Police pull you over and you have a gun in the vehicle..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I will post a short story from my experience with some local LEO (SS of Indy). To me they blew it way out of context, with that said here is the story.

"Well after my little run in with the IPD and being blamed for fighting it pretty much went down hill for street racing. Right before calling it a night we thought we'd make one last pass when we passed a few people getting on 465 down from Thompson Rd. It was almost as if we had struck an oil field. I'm sure some that you've seen these guys before.
    icon_twisted.gif

Absolutely, nasty cars. And some real nice guys.
    thumb.gif

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Cobra-Vs-C6_155918.htm

EDIT: For the whole story on the IPD

The deal was, I just had pulled into Boston Market (across from Burlington Coat Factory on 31) and thought I'd see who all was over there that I knew. Made a pass through and decided to go on out and make some videos, WRONG ! Pulled up to the light and signaled and got swarmed by cop cars like they were roaches in a trash bin. I figured that they would drive around and go chase someone down instead the cop walks up to the car and asks for my license and if I had been in a fight. I answered No, and informed him I just had pulled into the lot. I then advised him that I did have a handun ALONG with a permit (And I quote "I was told that I am to inform an officer when pulled over that there is a handgun in the car and that I have a permit for the weapon") so the other 100 officers asked my passenger to step out of the car and she reach in and got the handgun in my console along with my extra clip (I replied with respect through out all this btw). She then followed to ask me what I was doing with a Ski mask,gloves and a screw driver, 1 1/4 wrench. I chuckled and explained that I just replaced my wheel bearing Friday and hadn't put all my tools up, truth is the wrench is my Bit*h be good tool, and I always keep tools in my truck as I have sh!t luck and have a DSM in my garage. The screw driver is used to recline my seat (Jimmy/Blazers have faulty recliner assemblies). At this point my passenger chuckles and says "This is ridiculous" the butch of a cop then handcuffs him with her pannnnk (pink) handcuffs and tells him that this way she knows she's in control, the other lady officer says "Boy you must like him huh?" I never raised my voice during all this as I knew in the end it would be taken care of. So after 30 mins/1 hour they return my gun unloaded, zip-tied, EVERY damn bullet from the clips removed! I should have showed him how to do a field breakdown of it. They then tell us Thanks for your cooperation and you guys have a good night. I'm just glad he didn't see me lay my camera in the back seat with all the footage of the Street Racing.

Sorry it was so long, I didn't want to leave any room for open ends. I'm 22 and have never been in any trouble with the law and so it did catch me off guard a little."

A guy asked "Why the ski-mask was in the car" my response was:

As I pointed out to the officer(s) it was 39 degrees when I had been pulled over(?) and I had changed my wheel bearings the day before. 35-40 degrees, wind in the face, sitting on cold ground because of a lack of a garage. Anyone see where I'm going with this?
    icon_lol.gif

I keep a winter hat and gloves and a damn ice scrapper in my car year around. Also a set of tools.

I believe that Polish made a post awhile back over a crack head stealing his spark plugs off a bike. To me it's a similar explanation; Just because of unusual circumstances he was forced to carry a spare spark plug, does this make him a crack head? No but if cops were aware of this and the bike was searched then would they accuse him of it? I just took it personal when I shouldn't have is all. Reason being is I'm not a thief and that just rubbed me the wrong way.

And I think I'll try the other approach next time I get pulled over. It did **** me off that they made such a huge deal over nothing.

Another guy had in a summed up sentence said if they dont ask dont tell.

My response was:

Agreed, the cops were looking for someone that fit the description of my vehicle and then when they seen all the stuff they went into "He's a no good P.O.S." mode. Once they seen everything was legit they were fine with it. But it just caused alot of ******** for no reason on my part. I have always let the officer know that I carried a knife, as I've always carried/collected them anyways. As far as the gun goes, I usually keep it on my side or back with a in pants holster. I just so happened to keep it in my console (armrest) that night. It's like telling a girl you love her on the first date, **** just got weird afterwards ya know?

Sorry for the long post

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    ...and if I had been in a fight. I answered No, and informed him I just had pulled into the lot.

...She then followed to ask me what I was doing with a Ski mask,gloves and a screw driver, 1 1/4 wrench.

...At this point my passenger chuckles and says "This is ridiculous"

...the other lady officer says "Boy you must like him huh?"

I'm just glad he didn't see me lay my camera in the back seat with all the footage of the Street Racing.

And I think I'll try the other approach next time I get pulled over.
    Man, oh man.
    You need to take a few minutes and watch:
    Don't Talk to the Police- Prof. James Duane

and also:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA&feature=related"]YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters[/ame]

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was in a Gunsite class this weekend, and with it being taught by a Sheriff- this question came up, as it usually does.
    With the three instructors and several students being LEOs, that allowed opinions from several who have made a lot of traffic stops.
    Mostly, their feeling was that if you are stopped and have your gun, THEY would like to be told. They were "gun guys" and would not get shaken up about it, and would rather be warned than be surprised by it.
    HOWEVER, each said they knew plenty of officers who...um...would get pretty "excited" at the news. One 33-year LE veteran basically said that was why he would NOT volunteer that info.

Nothing they said changed my mind. I'm staying with not telling unless asked. I think the risk of getting someone overly excited is too great to go that way. (Example follows)

Or, you can avoid potential problems by 1) keeping it concealed, 2) not mentioning it, and 3) just dealing with the traffic stop in a courteous manner because whether or not you are armed is no one's business but yours.

Rhino, you might enjoy this.
    I think it's an example of the panic you might cause by telling them.

Rhino's advice always worked for me until I got pulled over on the way to a 3-gun match at Wildcat last year.
    I had grabbed a second mag pouch on the way out the door and snapped it on my belt since it was the easiest way to carry it...but it was quickly forgotten...and didn't conceal well when I leaned over.
    So naturally when I leaned over to the glove comp't for my registration, it showed from beneath my shirt.

"Sir, um, do you have a gun?"
    "Why yes. Yes I do."
    And down it spiraled from there.

Next, I was standing alongside a busy street of a town that shall remain nameless (Brownsburg) with a medical facility on one side and houses on the other as Mr Officer pulled, tugged, and finally yanked on the slide of my HiPower (whose safety was engaged, locking the slide closed) to unload it "just for my safety". I'm glad he felt like he was making himself safer in this little exercise because the muzzle swept across me and the neighborhood with each yank on the slide. I couldn't see his trigger finger from my angle and didn't want to look. I think he, I, and the whole area, was a lot safer when I was sitting in the van with the gun safely in the holster, but I guess that's my opinion.

There is more, but I'll be kind and stop now because he was rather new (he had a tag above his badge saying "Service since 2007") and had apparently not been trained on this.
    That's not his fault.
    He had to improvise in what was a nervous situation for him and did the best he could.
    I can hope that it made him look further into what to do in that same situation in the future.

But it reinforced my decision that if I get pulled over again, I will keep quiet unless asked just like I always have. At best, he will never know. At worst, well, it can't be much worse than what was happening right then.

I was on the way to a 3-gun match, remember? I always take a spare for each gun in case of breakdowns. Plus, I tossed in an AK because it was probably going to rain all over us and I'd rather do that to a $300 AK than an $1800 AR. Therefore, I had five cased long guns in the back and a couple more handguns.
    So as he struggled with the HiPower, I was thinking about going through this at least seven more times.
    Luckily, when he thought to ask: "You don't have any more guns do you?" and I answered "Why, yes I do!" he had a look of a Dad who had stayed up all night Christmas Eve assembling a bicycle and finally got it done about 5 AM...only to find three more in boxes behind the tree. He completely lost interest, gave me my gun back, said "go on", and sent me on my way.

One more quick story from one of the LEOs in this weekend's class:
    He stopped a guy who, as it turned out, was coming back from Atterbury where he had shot his new SA 1911. The guy in the car decided to unload his 1911 to show the officer it was clear.
    Well, I suppose that's a good intention, but don't do that while the officer is approaching the car. All the officer saw/heard was a guy racking the slide on a pistol as he got close.
    Leave the gun where it is, and in the condition it's in.

Last edited:

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    One more quick story from one of the LEOs in this weekend's class:
    He stopped a guy who, as it turned out, was coming back from Atterbury where he had shot his new SA 1911. The guy in the car decided to unload his 1911 to show the officer it was clear.
    Well, I suppose that's a good intention, but don't do that while the officer is approaching the car. All the officer saw/heard was a guy racking the slide on a pistol as he got close.
    Leave the gun where it is, and in the condition it's in.

Wow, could there possible be a worse thing to do? Darwin almost prevailed in that one.

-----------

If pulled over I'd probably kindly inform the officer that I was carrying.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    After speaking with several State Troopers about this, I have come to this conclusion.

-My side arm is either on my hip, glove box, or under the front seat.
    -My CCW Permit and Drivers License are in my pocket.
    -When being pulled over, the vehicle should be shut off and your hands on top of the steering wheel

When the officer asks you for license and registration hand the officer these three things:

-Drivers Lincense
    -CCW Permit
    -Vehicle Registration

Return your hands to the top of the steering wheel.

Then let the officer proceed how they want to handle the situation.

Typically it will go something like...

"I noticed you have a CCW permit. Do you have a weapon in the vehicle?"

"Yes I do officer."

"Where is the weapon located at?"

*DO NOT REACH OR POINT WHERE THE WEAPON IS AT*

"Its in/under/on my/the __________________ officer."

From there the officer will direct you what to do.

At no point should you EVER REACH OR POINT where the side arm is.

Trust me.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I will say this...in 32 years of driving I have been pulled over 20 some times. I have received 1 speeding ticket by IPD, the officer never asked and I never told that I was carrying a weapon. I was also stopped once by Westfield and once by Fishers, both of which asked if I was carrying a weapon. I told them yes and they asked for my license and permit. Came back and said thanks for being honest about the gun, slow down and have a nice day. I just let the officer set the agenda on whether they want to know or not.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Last time was last summer. I got stopped by an IMPD traffic officer on High School Road just South of 38th street for going 42 in a 35. At the time I was on my way to the range and I had more $$ in tax stamps with me than most people's guns are worth. He aproached my truck and I told him,with both hands still on the wheel, that I had "lots of firearms" in the vehicle. He said "that's great, now gimme your license". I did, and he came back, handed me a ticket, and did not utter one single other word.

Now that sh*t is funny. You must be really unlucky to have been pulled over that many times for going less than 10 over AND still getting a ticket each time. Either that or the LEOs in your area are particularly bored.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Now that sh*t is funny. You must be really unlucky to have been pulled over that many times for going less than 10 over AND still getting a ticket each time. Either that or the LEOs in your area are particularly bored.

by that post it sounded like it, my friend got stopped in northern madison county with a pump 12ga, M44, 22wmr pistol, a 9mm, and a 45....lol

he informed the deputy and they just asked what he was doing with everything....:lmfao:

the deputy just told him to slow down, never ran his license....

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hey, I drive through Spencer a lot, hate to say I hope I never meet you but, um, I hope I never meet you! :thumbsup: On duty anyway.

I am at a little over 11 years without being pulled over and sure hope to keep up the streak.

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Hey, I drive through Spencer a lot, hate to say I hope I never meet you but, um, I hope I never meet you! :thumbsup: On duty anyway.

I am at a little over 11 years without being pulled over and sure hope to keep up the streak.
    Maybe if we do meet there won't be a ticket involved. Most of the guys in spencer are fair on speed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom