Police pull you over and you have a gun in the vehicle..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been off for a few days. I'm not sure about the traffic stop. Was the stop for speeding?

Nope! The guy said I was swerving a lot, and I think it was one of the nights when every LEO in the area was out trying to get drunk drivers. No worries there, because I don't drink. The primary reason why I "swerve" is because I am a crappy driver. :D

The funny part is that the decal on my license plate was expired. The officer learned over the radio that the registration fees had been paid. Here's the deal: it had arrived in the mail, but my mom put it on her desk and didn't tell me because it said "06" on it and it wasn't 2006 yet, so she decided I didn't need it. :lmfao:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Nope! The guy said I was swerving a lot, and I think it was one of the nights when every LEO in the area was out trying to get drunk drivers. No worries there, because I don't drink. The primary reason why I "swerve" is because I am a crappy driver. :D

The funny part is that the decal on my license plate was expired. The officer learned over the radio that the registration fees had been paid. Here's the deal: it had arrived in the mail, but my mom put it on her desk and didn't tell me because it said "06" on it and it wasn't 2006 yet, so she decided I didn't need it. :lmfao:

hahaha, I had something similar happen before. While I was in high school, I tried to get my dad to change registration from one vehicle to the other, and I went 2 weeks before a bored officer ran my plate on a blue bmw and it came back to a red s10.....that was an embarrassing moment:n00b:

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I'm in on this late, and perhaps I'm being naive, but if you don't do anything to get pulled over, this entire conversation is moot.

I've received 1 speeding ticket since 1978; 30 in a 25 on Hanna Ave, (Univ of Indianapolis' speed trap). Pulled over one other time for a burnt out headlight in 2005. No ticket. I've been an OTR trucker and courier - I've driven a sh*tload of miles all over the US.

I start FTO within the next week or so, and maybe my views might change upon becoming a 'real' cop. I can state with certainty that I won't be one of those who field-strip and unload mags (unless it's a punk kid like Rhino).

I may ask if the person has anything on them that could hurt me or them and go from there.

At the City-County Building, I use a lot of humor to set people at ease, and that might carry over to the Reserve gig.

Cripes, if I had ever got pulled over whilst driving the "War Wagon" to the range on weekends, someone's eyes would have bugged outta their skull - guns, ammo, tools, all kinds of crap. :runaway:

Sorry for the ramble.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I may ask if the person has anything on them that could hurt me or them and go from there.

I tend to see asking if someone is armed in the same mind as gun bans.

If you ask a law abiding gun holder, he will tell you the truth, but you didn't have to worry about them anyway.

A criminal will just lie.

What's the point?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)

brainslushy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Warrick County
    Sorry for the late response. Thread is kind of old now.

Just for the record,

No - your LTC is not indexed in a state database that is readily available to LEO's. When a LEO checks your driver's license he/she only gets a return from the BMV indicating your name, address, etc, license status, previous motor vehicle convictions, that kind of stuff.

By default an inquiry into someone's driver's license also checks the name against the state's automated databse (known as IDACS) and the federal database(s) known as NCIC. These databases are mainly used to indicate wanted or missing status, but may also indicate other flags such as: registered sex offender, active protection orders, people of interest to various federal agencies, etc

The LEO's local agency will also usually perform a "local" wanted check and wll check the name in their own "in-house" databse for any relevant information. Some of the bigger cities do not enter their misdemeanor warrants into the state IDACS system and only keep them on file in their "local" system. This also goes for "officer safety alerts" or various other alerts that can be entered on individuals to flag a special status such as "Mental / Emotionally Disturbed, Banned from Property / Trespassed, and even LTC status."

Your LtC is almost always indicated in your local LE jurisdictions in-house databse system and if you're pulled over in that jurisdiction they'll likely know you have one.

FWIW, the state's BMV database system (known as STARS) attempted to cross-reference information with ISP's firearms section datase last year to display LTC status of individual on routine driver's license inquiries. They couldn't get it to work. The STARS system has been plagued by issues since its inception three years ago. Supposedly, the state is still working to try to get LTC status to be returned with your driver's license though. I don't see it happening this year, but possibly next.

...but there are other states around us that do return this information when we inquire on driver's license status. I think Tennessee is one of them for example.

Anyway...I hope that sheds some light on the issue.

PS - No, I'm not a sworn LEO. But I do get paid to tell them where to go and what to do.

brainslushy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Warrick County
    I take it back....

....just looking around the new(er) state system tonight at work (called OMNIXX) and noticed that you can in fact do an inquiry on on a License to Carry Handgun.

Which means, yes...a LEO can specifically ask dispatch to check your LtCH status by either checking the License #, your SSN, or your Name and DOB.

yay, cake?

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    But, the LTCH doesn't just show up automatically? Would most LEO ask this additional question?

I know my LTCH will show up in the county I live in. But, someone from a neighboring county will not show up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It would be interesting to see how a SSN search correlates to all of that. I never have provided my SSN for a LTCH application, nor much of anything else. It's probably still tied to driver's licenses from when they used to require it.

Top Bottom