13775888_1074883752566653_1701011375159290163_n.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

OK, I didn't watch the convention (I work in emergency medicine: If I want to be lied to, I'll just go to work!) But the above leaves me with a question or two, namely,

1) Did Cruz really say that line?
    2) If he did, what does he recommend? It's a given that either Trump or Clinton will be the next resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I don't like that fact, but not liking it doesn't make it untrue. With that in mind, it would be... well, not a wasted vote, exactly, but a vote that says, "I want someone else to decide who goes to Washington and who goes back to New York." with the end result being exactly that. (I am, for the moment, not considering the Electoral College in this discussion.)
    So, either Cruz is saying "I hate Trump, and will vote against him", "I hate Hillary, and will vote against her", or "I hate them both and am letting others decide for me" and since he said "vote your conscience", that implies that you WILL vote, so abstaining is not considered here.

I cannot imagine that someone who considers himself GOP would call for people to vote HRC. I find it equally difficult to believe that Cruz considers Trump to be anything but a RINO.

I think we are all in agreement here that whichever is chosen, this election is a giant poop sandwich, and we all get to chow down for the next 4 years minimum.

Ideally, HRC will have a fatal heart attack in the early morning hours of 11/8/2016. If you want the real ideal situation, so will the entire Electoral College.

"You know, comrades," says Stalin, "that I think in regard to this: I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this — who will count the votes, and how."
    (Source: Vospominaniia Byvshego Sekretaria Stalina
    [ Memoirs of the former secretary of Stalin]

as found on Stalin Quote: 'It Isn't the People Who Vote that Count'

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I didn't watch it either, Bill. But from all the news afterward, I do believe he did say those words. Though he didn't endorse Trump he did congratulate him on his nomination. In a Texas delegate breakfast the next morning, he said that even though he felt because of Trump's personal attacks it would be disingenuous for him to now pretend none of that happened but he also said he'd say or do anything to disparage Trump's campaign. My thoughts are he won't vote for Hillary and my well vote for Trump. Not because Trump is the best person to do the job but because he's a party man and will support the party.

OK, I didn't watch the convention (I work in emergency medicine: If I want to be lied to, I'll just go to work!) But the above leaves me with a question or two, namely,

2) If he did, what does he recommend? It's a given that either Trump or Clinton will be the next resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I don't like that fact, but not liking it doesn't make it untrue. With that in mind, it would be... well, not a wasted vote, exactly, but a vote that says, "I want someone else to decide who goes to Washington and who goes back to New York." with the end result being exactly that. (I am, for the moment, not considering the Electoral College in this discussion.)
    So, either Cruz is saying "I hate Trump, and will vote against him", "I hate Hillary, and will vote against her", or "I hate them both and am letting others decide for me" and since he said "vote your conscience", that implies that you WILL vote, so abstaining is not considered here.

I cannot imagine that someone who considers himself GOP would call for people to vote HRC. I find it equally difficult to believe that Cruz considers Trump to be anything but a RINO.

I think we are all in agreement here that whichever is chosen, this election is a giant poop sandwich, and we all get to chow down for the next 4 years minimum.

Ideally, HRC will have a fatal heart attack in the early morning hours of 11/8/2016. If you want the real ideal situation, so will the entire Electoral College.

"You know, comrades," says Stalin, "that I think in regard to this: I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this — who will count the votes, and how."

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I didn't watch it either, Bill. But from all the news afterward, I do believe he did say those words. Though he didn't endorse Trump he did congratulate him on his nomination. In a Texas delegate breakfast the next morning, he said that even though he felt because of Trump's personal attacks it would be disingenuous for him to now pretend none of that happened but he also said he'd say or do anything to disparage Trump's campaign. My thoughts are he won't vote for Hillary and my well vote for Trump. Not because Trump is the best person to do the job but because he's a party man and will support the party.

Blessings,
    Bill

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bill, I used to like Cruz. I voted for him in the primary.

He promised to endorse Trump if he was the candidate, now he refuses. He was invited to speak at the RNC and could have refused. He went and made a speech that was all in all pretty petty. He spoke to the Texas delegation amd said that he could not let the thimgs in the primary go. I thought he was a bigger man than that.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So is this the quote Hillary will plagiarize in her speech next week?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Blessings,
    Bill

From No Trump endorsement from Cruz: 'Vote your conscience? | TheHill

“To those listening, please, don’t stay home in November,” he said, pausing for cheers from the crowd.

Stand and speak and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution.”

The language, which echoes statements from the Never Trump movement, triggered chants of "Trump" and "We want Trump," as well as boos, from the crowd in Cleveland.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Blessings,
    Bill

https://audioboom.com/boos/4847430-7-21-16-mark-levin-audio-rewind.mp3?source=rss&stitched=1

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yes, he said those words. Actually, if we look at just the content of his speech, and not the not so subtle hints behind it, it was very good. It was very liberty minded. The speech seemed obviously designed to suggest #nevertrumpers vote Libertarian. And Trump knew it. He had a transcript of the speech. I kinda suspect that Trump operatives were on the floor instigating the boos and helping people turn on Cruz, not that they needed all that much help. It seems to me Trump let Cruz make a speech he knew was designed against him and used it to help bring dissenters into the fold. And it seems to have mostly worked.

Bill, I used to like Cruz. I voted for him in the primary.

He promised to endorse Trump if he was the candidate, now he refuses. He was invited to speak at the RNC and could have refused. He went and made a speech that was all in all pretty petty. He spoke to the Texas delegation amd said that he could not let the thimgs in the primary go. I thought he was a bigger man than that.

I did too. I voted for Cruz because he was the least of the two evils. I lost the little bit of respect I had for Cruz over his antics at the convention but not because of the pledge. Trump said he'd violate the pledge if he didn't think he was being treated fairly by the RNC. That was no more a part of the pledge they all signed than Cruz's reasons. But you can believe that the Trumpers who are fuming over Cruz would be quite okay with Trump breaking the pledge. My beef with Cruz is that Trump won the nomination, it's his convention. If he's not going to endorse Trump, stay home. Instead he thought he'd go there and get a few jabs in. As I said above, Trump played that like a fiddle. I think neither acted honorably. Both lose points for how they behaved in my tally.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom