• Total voters

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Start with China

China has their act together better than we do at this point. Are they as free in a couple specific areas? No. But they're vastly less degenerate, considerably more productive, and they're going to end up landing on mars before we do, if we don't change course.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    China has their act together better than we do at this point. Are they as free in a couple specific areas? No. But they're vastly less degenerate, considerably more productive, and they're going to end up landing on mars before we do, if we don't change course.

Less degenerate? China is and up and coming power but I'm not sure I'd say they have their act together better than we do.

I would agree that if they set a goal to go to Mars before us that might just be the fire lit under our collective asses to get our own space program back up and running. It's sad, in a human race preservation sort of way, that it would take a cold war and china jabbing us in the side to find the motivation to further explore space in a powerful way.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Less degenerate? China is and up and coming power but I'm not sure I'd say they have their act together better than we do.

I would agree that if they set a goal to go to Mars before us that might just be the fire lit under our collective asses to get our own space program back up and running. It's sad, in a human race preservation sort of way, that it would take a cold war and china jabbing us in the side to find the motivation to further explore space in a powerful way.

Yes, space exploration is a sad situation.

I have some friends leaving college who have set their sights on working in the field of rocketry and space exploration. They've all given up on the US and said if this election doesn't produce a candidate that funds NASA properly, they're leaving for China, because they know China is actually going to put real resources and effort into it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...You'd think this would be a blessing in disguise for real republicans. They have their opportunity to split off from RINOs, disavow Trump, and possibly bring in loads of conservative minded minorities (like me) into the fold...

Have you really thought through the possible outcomes of what you're suggesting? Although it might bring you personal satisfaction to see the GOP flip-off Trump, once he got his 1238 (or whatever), there is really no happy outcome possible within the event horizon of our current situation. If the GOP somehow mustered some kind of principled resistance to Trump, disavowed him, and went all the way by running someone like David French (!) against him, they might gain they Pyrrhic victory of your personal satisfaction. But the best possible outcome would be that they lose the election to the Democrat and hold onto Congress...which basically puts the country exactly back where it is currently under Obama. = No improvement. The best possible outcome is that you _might_ reload the status quo for 8 more years. In fact, it's likely the situation would be worse, because the miffed Trumpsters might take a hike, and allow Democrats to gain big-time control of Congress, placing Hillary in a position to inflict serious damage (I'm assuming that's not something you would want).

So you're expecting the GOP to take a huge tactical risk, for the personal satisfaction of a few NeverTrumpers, on the chance that 8 years from now, a handful of gun-owning minorities might sufficiently remember their warm, glowing feelings over the 2016 dismissal of Trump, that it might actually be enough to change the historical support of 17% of the population from 97% Democrat to, maybe, 92% Democrat? That's 0.8% of America. The Republican Party is dumb, but they're not that dumb.

We may all have some serious misgivings about Trump, but I think if you think about what you're saying, you have to realize no party in its right mind is going to flip-off 40+% of Republican Primary voters, to champion the feelings of 0.8% of the public who happen to be Black gunowners who "might" change their political affiliation. Even if we include a few T. Lexs and GPIAs and double that number, you're still talking about a small shift, and one that will take 8 years before it can manifest to any positive net benefit, assuming it's not overcome by other events.

The GOP (now) realize that they fixed their ***** sandwich when they distractedly handed $130 Million to Jeb Bush (who did not even have a canned response ready for the inevitable question about his brother's invasion of Iraq). Now they're going to have to eat that sandwich. There is no display of principle possible at this point, which would not have a substantial chance to worsen their situation even more. I know that sounds like crap, but it's precisely what they've gotten themselves into.

The GOP's chance at disavowing Trump was to field a credible, acceptable alternative to him - figure out who that person would be (based on the feelings of the voters), and get massive money behind that person. Forty percent or more of the primary electorate simply feels the GOP failed to do that. And unfortunately, that was all she wrote.

Last edited:

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes, space exploration is a sad situation.

I have some friends leaving college who have set their sights on working in the field of rocketry and space exploration. They've all given up on the US and said if this election doesn't produce a candidate that funds NASA properly, they're leaving for China, because they know China is actually going to put real resources and effort into it.

I consider myself a libertarian but space exploration is my big cheat. I don't want to force anyone to pay for anything they don't want to but space exploration is just one area that, to me, transcends politics, nationalism, any petty disagreement's we have on this tiny spec of dust suspended in a sun beam.

