• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Polaris: Moving to Mexico to get closer to customers | Minnesota Public Radio News

"
    Polaris CEO Scott Wine says the company is closing the plant and opening a facility in Mexico to get closer to key customers and to cut labor costs. He says many competitors have made similar moves.
    "We have concluded that in order to remain competitive and position Polaris for growth in the global market, we must align our manufacturing operations closer to our evolving customer base and seek to lower our overall manufacturing and logistics costs," said Wine.
    The company expects the move will help it eventually save $30 million a year, with much of the savings coming from lower wages. Officials didn't detail how much lower the wages would be in Mexico, though.
    In Mexico, Wine says Polaris will be closer to states where its ATVs and related products have been selling especially well.
    "Our ATV and side-by-side products represent over two-thirds of our total sales, with about 40 percent of that customer base located in the southern half of the United States," he said.
    Minnesota state economsit Tom Stinson says such plant relocations have been going on for years, as companies try to take advantage of cheaper labor abroad.
    "It's just part of the normal course of business. We just hope that we maintain the employment that we have in manufacturing," said Stinson. "

9mm Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have a neice that works in this factory and within 6 months will no longer have a job. I think the US needs to stop all job movements to Mexico until they get their murder and drug problems under control.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Wonder how many of the new employees in Mexico can afford the Polaris products if the Americans stopped buying the products here ?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have a neice that works in this factory and within 6 months will no longer have a job. I think the US needs to stop all job movements to Mexico until they get their murder and drug problems under control.

I had a after I finished one degree that was meant to pay for a vacation so I didn't really care too much about how good of a job it was. I can say this, the $7.26/hr that I was making when the job shipped off to Puerto Rico and Mexico still wouldn't help them a ton(knowing that they'd be getting less than half of that in Mexico). I see NO reason for our government to make it easier for corporations to send their manufacturing overseas. I've worked in 2 different medical device companies and EACH of them have been trying to move the majority of manufacturing to China. Even though every year those 2 companies see lawsuits, I'd still rather have American made if I needed a hip, knee, heart valve, or new shoulder. It would sicken me if I needed some sort of jaw implant and found out it was made in China. I know, different industries but there will be a drop off in quality at least at first. I'd rather pay slightly more knowing that the jobs stayed here.

Top Bottom