• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ok last time I am going to warn you people of the coming attack!

1. Greta is “taking a break” that’s code for training at the sea turtle base.

2. Attack from the climate change sea turtle riding Vikings is imminent!

3. Main targets are plastic straw factories secondary targets are Jamil, Doggy Daddy and now chipbennett !

4. I warned you all that my informant “Alex Jones” gathered this information from the moon children !

5. I never want to see my INGO buddies to get “put against the wall” by the climate change Vikings. I don’t want “to hold a gun against your head” but the sea turtle riding climate change Vikings will “hold your feet to the fire” !

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

3. Main targets are plastic straw factories secondary targets are Jamil, Doggy Daddy and now chipbennett !

4. I warned you all that my informant “Alex Jones” gathered this information from the moon children !

5. I never want to see my INGO buddies to get “put against the wall” by the climate change Vikings. I don’t want “to hold a gun against your head” but the sea turtle riding climate change Vikings will “hold your feet to the fire” !

Now hold on there! While I still think she's a puppet, and I agree with the "mascot" description, I was also trying to crank down the outrage over the whole "against the wall" thing. I think I ought to be at least third on that list. She's coming for Chip for sure, but I think even jamil has given her comment a solid "meh". :):

I will however, remain vigilant against an attack of sea turtle riding vikings. That ****'s real. :patriot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is implying figurative force. It is a figurative threat of violence. As I asked Acateon: why does the person who is against the wall/cornered have no other choice? Why can the person not simply walk away from the wall/out of the corner?

I am mostly fascinated by the incredible lengths some are going to deny that the words she used mean what they mean. I readily concede that she didn't know the meaning of the words she used. Her ignorance, however, does not absolve her of the ramifications of using the words she chose.

The most productive such ramification would be her taking a (figurative) seat and (literally) shutting up.

Dang. I looked back over the last few pages repeatedly, till I figured out you were talking about the climate change thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is implying figurative force. It is a figurative threat of violence. As I asked Acateon: why does the person who is against the wall/cornered have no other choice? Why can the person not simply walk away from the wall/out of the corner?

I am mostly fascinated by the incredible lengths some are going to deny that the words she used mean what they mean. I readily concede that she didn't know the meaning of the words she used. Her ignorance, however, does not absolve her of the ramifications of using the words she chose.

The most productive such ramification would be her taking a (figurative) seat and (literally) shutting up.

Incredible lengths. :rolleyes:

Well, at least now we're down to "figurative threat of violence" rather than literal violence. So that's an improvement. But now that we're down to just "figurative" why are you still giving a **** if you understand that she's not calling for or threatening actual violence? People use figurative language all the time. Many people have posted examples of figurative language people commonly use without anyone going :runaway: over it! Why should anyone go :runaway: over her silly speech? She isn't saying anything new.

So I'll answer this question: Why does the person whose back is against the wall have no other choice? Well. Rather than any threat of literal violence, that phrase usually means that there are circumstances that the person would rather not face, so they might do the easiest thing which is capitulate. How that translates to what she most likely had in mind, literally, if you don't do what she demands, she will say mean things about you in front of lots of people. She will get the mob-o-purple-haired earth worshipers to say mean things about you too. Maybe if the mob-o-purple-hairs is big enough, they'll try to shame away your political power. Violence? Hardly. That's just another day on Twitter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The last time we had this lively a conversation was when I tried to diffuse a situation by making a joke.

I was accused of cultural appropriation (supposed Ebonics), plagiarism for not attributing a quote to the only person that has ever uttered those words (that he didn't even speak it Ebinically), and totally not feeling the pain of the incident (that I was in no way referring to).

I think another joke is appropriate. I don't even care if you use ebonics. I don't even care if you plagiarize it. Let 'er rip. Are you taking requests? I'm kinda in the mood for one of those x,y,z walks into a bar jokes.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Iron worker walks into a bar, forgot to tie in, plunges 64 stories to his death.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Figurative idioms have literal, historical origins, which may impact the appropriateness of using an idiom in given situations. Consider at least three:

1. Hold one's feet to the fire
    2. Put one up against the wall
    3. Hold a gun to one's head

All could have been used in the situation being discussed. Would all, some, or none have been appropriate if used? Why or why not?