One of my favorites, on looking back at the earth from the moon Edgar D. Mitchell said:

[h=1]“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a *****.”[/h]

[video=youtube;p86BPM1GV8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Have you really thought through the possible outcomes of what you're suggesting? Although it might bring you personal satisfaction to see the GOP flip-off Trump, once he got his 1238 (or whatever), there is really no happy outcome possible within the event horizon of our current situation. If the GOP somehow mustered some kind of principled resistance to Trump, disavowed him, and went all the way by running someone like David French (!) against him, they might gain they Pyrrhic victory of your personal satisfaction. But the best possible outcome would be that they lose the election to the Democrat and hold onto Congress...which basically puts the country exactly back where it is currently under Obama. = No improvement. The best possible outcome is that you _might_ reload the status quo for 8 more years. In fact, it's likely the situation would be worse, because the miffed Trumpsters might take a hike, and allow Democrats to gain big-time control of Congress, placing Hillary in a position to inflict serious damage (I'm assuming that's not something you would want).

So you're expecting the GOP to take a huge tactical risk, for the personal satisfaction of a few NeverTrumpers, on the chance that 8 years from now, a handful of gun-owning minorities might sufficiently remember their warm, glowing feelings over the 2016 dismissal of Trump, that it might actually be enough to change the historical support of 17% of the population from 97% Democrat to, maybe, 92% Democrat? That's 0.8% of America. The Republican Party is dumb, but they're not that dumb.

We may all have some serious misgivings about Trump, but I think if you think about what you're saying, you have to realize no party in its right mind is going to flip-off 40+% of Republican Primary voters, to champion the feelings of 0.8% of the public who happen to be Black gunowners who "might" change their political affiliation. Even if we include a few T. Lexs and GPIAs and double that number, you're still talking about a small shift, and one that will take 8 years before it can manifest to any positive net benefit, assuming it's not overcome by other events.

The GOP (now) realize that they fixed their ***** sandwich when they distractedly handed $130 Million to Jeb Bush (who did not even have a canned response ready for the inevitable question about his brother's invasion of Iraq). Now they're going to have to eat that sandwich. There is no display of principle possible at this point, which would not have a substantial chance to worsen their situation even more. I know that sounds like crap, but it's precisely what they've gotten themselves into.

The GOP's chance at disavowing Trump was to field a credible, acceptable alternative to him - figure out who that person would be (based on the feelings of the voters), and get massive money behind that person. Forty percent or more of the primary electorate simply feels the GOP failed to do that. And unfortunately, that was all she wrote.

Yes, I've thought it through. Essentially, this election they'd have to accept they've lost, and look towards the future. This election may be the last time the GOP has a legitimate shot at the WH. The GOP is what, 90% white? The country was last, around, 90% white in 1900. Today that number is 77%...62% if you take out white Hispanics. The GOP can't afford to toy with candidates that walk the line Trump does, especially considering there are sizeable portions of minority voters that trend conservative, but avoid the party due to racial rhetoric. Barry Goldwater probably set the Republicans back 100 years, and Trump will probably have the same effect on Hispanics.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes, I've thought it through. Essentially, this election they'd have to accept they've lost, and look towards the future. This election may be the last time the GOP has a legitimate shot at the WH. The GOP is what, 90% white? The country was last, around, 90% white in 1900. Today that number is 77%...62% if you take out white Hispanics. The GOP can't afford to toy with candidates that walk the line Trump does, especially considering there are sizeable portions of minority voters that trend conservative, but avoid the party due to racial rhetoric. Barry Goldwater probably set the Republicans back 100 years, and Trump will probably have the same effect on Hispanics.

As we become more dependent on hand outs, it's going to be awfully hard to beat Santa Claus going forward, no matter what color is one's skin.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As we become more dependent on hand outs, it's going to be awfully hard to beat Santa Claus going forward, no matter what color is one's skin.

Exactly what handouts are out there? I've been asking about this for the last seven years. I don't need the cell phone,so are there others and how do I qualify? I do know this video is true and when America REALLY was providing handouts, they were not being called that, but building the country. But, please don't get caught up on the video, I want to know what these handouts are.

[video=youtube_share;aBwKnnZN52U]http://youtu.be/aBwKnnZN52U[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Exactly what handouts are out there? I've been asking about this for the last seven years. I don't need the cell phone,so are there others and how do I qualify? I do know this video is true and when America REALLY was providing handouts, they were not being called that, but building the country. But, please don't get caught up on the video, I want to know what these handouts are.

Food stamps and earned income credit come to mind.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Do you own a farm?
    Do you own a green energy company?
    Do you get social security disability?
    Do your kids get free lunch at school?
    Do you get an earned income tax credit?
    Do you own a bank that was too big to fail?
    Do you get food stamps?
    Do you own a car company that was too big to fail?
    Do you get your medical care subsidized by the tax payers?
    Does your business get some taxpayer funded subsidy?

There's plenty to go around...no matter what your race is, your economic situation, or how vast your wealth is.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    108 - 3- 27

:rockwoot:Yeah! Hillary wins! :rockwoot:

Since the dems vote in a block That gives Hillary 47% of the vote, unless Bernie viters defect, doubtful.

