• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I find it greatly disrespectful to the audience, it's as if the speaker is mocking them or using cornpone to talk down to the audience.

That's not it at all. If anything it's about being comfortable, in most cases.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I did, and I can decidedly agree that is not Obama. The problem? Those clips have absolutely nothing to do with "Ebonics." The vernacular he was using is common to both black and white in the south. So is it still "Ebonics" if white people speak it too?

(Come on down to Enterprise, AL, we all speak that way)

Not everybody does; quite a few transplants from other parts of the nation down at the Home of Army Aviation.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't get this part.

Me either. I generally avoid people I despise, and don't talk to them if I can help it.

Have you ever heard someone put on a fake italian accent or talk like they watch too many Sapranos episodes? I've called people out on that sort of thing, it gets funny.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    To each his own, I find it annoying.

Maybe it's something you've never experienced because you haven't had to? I know plenty of people from various cultural backgrounds who feel very comfortable speaking in an "acceptable" fashion when at work, school, etc. However, when they are at home, around their family and friends, they may say, "Gimme those..." or "Whatcha' doin'?" or something similar. Would this happen at work? I doubt it, because it's known that would not be acceptable.

I don't know this, but you probably grew up in a home and associated with people who used proper and acceptable language at all times, but some have not. They learned to speak well in school and even though they retained the ability, never spoke like that at home. So, in places where one feels comfortable, he may say something that is not acceptable and realizes he has once the criticism begins.

I usually don't make these comparisons, but I liken it to the way Bush would allow his southern drawl to become more prominent in some of his appearances, but when he was meeting with foreign dignitaries or giving speeches, it would be become less noticeable (please note, I didn't say totally undetectable). He just simply felt more comfortable during those times.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Me either. I generally avoid people I despise, and don't talk to them if I can help it.

Have you ever heard someone put on a fake italian accent or talk like they watch too many Sapranos episodes? I've called people out on that sort of thing, it gets funny.

Oh, OK. I don't think this is the same thing, but I see what you mean. :yesway:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Maybe it's something you've never experienced because you haven't had to? I know plenty of people from various cultural backgrounds who feel very comfortable speaking in an "acceptable" fashion when at work, school, etc. However, when they are at home, around their family and friends, they may say, "Gimme those..." or "Whatcha' doin'?" or something similar. Would this happen at work? I doubt it, because it's known that would not be acceptable.

I don't know this, but you probably grew up in a home and associated with people who used proper and acceptable language at all times, but some have not. They learned to speak well in school and even though they retained the ability, never spoke like that at home. So, in places where one feels comfortable, he may say something that is not acceptable and realizes he has once the criticism begins.

I usually don't make these comparisons, but I liken it to the way Bush would allow his southern drawn to become more prominent in some of his appearances, but when he was meeting with foreign dignitaries or giving speeches, it would be become less noticeable (please note, I didn't say totally undetectable). He just simply felt more comfortable during those times.

This ^^^^^ sums it up perfectly

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not everybody does; quite a few transplants from other parts of the nation down at the Home of Army Aviation.

Plenty, but they adopt bits and pieces of the way we talk. And if they stay, and many do, their children end up talking just like us.
    (I always thought it was funny to see Koreans and Filipinos talking with a drawl.)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I usually don't make these comparisons, but I liken it to the way Bush would allow his southern drawl to become more prominent in some of his appearances, but when he was meeting with foreign dignitaries or giving speeches, it would be become less noticeable (please note, I didn't say totally undetectable). He just simply felt more comfortable during those times.
    And Bush is from New England. Went to Harvard and Yale.

Then he puts on his cowboy hat comes out and says YEEHAW for his adoring fans. :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Plenty, but they adopt bits and pieces of the way we talk. And if they stay, and many do, their children end up talking just like us.
    (I always thought it was funny to see Koreans and Filipinos talking with a drawl.)

A little off topic. I read in a paper awhile back where a father asked why he could speak fluent French but couldn't get rid of his American accent while his children could. The Dr. said that our vocal cords harden about the age of 10 so that you can't learn new accents so to speak.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't get this part.

Why would you want to make yourself or them comfortable if you despise them?

I find it greatly disrespectful to the audience, it's as if the speaker is mocking them or using cornpone to talk down to the audience.

It depends, are you talking about giving a speech in front of people, or engaging in conversation? If your talking about giving a speech I agree with you a good bit. But not always, some people simply revert to a more relaxed attitude of speaking with people they are comfortable with. Whether that is with a more relaxed form of speech or with reverting to accents.

I've noticed myself doing it, and it wasn't mocking. And it's not always talking down. I've been in conversations with people that use proper English or a more formal mode of speech, and have noticed that my speech improves over it's norm. And that has been in face to face convos or even sometimes in text.

I do also, but sometimes it's almost impossible. Work for instance, I've had co-workers and customers I've despised and I've had to work and converse with them. Sometimes I've even had to be "friendly" about it. While I could of quit, there has been some I've despised/disliked and just about every job I've had.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Linguists call it "accomodation". It's more prevalent in conversation with people you like or are trying to impress. Not so much with those you despise.:dunno:
    I don't get this part.

Where did I say I despised anyone?

You never did, and I wasn't trying to imply that you did. I apologize if you took it that way.

I was just trying to explain my reasoning on why that would be. I think that if you despise someone you would be more inclined, subconsciously at least, to make them uncomfortable instead of comfortable and/or yourself comfortable with them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    come on Que, you know you despise "them" :D

jake

:rofl:

You never did, and I wasn't trying to imply that you did. I apologize if you took it that way.

I was just trying to explain my reasoning on why that would be. I think that if you despise someone you would be more inclined, subconsciously at least, to make them uncomfortable instead of comfortable and/or yourself comfortable with them.

Yeah, I was going to inquire about that upthread, but neglected to do so. I get what you're saying.

Top Bottom