Could it possibly be that the historical origin of two of these idioms refers to execution/murder, and one refers to something far less (torment/torture - injury, but not death)? Could it be that one is regularly still used in the literal sense today, one is still used in the literal sense today - though far less-frequently today, regularly used in the literal sense in our lifetimes - and one has largely not been used in its literal sense for hundreds of years?

Unless you know of people still having their feet held to the fire as a form of torture, that is.

(For all I know, China could still use this and other forms of torture?)

Holding one's feet the the fire, as an idiom for holding someone responsible, has been an accepted part of our lexicon for over half a century. As far as I know, neither of the other two phrases used in the same way idiomatically is now or has ever been similarly accepted.

Okay, but now I'll expect you to :runaway: anytime someone uses any of those phrases.

Seriously though, she did say that she meant it as holding people responsible, but I also think that holding them responsible means mob-shaming. Because it's what they do. It's what she does. Her entire unhinged UN monologue was that. Trying to shame the West for not being even more ape**** than they are about climate change. Yet she doesn't say **** about holding China or India or Russia accountable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again... "accepted", "appropriateness", to who? Why is anyone that considers themselves right-leaning trying to judge how acceptable or appropriate someone else's speech is?

There's a whole thread for that kind of thing.

At least you haven't said "problematic" or "toxic" yet... I hope. :)

I think he's doing a fine job of probematizing her speech. "Problematizing" is a way better word than simply problematic. Because, it's a verb. That makes it better.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think you're onto something.

Do you think she's also enlisting the help of the Gungans?

:nailbite:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Canadia is so nice. :yesway:

Just don't try to waltz through customs. After watching a Border Patrol reality TV show shot up there, they are the model for proper immigration. Coming over for an extended stay? Gotta prove you can support yourself. Only got $1,000 in the bank, no job, and expect to stay for 6 months? Not so fast. Oh, wait. It looks like you planned to work while you were here. Where is your work permit and all the appropriate forms? Didnt apply? Sucks to be you. Go back home and try again. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

They arent as warm and fuzzy as you think.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I only went through customs once.

Returning from Panama the Commander was first, the 1 Sergeant was after him and I was next. The inspector opened the top of each bag, closed it up and passed us on.

As the line got farther along the inspections got much more thorough, to the extent of dumping everything out and making the soldiers repack their duffel bags.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Incredible lengths. :rolleyes:

Well, at least now we're down to "figurative threat of violence" rather than literal violence. So that's an improvement. But now that we're down to just "figurative" why are you still giving a **** if you understand that she's not calling for or threatening actual violence? People use figurative language all the time. Many people have posted examples of figurative language people commonly use without anyone going :runaway: over it! Why should anyone go :runaway: over her silly speech? She isn't saying anything new.

So I'll answer this question: Why does the person whose back is against the wall have no other choice? Well. Rather than any threat of literal violence, that phrase usually means that there are circumstances that the person would rather not face, so they might do the easiest thing which is capitulate. How that translates to what she most likely had in mind, literally, if you don't do what she demands, she will say mean things about you in front of lots of people. She will get the mob-o-purple-haired earth worshipers to say mean things about you too. Maybe if the mob-o-purple-hairs is big enough, they'll try to shame away your political power. Violence? Hardly. That's just another day on Twitter.

So, is this really still a thing?

If someone 'sees the writing on the wall' have they seen the literal moving finger of God writing portents, or does it perhaps mean something else - like the future (at least for that person) seems obvious or pre-ordained?

View attachment 82284 Even Abbie Hoffman would have known what she meant

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, is this really still a thing?

If someone 'sees the writing on the wall' have they seen the literal moving finger of God writing portents, or does it perhaps mean something else - like the future (at least for that person) seems obvious or pre-ordained?

View attachment 82284 Even Abbie Hoffman would have known what she meant

I'm not sure what your point is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom