• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have never shot a pocket pistol before, but have held them at the gun shop.

I gotta admit, the J Frames do feel better in the hand vs any pocket pistol.

This one is pretty old. It is a pre j serial number and the old diamond wood grips. I will probably put those up and put some rubber grips on her because that is what I'm used to and the original grips are really too narrow. It is just going to be a stick it in my pocket to run up to the store gun so it doesn't have to be any more than it is. I am perfectly comfortable with .38 special for self-defense. I suppose I should probably get at least one speed loader just in case. Anyway, have you seen the prices for .38 special? Outrageous.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This one is pretty old. It is a pre j serial number and the old diamond wood grips. I will probably put those up and put some rubber grips on her because that is what I'm used to and the original grips are really too narrow. It is just going to be a stick it in my pocket to run up to the store gun so it doesn't have to be any more than it is. I am perfectly comfortable with .38 special for self-defense. I suppose I should probably get at least one speed loader just in case. Anyway, have you seen the prices for .38 special? Outrageous.

Yep. That's the big reason why I haven't bought one. Well, that and the hard to find ammo.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yep. That's the big reason why I haven't bought one. Well, that and the hard to find ammo.

I hear you. Since it will never be a range gun and I will probably not put all that many rounds through it once it "qualifies" in my mind as carry ready, I decided I could live with the price. All guns and especially "pocket" guns are a compromise. I just decided where I wanted to compromise. I would much rather have one of these than any of the plastic pieces I have tried.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hear you. Since it will never be a range gun and I will probably not put all that many rounds through it once it "qualifies" in my mind as carry ready, I decided I could live with the price. All guns and especially "pocket" guns are a compromise. I just decided where I wanted to compromise. I would much rather have one of these than any of the plastic pieces I have tried.

Makes sense.

My parents have 38 specials. Dad has an old Taurus, mom has a Colt.

Honestly, after handling them, I can conceal my Glock 26 a lot easier. So, for me, I have the best carry gun. I can shoot it well, and make it disappear.

Any other gun I buy would just be for plinking, not carry.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Makes sense.

My parents have 38 specials. Dad has an old Taurus, mom has a Colt.

Honestly, after handling them, I can conceal my Glock 26 a lot easier. So, for me, I have the best carry gun. I can shoot it well, and make it disappear.

Any other gun I buy would just be for plinking, not carry.

That's cool. Confidence in what you carry is the number one requirement. Everything else is really just an after thought.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The nice thing about a small revolver as a pocket pistol is that you can actually shoot it while in your pocket ;)

Shooting from the Pocket - YouTube

This is the biggest reason I bought a Smith 442. The standard J frame probably would work in a shoot from the pocket situation, but the hamerless eliminates one more possible point to snag on.

As far as inexpensive pocket guns goes, my 442 is probably the least expensive I own, followed closely by my LCP. I have a few other options, most that have been mentioned in this thread, but the one that I keep coming back to is the J frame. My LCP has the Hogue hybrid grip on it, and it makes a world of difference in comfort and accuracy, but the little J frames seem to be much more accurate for me than the little auto.

Diamond Jim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    I have owned a Ruger LCP since they first came out. Nice to carry but no fun to shoot. It kicks worse than my Springfield Range Officer 45.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    In shorts I can fit my G27 better than a shield actually… But if I had to recommend something truly pocket, we will talk guns I have carried, or at least fired and maybe didn't like upfront and therefore never considered carrying.
    Ill say I would go auto over a wheel gun due to low round count of each and having extra mags makes them superior in my opinion, but I won't knock you Jframe guys anymore :)

In 380 which I know you aren't crazy about but Sig P238 in 380 is great! I LOVE it! It is superior to every other .380 I have handled or fired… Next inline would be a Kahr 380 CW or P (I own a CW380, $337 after tax. So what like 35$ more than an LCP=WORTH IT! but that is a different thread in itself.), and last a BodyGuard, LCP, Keltec, and other similar guns. I am not a fan of these guns due to the others being far superior to them, and they would be my very last choice after the Kahr or Sig. I have heard good and bad things about the DB 380 but I can not say anything personally about it, but it may be worth looking into due to some respected opinions I have recently heard. I am not a fan of the Taurus and I am not looking forward to the Pico due to the Nano. They fit in with the "other similar guns" I mentioned above. I am a fan of Beretta guns in general, just not here.

In 9mm there are so many options, but getting to a true pocket pistol is what we will focus on (not the shield or a G26 like I stated about my 27 above). For a 9mm pocket pistol I would go Kahr, cm or pm. I have carried a CM9. I would now be interested now to checkout a SIG P938 after my .380 experience being so positive. I was not a fan of most other pocket 9's I have experience with. The Beretta (the nano wasn't totally negative just not the one for me), Ruger, or Keltech in 9mm are not on my list of 9mm carry guns. This was concluded after having shot them but not carried them based on the decision that other options should be carried simply based on how much better they shot, why waste the time yah know?

All of this being said, I like the .380 guns more due to the fact that they truly are smaller. While I do like the CM9 it can not fit in all my pockets well like the .380's/ be drawn effectively. I do understand your concern with 9>380 as I have the same concerns you could say. So for this reason I will carry larger when convenient. But find a 380 in my jeans for the most part on a daily basis. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Last edited:

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think there is a difference between being able to fit a gun in your pocket and actually pocket carrying it everyday. To me the best true pocket carry gun is a Kahr P380. I'm not a big DAO trigger fan but the trigger is very smooth. The pull is long enough that I'm not worried to pocket carry with no holster. I couldn't imagine pocket carrying a G26, LC9 or something else that size. People can talk about caliber all they want but if it's not with you what's the difference? Saying that, my favorite carry gun is a Sig P938 IWB in a Cooks kydex forward cant holster.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    People get a little carried away in the pocket gun discussions. A G26/7 is not a pocket gun by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing against the gun and they are quite suitable for IWB but, come on, a pocket gun?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    To be honest, I'm not sure if I could pocket carry a pocket gun. Since I have slimmed down a lot, I don't wear baggy jeans anymore. They aren't nut-huggers, but they aren't that loose either. For me, it makes carrying IWB or even AIWB much easier.

I'd probably carry a pocket gun IWB.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I have been carrying a Ruger LCP .380 for the past several months. It is one of the newer models with a better trigger and I am very happy with the gun. I use a pocket holster and it is comfortable to carry and very concealed.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    People get a little carried away in the pocket gun discussions. A G26/7 is not a pocket gun by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing against the gun and they are quite suitable for IWB but, come on, a pocket gun?

I'd agree... I own a Rami and an XDs and I'm still in search of a "pocket gun". I wouldn't even think about putting the Rami even a large cargo pocket... I've tried it with the XDs and it just makes the cargo pocket flop around and would be a pain to try and get out in an emergency.

I'd really like something the size of an LCP with a decent trigger for a pocket BUG or for quick runs to the store or grocery. I'm hoping the PICO is that gun. If not... then the search continues, but it looks like the market for these mini pistols is ramping up, so I'm sure soon enough I'll get exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Okay, I just found the prices on those!!!......you must have been REALLY good this year!!....WOW[/QUOT

I have never lost money buying and selling R9 's especially on the limited addition models. There is a special forces R9 on gun broker but he wants like $5k for it. From the factory they are $1,700 ish

brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    My wife has the .375 magnum Ruger LCR and loves it. I love it too and thinking about buying another one for me. My brother has the Ruger LCP .380 and honestly I found it hard to hold on too and my wife absolutely didn't like it. My niece didn't either. They both liked the LCR much better.

Top Bottom