Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Soldiers don't vote for war but when called upon, prosecute it to the fullest.
    Politicians vote for war and afterwards do all to hinder the soldier.

McClellan had the slows, Lincoln suggested sending a case of whiskey to Grant and Sherman received the sobriquet the apostle of modern war.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Probably speaking of Operation Market Garden.

I think the British, Montgomery, wanted that more than Ike. The were going to go no matter what. According to the movie at least any way there was an MI officer who told them the tanks were there and was shut up. Operations always discounts pessimism from Information Gathering ans Analyzing Groups.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Clearly, Ike had political aspirations by January of 1946 when he said that....and he knew that war was not futile.

I will add that a lack of political, and military will to wage total war since WWII has led to the protracted and confusing "wars" we have fought, and never quite finished, since then.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Other Eisenhower quotes:

First, one about the futility of war:
    Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory! Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Second, another about the futility of war.
    The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength — and strength alone.

Third, one that may be appropriate to another discussion on INGO.
    It is unwise to make education too cheap. If everything is provided freely, there is a tendency to put no value on anything. Education must always have a certain price on it; even as the very process of learning itself must always require individual effort and initiative.

Fourth and last, from what I've read on INGO, this should have been a Cruz quote, but no, it was Ike.
    From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city, every village, and every rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Clearly, Ike had political aspirations by January of 1946 when he said that....and he knew that war was not futile.

I will add that a lack of political, and military will to wage total war since WWII has led to the protracted and confusing "wars" we have fought, and never quite finished, since then.

I've been saying that all along about ISIS. If we're gonna do it. Let's full on do it and get it done and stop all the half-assed stuff. If we're not willing to do that we should get the hell out of the ME and STFU. In other words, **** or get off the pot.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

I've been saying that all along about ISIS. If we're gonna do it. Let's full on do it and get it done and stop all the half-assed stuff. If we're not willing to do that we should get the hell out of the ME and STFU. In other words, **** or get off the pot.

"Somewhere along our national journey our political leaders lost the clarity of vision, our military commanders the habits of strategic thought, and our public the determined will to achieve victory."
    - Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016...-america-has-forgotten-how-to-win-at-war.html

Last edited:

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    For some reason I am not seeing any of the pics I have posted here. They are all showing as broken, when they were fine a few hours ago. Can others see them?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom