx" Your price is always 30%+ higher, can you move on the price at all?

them-"Nope, that's a good deal. Go buy it there then"

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Seemed like a nice place. I spoke with two different guys, one as I went in and one as I paid and left- they seemed nice and friendly.

I was shooting a little Kel-Tec PF-9. Still trying to learn how to overcome my flinch so I can aim it :)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Seemed like a nice place. I spoke with two different guys, one as I went in and one as I paid and left- they seemed nice and friendly.

I was shooting a little Kel-Tec PF-9. Still trying to learn how to overcome my flinch so I can aim it :)

For flinch, I'd recommend working with a .22. They have some rentals at Pop Guns, but a rental .22 (except for just trying one out) seems to kind of defeat one of the major purposes of the .22 LR round: cheap shooting. If you shoot a lot, you can save more than the cost of an inexpensive .22 in ammo costs in a relatively short time.

Top Bottom