• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow. So was there an armed citizen involved as well? I heard someone say 'i have a pistol'. sounded like an older guy.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looked like he had an AK. Just what we needed. A large capacity "assault weapon" used against cops. Sheesh. They were fortunate they escaped with their lives. Sounded like the female officer got hit, tho.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Okay so tell me, how is it that the cops were even alive after that initial barrage? The guy couldn't aim for s**t? The ammo sucked? The car was bullet proof? What was he... 15 feet away? It's a miracle they weren't both killed right there.

He definitely didn't look like he planned on living through it. I guess he wasn't going back to jail.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Nope. He definitely wasn't going to jail.

Dash cam video released from Middlefield police shows a man shooting at police with an assault rifle during a traffic stop in March.

During a news conference Friday, police showed the weapons and other items that were found in the suspect’s car.

According to police, officers pulled over James Gilkerson, 42, of Mentor-on-the-Lake, on March 10 for failing to stop at the intersection of East High Street and North State Avenue.

The video shows Gilkerson getting out of the car and firing an AK-47-style rifle at the police officers.

Officers Erin Thomas and Brandon Savage were injured by gunfire. Thomas was shot in the hand. Savage was able to fire back and strike Gilkerson.

Gilkerson then moves back toward his car and yells “kill me” while continuing to fire shots.

A report released by the Geauga County prosecutor’s office said Gilkerson fired 33 rounds at the officers.

His gun had a 40-round magazine attached. Officer Savage fired 29 rounds.

Inside Gilkerson’s car, police found multiple loaded magazines and loads of ammunition, ski masks and gloves, military-style ammo cans, a scoped .22 caliber rifle, instructional DVDs and books such as “Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives,” “Advance Close-Range Gunfighting,” Homemade Detonators” and others.

The prosecutor ruled earlier this week that both officers acted in self defense and would not face any charges.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Reminds me of the 2 CA bank robbers that fired hundreds of rounds from full auto AK's and only wounded one person. Glad the Cops got him....and with good measure, they more than double tapped him.......well played.....speedy recovery to them.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Okay so tell me, how is it that the cops were even alive after that initial barrage? The guy couldn't aim for s**t? The ammo sucked? The car was bullet proof? What was he... 15 feet away? It's a miracle they weren't both killed right there.

He definitely didn't look like he planned on living through it. I guess he wasn't going back to jail.

If you watch right around the :40 second mark it looks like the camera shakes a little. That would be caused by one or both of the officers exiting. As soon as they saw the gun they probably moved behind the vehicle.I wasn't there so I could be wrong.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nope. He definitely wasn't going to jail.

Dash cam video released from Middlefield police shows a man shooting at police with an assault rifle during a traffic stop in March.

During a news conference Friday, police showed the weapons and other items that were found in the suspect’s car.

According to police, officers pulled over James Gilkerson, 42, of Mentor-on-the-Lake, on March 10 for failing to stop at the intersection of East High Street and North State Avenue.

The video shows Gilkerson getting out of the car and firing an AK-47-style rifle at the police officers.

Officers Erin Thomas and Brandon Savage were injured by gunfire. Thomas was shot in the hand. Savage was able to fire back and strike Gilkerson.

Gilkerson then moves back toward his car and yells “kill me” while continuing to fire shots.

A report released by the Geauga County prosecutor’s office said Gilkerson fired 33 rounds at the officers.

His gun had a 40-round magazine attached. Officer Savage fired 29 rounds.

Inside Gilkerson’s car, police found multiple loaded magazines and loads of ammunition, ski masks and gloves, military-style ammo cans, a scoped .22 caliber rifle, instructional DVDs and books such as “Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives,” “Advance Close-Range Gunfighting,” Homemade Detonators” and others.

The prosecutor ruled earlier this week that both officers acted in self defense and would not face any charges.

I don't know where the car driven by Gilkerson was required to stop. The LEO had the red, which meant at least one cross direction traffic lane had the green. You can see a truck pass from left to right on an apparent green, then Gilkerson's car make the right hand turn to pass the LEO, and then the van making the left turn to pass the LEO. Where/when was the car supposed to come to a stop?

And that is the intersection in the video, confirmed by googlemaps.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't know where the car driven by Gilkerson was required to stop. The LEO had the red, which meant at least one cross direction traffic lane had the green. You can see a truck pass from left to right on an apparent green, then Gilkerson's car make the right hand turn to pass the LEO, and then the van making the left turn to pass the LEO. Where/when was the car supposed to come to a stop?

There was cross traffic going through the intersection both before and after he made his turn, so he definitely would have had a green light for his right turn. At least it looks that way to me.

Maybe they were already looking for him/his vehicle?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There was cross traffic going through the intersection both before and after he made his turn, so he definitely would have had a green light for his right turn. At least it looks that way to me.

Maybe they were already looking for him/his vehicle?

I considered this as well. But the snippet says he was stopped for failure to stop at that intersection.

Just so it's clear: I'm not implying there's anything hinky behind it. But it's a weird discrepancy that calls into question the reason for the stop. I don't know how it could have been for failure to stop at that intersection. So what was he stopped for?

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    If you watch right around the :40 second mark it looks like the camera shakes a little. That would be caused by one or both of the officers exiting. As soon as they saw the gun they probably moved behind the vehicle.I wasn't there so I could be wrong.

The shooter did move off camera left so yeah, that's plausible.

I don't know where the car driven by Gilkerson was required to stop.

Interesting point. As a matter of fact there's a van that turns left just in front of the cruiser well after Gilkerson had made his right turn. It would appear that the cross-traffic still had greens.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I considered this as well. But the snippet says he was stopped for failure to stop at that intersection.

Just so it's clear: I'm not implying there's anything hinky behind it. But it's a weird discrepancy that calls into question the reason for the stop. I don't know how it could have been for failure to stop at that intersection. So what was he stopped for?

Yeah. :dunno:

I missed that in the snippet the first time I read it. I was about to edit my post but you already quoted it. lol. So I'm stuck with it.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I wonder if the cops watched the video before their statement. It sure doesn't look like the two versions jive.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis

I actually replayed the first part of the video several times (before I even got to the actual stop) looking for this very thing. It looked as though he made a completely legal turn. Maybe a little fast, but nothing serious. Obviously that doesn't make his actions any less heinous but it just makes me wonder why he was stopped in the first place.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I actually replayed the first part of the video several times (before I even got to the actual stop) looking for this very thing. It looked as though he made a completely legal turn. Maybe a little fast, but nothing serious. Obviously that doesn't make his actions any less heinous but it just makes me wonder why he was stopped in the first place.

So a guy tries to murder 2 cops and the most pressing discussion is why he was stopped in the first place?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So a guy tries to murder 2 cops and the most pressing discussion is why he was stopped in the first place?

I can't speak for the others that asked about it but as for myself I'm the type that likes to know the whole story. The reason he was stopped in no way takes away from his actions. They were deplorable. I was simply curious as to what he did wrong to warrant being stopped. The story given doesn't jive (from what I saw, anyway) with the video. :dunno:

Top Bottom