• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Sorry, I am not quite getting your point or how it relates to my post. Yes, the guy probably had mental issues. Yes, his mental issues probably were a contributing factor to the calls for help as well as his subsequent refusal to meet deputies two times. Yes, the same mental issues likely had something to do with whipping out a knife and running at responding deputies. All that said, charging at someone with a knife is - as I said - a heck of a way to ask for help.
    An even better way to get dead! My question to the rents, where were you when he needed help? They knew he had problems, if he is that ba, he robably should have no been alone.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Family says Hendricks County man shot by deputy had schizophrenia, says he wanted help | Fox 59

I knew the statements made by the family would be made eventually. Just because an officer is equipped with a Taser does not mean it is automatically the best option in this type of situation.

I sometimes wish police officers were NOT equipped with Tasers. They only serve to enable dumb arguments about escalation of force, by people who have no idea what they're talking about, and who have never been faced with the threat of force.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Just a knife? The deputy should have just disarmed him! If Batman can stop crime with just his bare hands, why can't cops?

Purplepurplepurple.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I sometimes wish police officers were NOT equipped with Tasers. They only serve to enable dumb arguments about escalation of force, by people who have no idea what they're talking about, and who have never been faced with the threat of force.
    Agree. And a lot of people believe that Tasers, CS/OC, and batons are 100% effective every time they are utilized.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Agree. And a lot of people believe that Tasers, CS/OC, and batons are 100% effective every time they are utilized.
    Curb stomping is the ONLY 100% effective tool in an officer's inventory, but I heard the ACLU is going to start making you wear foam boots with bubble wrap insoles?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why is somene suffering from this condition in a position to need help from people that have not way of knowing his condition. The family let him down.

I would caution against this line of thinking unless and until you know a family dealing with this.

We do (and professionally, I've been involved in situations with families going through this). Involuntary commitment is not easy or inexpensive.

As noted elsewhere on INGO, when the state stopped providing critical mental health facilities, it left people to their own devices on this. The schizophrenics are adults (at least the ones we're talking about) who have certain rights, just like the rest of us. And if family members are too active about trying to "force" treatment, the schizophrenic will probably reject the treatment AND the family member, further isolating them.

I know of one family who was so afraid of their son that they went to extreme measures to protect themselves at night. But, they were able to keep him at home in a stable environment until big pharma had the right cocktail of meds to help.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You don't want shootings to be investigated, or you don't want the prosecutor to issue a statement of no charges? I am unclear why it is sad that these things occur when someone gets shot?

I'm sad that it's newsworthy.

The law enforcement officers in this incident did their job and acted within their legal and moral authority, in self-defense - which is true for 99.99% (I may be underestimating) of such incidents. The original reporting of the incident should have been sufficient, but because there are agents of chaos who wish to exploit such incidents in order to advance a political agenda, we now have to wait for the official investigation report.

That report conclusion should have been a footnote to the story, instead of being its climax.

Top Bottom