108 - 27 is 4/5 - 1/5 or 40% - 10% so Hillary wins 47% - 40% :rockwoot:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Do you own a farm?
    Do you own a green energy company?
    Do you get social security disability?
    Do your kids get free lunch at school?
    Do you get an earned income tax credit?
    Do you own a bank that was too big to fail?
    Do you get food stamps?
    Do you own a car company that was too big to fail?
    Do you get your medical care subsidized by the tax payers?
    Does your business get some taxpayer funded subsidy?

There's plenty to go around...no matter what your race is, your economic situation, or how vast your wealth is.

And worse yet, it is entirely possible to find yourself in the position in which you NEED the handout because of the combination of money that has already been taken from you for the program coupled with greatly inflated prices induced by overuse of the resources by people not directly paying for them. Health insurance and higher education are two areas where this is very problematic because of the artificial spike in demand caused by the users of the services not having to cut the check themselves. Same thing with farm subsidies. When the agricultural economy is built around the subsidies, unless you find a really good niche market, you can't make it without taking the sugar like everyone else, unless you really like bankruptcy. It is truly a self-sustaining problem!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Food stamps and earned income credit come to mind.

I needed food stamps for a short period after I got out of the Army. Are you suggesting getting rid of them all together or reshaping the system to avoid abuse? I don't qualify for earned income credit.

Do you own a farm? NO
    Do you own a green energy company? NO
    Do you get social security disability? NO, but I am considered a disabled veteran. Does that qualify?
    Do your kids get free lunch at school? NO
    Do you get an earned income tax credit? NO
    Do you own a bank that was too big to fail? NO
    Do you get food stamps? NO
    Do you own a car company that was too big to fail? NO
    Do you get your medical care subsidized by the tax payers? I'm a state employee, so...
    Does your business get some taxpayer funded subsidy? NO

So far, I get NOTHING that I consider a handout, but I may be wrong. Is anything I mentioned a handout? If we all get something, what do you get that you want cut off?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I needed food stamps for a short period after I got out of the Army. Are you suggesting getting rid of them all together or reshaping the system to avoid abuse? I don't qualify for earned income credit.

So far, I get NOTHING that I consider a handout, but I may be wrong. Is anything I mentioned a handout? If we all get something, what do you get that you want cut off?

VA disability is Workman's comp. Got injured in the service Uncle Sam is supposed to fix you up. The money we get a month is the settlement if you were to sue a private company over an inury paid out over the course of your life instead of a lump sum.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Revamping.

There are WAY too many people receiving food stamps today. Housing subsidies are another one. There are a lot of people who live their lives without trying to better themselves so as to not lose those .gov subsidies.

We have a system where if they work hard and make more, they really do not gain anything as they lose subsidy dollars as a result.

Food stamps should be a short term program for people, not a for life program.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I totally agree. But I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. My father is career retired Army. He grew up an Alabama sharecropper, and fought in two wars. As a high ranking NCO, he worked at a Burger King, yes, Burger King to make ends meet... until he was told politely told to stop. As a kid, I remember us using lawn furniture indoors (for a short time), with a plastic crate to hold the TV. Nikes, Reeboks? Ha, I wore only the top of the line from Woolworths, lol. Funny thing, I never thought I was doing without. I only realized what poor was, when our lot got better. I used to be ashamed and embarrassed, but not anymore.

My pop never asked for a handout, never wanted a handout, and truth be told, he doesn't think much of people that do..... but here's the kicker, he's a Democrat. His experiences and subsequent success (he's a United Airlines exec living in San Fran, proper currently) make him what should be THE prototypical Republican: rags to riches, military, Baptist, more guns than a small island nation.

The problem? While he's not exactly a political science expert, he views the Republican Party, generally, as hostile to people of color.... or more correctly, pandering to racists. The fact that the Republican Party has allowed Trump to take the reigns... a guy who tweeted that: "81% of whites are killed by blacks" (false), implied that the majority of Mexican illegals are rapists, drug carriers, and criminals (beside the crime of entering illegally), that he doesn't want black people counting his money, that he has no idea who David Duke is (BFS), and referring to an American born judge as Mexican... I mean c'mon!

People of color, EVEN THE CONSERVATIVE ONES are never going support a party that makes apparent that they are willing to be led by people openly hostile to them.

Hence why I say the GOP is missing it's chance. The fact that there hasn't been an exodus from the party, honestly, is baffling. If Trump is defeated this November, and with minorities becoming more and more of the population each year, I honestly can't see Republicans ever taking the WH again.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Revamping.

There are WAY too many people receiving food stamps today. Housing subsidies are another one. There are a lot of people who live their lives without trying to better themselves so as to not lose those .gov subsidies.

We have a system where if they work hard and make more, they really do not gain anything as they lose subsidy dollars as a result.

Food stamps should be a short term program for people, not a for life program.

I agree with this, but doesn't each state have authority to decide who receives food stamps? If that's the case and knowing that some states with the highest percentage of recipients have Republican governors, why don't they make the changes?

Top Bottom