• ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    DONT! lol

Unless you are actually handy with tools, or "crafty".

Here's my story, it's sad, but true...
    I had read here and there about people polishing their black slides themselves to give their pistol a unique appearance, without the cost of pro refinishing.
    So....I think to myself...
    "Self! You can do this!"

Self was WRONG. ugh

I was going for the Sig Equinox kind of look. Black slide, polished on the side of the slide only...yeah, not so much. It looks awful! It's uneven, and you can see the polishing marks, and the more I tried to even it out, the worse it got. So, lessen learned. I am NOT "handy" or "crafty" it seems! lol

My wife said, ".. it's a carry gun, as long as you didn't affect it mechanically, who cares?"

Well, I care, so, when I can afford it after my tax refund, one of the nice INGO sponsors that does refinishing is getting my slide so it can get done right!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You're a brave man! LOL

I did some polishing on my LCP and M&P but only the feed ramps. I am pretty handy with this kind of stuff but I would be scared to death to attempt polishing the slide exterior. That's for the pro's.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Opened up INGO and immediately saw the title. Thought to myself, where is this going?:D

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I polished a barrel on an XDsc and it was a lot harder than I thought it would be.
    I have been kicking around the idea to do my LCP because of the cheap finish and constant rust battle. But after reading your post I believe I will just keep oiling.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Fine, make me share my pain/stupidity, lol.

4186911038_97d9fc663d_o.jpg

4186150647_b2ced463de_o.jpg

My cell phone camera is so crappy, it actually doesn't look so bad in these pics, lol.

In the 2nd pic you can see a little bit of the unevenness near the front of the slide...

Bastispah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Morristown IN
    this will make you feel better. when i first purchased my walther P22. I tore it down to clean it-ALL THE WAY! So to make a long story short i sent a bag of parts back to Walther USA. They were kind enough to reassemble it for me. Not only did i feel dumb, i was without my new toy for 2 weeks. We all have dumbass attacks :)

i wonder if car polish would help, or rubbing compound, just throwing out an idea, good luck man

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    this will make you feel better. when i first purchased my walther P22. I tore it down to clean it-ALL THE WAY! So to make a long story short i sent a bag of parts back to Walther USA. They were kind enough to reassemble it for me. Not only did i feel dumb, i was without my new toy for 2 weeks. We all have dumbass attacks :)

i wonder if car polish would help, or rubbing compound, just throwing out an idea, good luck man

Thanks for making me feel better! :D

I tried a polishing compound already.
    I think if you keep trying, you might get it to look pretty good.

Persistence pays off. ;)

I think the problem is that I am using a Dremel, and the cloth polishing wheels are too narrow, maybe? I could probably fix it easier if I had an actual polisher. The wider wheels would cover more are, instead of leaving little narrow marks....:dunno:

Think I am to the point where I can't make it any worse so I should keep trying? lol

Jbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Put the dremel down and find yourself a diamond impregnated sponge. Keep the motion all front to back, and take your time. I found mine at a gun show, and paid 8.00 for it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Can't polishing your own slide make you go blind? :dunno:

Bazooka Joe claims it won't, despite what mom and dad always said!

IndyRoadie...I have a bench top grinder with a polishing wheel and compound. I've used it to polish a variety of things, including an old nickel plated .22 revolver. You're welcome to it if you're every down my way in Seymour. I'm 10 minutes off I-65.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    You just need to spend more time on it.

I cant tell from those pictures what you've done so far.

You'll probably need to start over again with a lower grit sandpaper, and work your way up to 2000 or so. THEN you can polish with the dremel.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about your problem, that sucks. On the bright side you have a nice gun there! Once you get the finish all taken care of it will be all good. Trying to be positive here. I know what you are saying though, I always see pics of people that do it themselves and it always seems like it turns out great. Thanks for the thread to remind us that not all do it yourself projects go the way we want. If you prevent at least one other person from making the same mistake than you at least did a good deed! Good luck and let us know when it is all done.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with those above, you're just not done yet.

Dremel probably wasn't the tool for the job in the first place. Just ask most gunsmiths, dremels often bring them more business than faulty guns.

I would contact NashGunWerks or IndyGunWorks. Both nice fellows that will likely give good advice and, or finish it up for you.

meyersgold

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Otterbein
    Oh please, get a polishing kit from Sears, a 8-9" cloth wheel and the rightpolish and it is a breeze. Stainless polish or some ebony and it will look great. Just keep it moving as not to burn it.

Top Bottom