Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I must have missed the "thong" situation. I've seen it referenced a few times on here but I figured it was one of those inside jokes. I had no idea it was an insult of some kind.

Me too. I either missed what led up to it or forgot about it but thought it was one of those perpetual, inside, running jokes.

I first saw it with a reference to Zima. I knew Kut had mentioned when he was young, the first alcoholic beverage he drank was Zima. Of course people are going to joke around about that. I just inferred that the joke evolved to Zima thong parties or something like that.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    DTg9PL3X0AAfyOd.jpg

Attachments

• DTg9PL3X0AAfyOd.jpg
      DTg9PL3X0AAfyOd.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 5

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Only Obama was only capable of getting the golf part right, not the job. Witness the Trump numbers you quote (40% drop in border jumping, stock market up 25%, GDP climbing at 3% etc). What were Obama's numbers, again? Trump paid off any terrorists, yet?

Or pardoned a certain traitor that’s running for a senate seat?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This came into the public light and so I will finish it here as well. Posts after this on this topic can go to private.

Kut, I doubt you will believe me, but I honestly saw your mention in the quoted post of "thong" reference and I really don't recall seeing it before. I can probably do a search, but the point here is that I truly did not and, other than the following posts in the thread, do not know to what you refer. I can infer that it followed the Zima thing, but that is a guess. If I have slighted you in some way, I apologize for doing that. To answer your unasked (to us) question, yes, you should have "kicked it up".

I've been on INGO a long time. I remember when the mod staff didn't exist and I remember when we could all read every post, every day. That day is far in our history, and no, neither I, the other mods, nor all the mods together read every post. We depend on the members to say, "Ummmm.... is this OK? Really?" in post reports, and that's when we go look. I have personally been a bit absent from the site of late as well, for reasons I won't go into.

Nonetheless, this is not a double standard. Posting unpopular opinions with the intent of getting a rise out of people is trolling, and those who hold a majority opinion are technically capable, but unlikely to do so. That's all I meant when I said that majority posters can't troll.

From early on, I did not know your race. When I found out, from your own posting of it, I recall thinking, "How about that?". I won't say it surprised me, but I will say that I was not expecting any statement either way. Until the point was brought up, to me, everyone here is "dddebf" or "d5d6b5" , those being the hex codes for the background, depending on IM or public post. I can never remember which is which. I can guarantee you that if I saw a member using any of several derogatory terms for your race, directed at or about you in particular, that member would be a banned member so fast it would make their head spin, and pretty sure texkev, if he could, would IP-ban that member as well. I know I'd push for that to happen. Oddly enough, only one such pejorative is referred to by its letter, "the N word".

Again, if I have slighted you, I never intended to do so. If you reported insults and nothing happened, I can't answer, as I don't recall it. There was a time when I was in school that my activity here was even more restricted than it is now, and I could very well have totally missed all of those. If I did, I missed a lot more than that.

That you speak your mind is fine. HOW you do so is what has brought this on. My wife once asked me that question every man dreads, "How do I look in this?"

So what do you say? "You look great!" and don't believe it, exposing her to ridicule

or

"You have other things that look better." and earn her ire.

Catch 22, right? Hobson's Choice.

Only it's not. I said, "You make it look wonderful. It doesn't return the favor, though." And she understood, thanked me, and changed, and all was well.

How you say stuff can, as you WELL know from your career, make all the difference.

Peace to you, sir.

Blessings,
    Bill

The bolded part seems to explain the situation, perfectly. I've been here long enough, and endured enough insults, dogpiles, and racial innuendo without staff moderation, that I have come to rely upon myself when it comes to defending my person. I should expect that I am held to the same standard as every other member, but I am not. I got banned once for saying something about minerals. "Minerals." Ha ha ha. But other members have addressed me with profanity, general bad language, and a creative array of insults without so much as second look from moderators.
    The first time, someone made the thong reference, I sat back and wondered "should, I respond, and "kick it up," or should I wait on a moderator to step in." Well, obviously, a moderator didn't step in... they just let it go (or "didn't see it"), as I have come to expect. So I let it go. Now, it's regularly mentioned around the forum; so much in fact, that its no longer bothersome, and not viewed as an insult. But there was a point where it began, and it was initially most certainly viewed as an insult. Where were you the first time it happened? The second time? The third? Where were any of the moderators? I was once called a particularly offense name, and I reported it. I have no idea what happened, but guess what? That same poster, a short time later, used that "particularly" offensive name again... and I reported again, thinking "surely someone will take action this time." I probably shouldn't have been so naive, right?

I understand, that because I often have unpopular opinions, I will catch flack. I have also come to understand that the moderators are flexible with the rules when it comes to members who address me in certain ways. I've accepted that a long time ago. I'll accept a reasonable double standard. What I won't accept is being held to a standard, where moderators allow the flexing of rules for others, while restricting the rules concerning me. My posting habits are within the terms of use, and when I stray to close to the sun, it's because someone else has blatantly exceeded the terms of use. So if you don't want me flying to close to the sun, put your house in order, and moderate... or tell me that I am no longer welcome. I can deal with it, its a dang internet site for crying out loud. I wouldn't get mad or hold it against you. I wouldn't come to the 1500 booth with anything more than smiles, handshakes, funny quips about the irony of me being dismissed from a pro-2A website for speaking my mind. It is what it is, bro.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Everybody makes jokes about how old me and Churchmouse are......At least I think they do...I can't really remember...Did I take my blood pressure medicine today???

Wait a minute...They canceled MATLOCK????? How come I am only getting reruns of Sanford and Son??????

Any how...... Church and I would be offended if we could only remember how....:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom