Oy, veh, GWB converts to INGOtarianism:

27858842_10213060886869569_6147484953302764632_n.jpg

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    It would be better, if they DIDN'T "withhold".
    Every month, you should get a bill. A federal one, a state one, and a local one.
    Make people actually pay them.
    See the weeping then.

People who say this either have too much free time, are trying to increase the size of the government (someone has to send out these bills) or are just trying to prop up the post office. (purple?)

On the other hand, I go through a yearly process of setting up a spreadsheet to see just how much everyone is taking out of my paycheck (including generating the appropriate formulas to deal with federal withholding), but I only do it once a year rather than every month. Drove me crazy last year till I realized that IN taxes went down a little bit.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    People who say this either have too much free time, are trying to increase the size of the government.

Nope, should just be a bill issued with the paycheck. Wouldn't be any different from now except you'd have to cut a check to the gubmint. People would start to notice.

Don't pay your federal bill? Don't get to vote (or access to fed programs). Don't pay your state bill? Revoke your drivers license. etc...people would start to pay more attention I think. As it is now it's just monopoly money.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Meh.
    Most people think the tax refund they get is free money from the government.
    If the new withholding levels result in most people paying rather than getting a refund, it will be proof the "deep state" is working to destroy Trump.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Nope, should just be a bill issued with the paycheck. Wouldn't be any different from now except you'd have to cut a check to the gubmint. People would start to notice.

Don't pay your federal bill? Don't get to vote (or access to fed programs). Don't pay your state bill? Revoke your drivers license. etc...people would start to pay more attention I think. As it is now it's just monopoly money.

Great, six to nine more things to deal with every month. That aside, I think a vast number of people would just set up autopay bringing us back to where we are only with more moving parts and payroll companies would potentially lose customers. It would become just another routine payment, like cable or insurance, that you may not notice creeping up over the years until they screw up and bump it more than $X over the course of Y thereby crossing a threshold that gets it noticed.

I do agree that most people don't notice it and I have a good friend who owns a business who suggests that people should make payments in the same way he does, but the ability of people to normalize such things over time means, to me, that there would be the initial shock and then...it just becomes another thing that you pay for periodically and you don't pay attention to it until it crosses that threshold where you check last month's or last year's payment and wonder why it went up X (which has happened to me, specifically, with insurance, the only difference being I can't shop around for new tax payments and by the time I would notice it, it would possibly be too late already).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Meh.
    Most people think the tax refund they get is free money from the government.

Well, a lot of people do get free money. CTC + EIC == refundable credits.

If the new withholding levels result in most people paying rather than getting a refund, it will be proof the "deep state" is working to destroy Trump.

The IRS is not in the habit of wanting people to have to pay; it cost them money in lost use of those funds during the year and having to get people to pay on time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom