• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    They insulted you because you generalize.

Well, in his defense (& I'm really not sure why I'm defending him now but anyway...) he didn't start out GENERALIZING.

He started out using words like "a lot", "these cops" (you know, the ones on the video...), etc.

He even said "not all cops are bad".

I will grant you that he went spiralling out of control after that but the post that Frank responded to was not a GENERALIZATION. That's how FRANK responded to it, though & I think that was an unfair representation of the post. That's what started the whole thing off.

I understand that.
    However, for the most part, the Citizens are the ones committing the crime.

First off, define "crime". I think dragging someone down the stairs while cuffed & then dropping them on his face is a crime. If I did that I would be in jail. If a cop does it it's just another day at the office...unless someone is lucky enough to get a video. Then it's "I'm not going to judge someone on just a video".

How many non-LEO's have been convicted on nothing more than video evidence?

How many times have we seen video of a gun-fight or even read a story about a criminal who gets the worse end of the stick & people are cheering on the GG. You never (or VERY rarely) hear anyone say "hey let's withold judgement on this guy. You never know why he did it. the other guy may have started it." Most of the time it's "high fives", chest thumping & "man I'm glad. He deserved it. Too bad he didn't die." & that comes from the cops here, too.

Next, are you now using the "cops are generally law-abiding"...um..."citizens :n00b:" defense?

License holders don't typically get that kind of deference from cops (even from some of the ones on here) even though it's a proven fact that they RARELY commit crimes, especially ones that would endanger a cop. But you are more than willing to demand that we give the benefit of the doubt when confronted with pretty damning video evidence because "most cops are good guys". :dunno:

I will not defend a bad Cop!!!
    I just require that the Cop in question be afforded the same right of "Innocent until proven guilty" that every Citizen has.
    Doesn't seem like too much to ask, does it?
    :)

No, it doesn't. All we are asking is that cops be treated EXACTLY like non cops by the cops.

If you were called to the scene of an armed robbery & saw video surveillance of a guy holding up the store would you really try to say that you would withhold judgement on the person until he was convicted in court? Or would YOU begin your investigation based on the fact that you believed he was guilty & then try to build a case around that belief?

I doubt ANY cop (or most non-cops) would sit back after seeing a video of a "gangsta-type" beating the crap out of a "defenseless" (unconscious & bound, etc) person & say "well, we need to just wait to see what the rest of the evidence show's because you don't know what happened before the recording started". "There's no need to rush to judgement". :rolleyes:

This, BTW, isn't just directed at the cops who are saying "wait & see", either. It's just that the cops are in a special position to be able to do something about it AND have historically NOT taken that opportunity for fear of being ostracized from his fellow cop community.

It's the whole thin-blue line mentality.

But if the cops IN GENERAL stood up to their colleagues who abused their positions & lived up to the "integrity & honesty" that we are supposed to give them credit for (which you yourself & all the other cops on here have demanded we do) then there wouldn't be a need for that "thin blue line". The bad cops would know (just like any other criminal) that if they abuse their authority they would be held accountable.

Think about it---How does any LEO benefit themselves by supporting bad behavior by other LEO's??

Well, first off, they don't get the rejection of their team mates for being a "non-team player".

Another example of this is the military. You know what happens to someone who goes against the grain & reports questionable behavior by the rest of the group up the chain of command?

It's the same in any human organization. Only in this case we're talking about the people who have the ability to screw with our freedom & the rest of our lives.

Next, if they extend "professional courtesy" to others then they may get that same "courtesy" in return if they ever screw up.

You asked "where is the benefit?".

I ask "where is the disadvantage?"

The ONLY ONE I can see is that they lose the trust of the people they serve (I mean us, the people, not the chiefs & politicians who they think they work for). It looks like that is already happening & it's getting worse all the time.

And it seems that it's one disadvantage that they are readily willing to tolerate since WE either can't or won't do anything to put a stop to it.

I mean, really.

We know that police abuse happens A LOT. We've all heard stories & seen video. But how many of those cases ACTUALLY result in any real punishment?

Yeah, Yeah, I know. They're ALL just people trying to make easy money off the system by blaming an innocent cop. ALL those cases are taken out of context. The cop was found to be justified (by the cops).

Remember, people, the more a few get away with it the more bold the others become until the corruption & abuse is rampant. It's happened in many jurisdictions over the years.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

If the cops on here can't look at a video & say "wow, that doesn't look right to me either" then we have a serious problem.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Not a cop, but i've looked at the video and given the story told by the officers, medics firemen and neighbor (not their friend with the video) i don't see a problem with it. Maybe i'm alone.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if Maxwell is having a few beers with his brother right now.

Planning how he's going to buy a sweet ride after he gets paid.

Just kickin' it til the sun comes up. Maybe he'll get his bro so messed up he can call a bambulance to show him a good time.

That would be awesome if they had something like that stenciled on cop cars, "For a good time: call 911".

This city needs better humor...

...And a stiff drink or two.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I wonder if Maxwell is having a few beers with his brother right now.

Planning how he's going to buy a sweet ride after he gets paid.

Just kickin' it til the sun comes up. Maybe he'll get his bro so messed up he can call a bambulance to show him a good time.

That would be awesome if they had something like that stenciled on cop cars, "For a good time: call 911".

This city needs better humor...

...And a stiff drink or two.

Not quite sure what this post is suggesting, but I like the end of it! :D

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I read this post because I saw the elusive red badge on a memebers profile. Has there been any update? Was anyone found to be at fault or was it just swept under the rug after the media stopped airing the video?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Not a cop, but i've looked at the video and given the story told by the officers, medics firemen and neighbor (not their friend with the video) i don't see a problem with it. Maybe i'm alone.

Not taking up for anyone. If the police officers are guilty then they should suffer the consequences. What we don't see is the time before the camera started recording. The video is pretty damning but only goes so far.

On another note, we had an officer who assisted picking up a person years ago. He received a very serious injury. He is unable to walk. One of the best people and officer I have ever knowm.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    wow, i guess it was easy to drag the guy that was drunk and was resisting to walk,we did not see what happen before they start the video, still not right to treat him that way.

Top Bottom