• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyersgold

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Otterbein
    Oh please, get a polishing kit from Sears, a 8-9" cloth wheel and the right polish and it is a breeze. Stainless polish or some ebony and it will look great. Just keep it moving as not to burn it.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sanding sticks would be the only way to go... a polishing wheel would be hard to keep it from rounding off corners and getting it into where you want it... and a dremel will do nothing but dish out the metal and make it that much harder for somone like nash gunwerx ( Welcome to Nash Gunwerx) or myself to polish the slide later.... i think the way i would tackle this is a large piece of slate with varying grits of sandpaper and run the slide accross it... this will help keep nice crisp clean edges and wont dish anything out... then i would move to my hand made sanding sticks for the areas that are already dished out.. the hard part will be getting the color out of the stampings, which some sort of very very harsh chemical would probably have to be used.... feel free to pm me if you have anymore questions about this.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Oh please, get a polishing kit from Sears, a 8-9" cloth wheel and the right polish and it is a breeze. Stainless polish or some ebony and it will look great. Just keep it moving as not to burn it.

:eek:

Sorry... I will now attempt to get my head out of the gutter.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks everyone for the great responses and advice...

I think I will just leave well enough alone at this point and have it refinished when I can afford it...

What effect are you looking for on the slide? Shiny or just a different color?

I was going for a shiny look, against the black, kinda like this Sig Equinox:

Equinox-1.jpg

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    In your shoes I would use a piece of 1500 grit wet sand paper on a flat surface. Keep it wet and use a little soap and make sure you're holding the slide flat against the paper. Once you take a couple of passes with the sand paper you can decide to either go up to 2000 or down to 1000 depending on how rough the surface is. What is most important is that you keep the slide flat against the paper. You don't want to round any edges. I would work my way up through the grades of sandpaper and finish with 2000 then some polishing compound on a rag. Its impossible to get a nice even finish with a dremel polishing wheel.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    i really dont think it looks that bad, your just not quite done with it. I would say to wet sand as well, with very fine grit stuff. I think your almost there!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the great responses and advice...

I think I will just leave well enough alone at this point and have it refinished when I can afford it...

I was going for a shiny look, against the black, kinda like this Sig Equinox:

Equinox-1.jpg

Ooooh... A great opportunity to show off my 226 Equinox...

2226side2.jpg

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Been there and done that. Did mine with a dremel as well. Turned out too good almost as I could barely see the sights in bright sunlight. Luckily the buyer I sold it to loved it. Next time around I bought the bi-tone.

ef15053e.jpg

c480b72d.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Been there and done that. Did mine with a dremel as well. Turned out too good almost as I could barely see the sights in bright sunlight. Luckily the buyer I sold it to loved it. Next time around I bought the bi-tone.

ef15053e.jpg

c480b72d.jpg

The bolded above is why I wanted the top to stay black.

Thanks for the pics, you have given me a little hope, lol.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    In your shoes I would use a piece of 1500 grit wet sand paper on a flat surface. Keep it wet and use a little soap and make sure you're holding the slide flat against the paper. Once you take a couple of passes with the sand paper you can decide to either go up to 2000 or down to 1000 depending on how rough the surface is. What is most important is that you keep the slide flat against the paper. You don't want to round any edges. I would work my way up through the grades of sandpaper and finish with 2000 then some polishing compound on a rag. Its impossible to get a nice even finish with a dremel polishing wheel.

This is exactly how it is done. and exactly why you dont want to use a sanding sponge.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

OK, say I get the guts to do this..lol

I know I want to go in one direction, but do you run the slide in just one direction ONLY, ie: forward, lift, forward, lift, forward etc? or do you do it in one direction, but back and forth?

Does that make sense?

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Start with a DRAW FILE to remove finish and remove any pitts,you can get them from BROWNELLS. Next find a piece of PLATE glass, spread on thinned compound and work the sides around the glass. This is how we restore and true-up old stanley wood planes with metal frames.
    When glass is made it always self levels. Just be sure its plate glass.

SELF polishing will not make you blind.However after 30mins your 45 may turn in to a 45-110.

Top Bottom