Not open for further replies.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    95798601_2727714647446433_892739236288004096_n.jpg
    The Bee shouldn’t be giving Google those kind of ideas.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is the exact reason I will never live in a neighborhood controlled Nazi styled H.O.A. that hands out fines if your trash can is not put up by so so time, if your grass is 2/10ths of a inch too long or you have a light burnt out outside that you don't know about and your mailbox is not a pristine gloss black.

I fly a U.S. Flag on a 32 foot pole, a 2nd 20 foot pole that I rotate, IU, Colts and Cubs flags on. I have a Over the Air TV antenna and I also have a full blown weather station that my entire subdivision can go to a web site and see what wind/temp/humidity/UV and rain conditions are here, not 7 miles away @ the NWS.

100+ homes in my sub-division and we all take pride in how they look and how each home is different.

The owner of this boat is a immigrant from Cuban by the name of Carlos Gavidia. He loves our President.
    He had put a Trump flag on his dock and the people across the canal from his house complained to the club. So he hung a Trump banner on his balcony, and they complained to the HOA. Apparently they have a rule that you can't hang political signs on your property. He was told he to take the flag down, then the banner.
    He got so pissed he sent his boat out to get wrapped and officially named the boat "Trump."
    He upgraded his stereo system so he could be heard as well as seen.
    This was a video of him bringing the boat home.

[video=youtube;4OSF5apvB6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSF5apvB6k[/video]

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is the exact reason I will never live in a neighborhood controlled Nazi styled H.O.A. that hands out fines if your trash can is not put up by so so time, if your grass is 2/10ths of a inch too long or you have a light burnt out outside that you don't know about and your mailbox is not a pristine gloss black.

I fly a U.S. Flag on a 32 foot pole, a 2nd 20 foot pole that I rotate, IU, Colts and Cubs flags on. I have a Over the Air TV antenna and I also have a full blown weather station that my entire subdivision can go to a web site and see what wind/temp/humidity/UV and rain conditions are here, not 7 miles away @ the NWS.

100+ homes in my sub-division and we all take pride in how they look and how each home is different.

An HOA can be both good and bad. But when that neighbor moves in, puts goats in the front yard and their climbing area is an old truck, they are worth having. There are almost none that are super strict and those that are likely are not in the budget of most of INGO...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    An HOA can be both good and bad. But when that neighbor moves in, puts goats in the front yard and their climbing area is an old truck, they are worth having. There are almost none that are super strict and those that are likely are not in the budget of most of INGO...

Not sure I agree with that last sentence. There are a lot of "vinyl villages" in the Indy area with really strict HOAs. No way I could live with that. There are zoning ordinances and health codes to deal with the goats in the yard issues. It's bad enough that we have to pay "rent" to the state for OUR property without having to pay dues so that private citizens can tell us what we can and cannot do with our property (within reason - hence the zoning and health code regulations).

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

i always wanted to move in and start a hog farm.....

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not sure I agree with that last sentence. There are a lot of "vinyl villages" in the Indy area with really strict HOAs. No way I could live with that. There are zoning ordinances and health codes to deal with the goats in the yard issues. It's bad enough that we have to pay "rent" to the state for OUR property without having to pay dues so that private citizens can tell us what we can and cannot do with our property (within reason - hence the zoning and health code regulations).

And specifically what is it that they are too strict on? It is impossible to get the city enforce many of their own laws. Just what do you want to do on a .18 lot that the covenants would not allow?

BTW, many folks look at the HOA the wrong way, always focusing on what they perceive as limitations on them and not what it really is, a legal agreement between neighbors on how they are going to live together. Apparently you may not want to make that agreement and will have to live without it and put up with the crazy stuff your neighbors might do. Do you really want to own a house 10-25 feet from your neighbors that paint it black with green trim and red roof, then find out no one will give you a fair price because no one wants to live next to them? Seen that type of thing happen...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And specifically what is it that they are too strict on? It is impossible to get the city enforce many of their own laws. Just what do you want to do on a .18 lot that the covenants would not allow?

BTW, many folks look at the HOA the wrong way, always focusing on what they perceive as limitations on them and not what it really is, a legal agreement between neighbors on how they are going to live together. Apparently you may not want to make that agreement and will have to live without it and put up with the crazy stuff your neighbors might do. Do you really want to own a house 10-25 feet from your neighbors that paint it black with green trim and red roof, then find out no one will give you a fair price because no one wants to live next to them? Seen that type of thing happen...
    Silly piddly stuff... your chain link fence must be black, vinyl coated. Your house trim must be on the approved list, etc... Your garden shed (if allowed at all) must match your house exactly... stuff like that. Dad built our house when it was one of the first on our street in 1952. I have just under an acre. When it was built, it was nothing but farm fields behind it. Thankfully it doesn't really lend itself to a HOA, but nobody has done anything crazy, other than a former nextdoor neighbor that had about 10 cars, only one of which was running at one time, and only cut his grass about 2 or 3 times a year.

He was forced out, not just by neighbor complaints to city/health officials but also because he defaulted on his mortgage. The house (before he moved in) used to be a showcase home for the neighborhood, both inside and out. When he moved out, it was full of black mold and garbage. Thankfully a good family moved in. They had to pay cash because no mortgage company or bank would loan money on the property in the condition in which it was left.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

There are plenty of super strict HOA's within a majority of INGO'ers budgets. Too many horror stories. I have friend who is moving right now because of her HOA. Most of the homes where she lives have driveways barely big enough for two cars, have multiple friends over and have to park a car on the street and expect a notice. Get off work late and it's raining and have to go to work early the next morning. Expect a notice that you have 24 hours to mow or face a fine. Put a Blue light on your front porch to support LEO's, get a notice to replace or get fined. Heaven forbid if you put a U.S. Flag attached to your front porch or install a flag pole.

Heck my sub-division had a HOA when it was built in 1987-88, it was dissolved by 1995 (9 yrs B4 moving here) because of 5 people trying to control a entire neighborhood. The silly :poop: that was happening here according to my neighbor's was ridiculously stupid.

I was not a fan of my neighbor putting a chicken coop in his back yard next to my fence and them coming into my yard. I politely asked for him to put up some chicken wire to keep them contained or I was going to be eating a LOT of fried chicken, he laughed. Coyotes took care of that problem two days later, I was bummed wanted, some homemade KFC. That was 3 years ago, he's still dealing with the financial loss and the traumatization his wife had walking into a coop of slaughted hens.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you live that close to other people you’re probably just doing it wrong. Just saying. When your neighbor is half a mile away you don’t really care if they have goats or a chicken coop or whatever.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There are plenty of super strict HOA's within a majority of INGO'ers budgets. Too many horror stories. I have friend who is moving right now because of her HOA. Most of the homes where she lives have driveways barely big enough for two cars, have multiple friends over and have to park a car on the street and expect a notice. Get off work late and it's raining and have to go to work early the next morning. Expect a notice that you have 24 hours to mow or face a fine. Put a Blue light on your front porch to support LEO's, get a notice to replace or get fined. Heaven forbid if you put a U.S. Flag attached to your front porch or install a flag pole.

Heck my sub-division had a HOA when it was built in 1987-88, it was dissolved by 1995 (9 yrs B4 moving here) because of 5 people trying to control a entire neighborhood. The silly :poop: that was happening here according to my neighbor's was ridiculously stupid.

I was not a fan of my neighbor putting a chicken coop in his back yard next to my fence and them coming into my yard. I politely asked for him to put up some chicken wire to keep them contained or I was going to be eating a LOT of fried chicken, he laughed. Coyotes took care of that problem two days later, I was bummed wanted, some homemade KFC. That was 3 years ago, he's still dealing with the financial loss and the traumatization his wife had walking into a coop of slaughted hens.

The horror stories are not caused by the covenants and the HOA they create, it is the fault of buyers not understanding the covenants they are agreeing to by buying there. I'm out of this topic in this thread. Post a new one if anyone wants to discuss...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom