• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Been thinking of purchasing a pocket pistol, but will likely be on a tight budget. I currently own and carry a G17, and would like to purchase a G26. But, the price of the subcompact Rugers is pretty nice. Not too sure of the .380 ACP round though. I would rather stick with 9mm. Has anyone had issues with the Ruger LCP, LC9, or LC380? Thanks!

Pocket pistols are a trade off, nothing comes without cost. As guns get smaller my opinion is that they also become more quirky. I have always been less then impressed with little pistols that are built to meet a price point in the market.

I have yet to find a better value and compromise between size and power then a small revolver. Trust me I have been looking because if I ever find an auto that I feel can fit this role I will gladly let the revolver go. Now keep in mind what I am talking about here is a gun that is used as a "pocket gun" or "backup gun", basically a tuck in in the pocket and run to the store or change the oil in my car type gun.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My suggestion is to continue saving your money, and buy the Glock 26.

It's a much, much better gun than the Rugers.

The LCP, and presumably the LC9, have absolutely horrendous DAO triggers. They are long, heavy, and don't break until you squeeze them practically against the frame. This absolutely destroys accuracy, especially when you have large hands. The recoil will be painful, but unless you buy a heavier gun that goes with the territory, but I will say that this decreases accuracy too, and the combination of recoil and trigger pull (not to mention poor sights usually too) make for some very poor accuracy.

A Glock 26 or M&P9C (or maybe even a Ruger SR9?) and other sub compacts generally don't suffer from the above design limitations, and are not terribly large. They still fit in your pocket, they just don't feel comfortable doing so. But the pocket is no place for any gun IMO. A good IWB holster is what is necessary for CC no matter the gun. The accuracy of a Glock or M&P sub compact is identical in my hands to a full size pistol at up to 20y, so I've become a huge fan of sub compacts, and even now choose them over full sized guns for any role. Full size guns are fun at the range, but not useful for CC. [You can slap a pinky extension on a sub compact if you want to shoot it all day at the range, but you can't sheer the length off the full size gun after leaving the range].

You don't need your pinky on the gun. I removed all my pinky extensions from the mags because the grip length is one of the most important aspects for CC. (Hickock45 has a great video 'splainin' that). I personally prefer the M&P9C w/safety, because I'm not a fan of shoving a gun inside my shirt and up against my kidneys without that added protection. When I wear the Glock I am super paranoid, and always remove the holster to re-holster, before attaching the inside of holster of my belt.

Hope this helps!

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    If you're a glock guy, the DB9 might be a good fit. I have the Sig P938 and P238 and love them both, but they are a bit pricey.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The LCP, and presumably the LC9, have absolutely horrendous DAO triggers. They are long, heavy, and don't break until you squeeze them practically against the frame. This absolutely destroys accuracy, especially when you have large hands. The recoil will be painful,
    Hope this helps!

I don't agree, Dry fire practice can easily overcome the long trigger pull, plus the 2013 version of the LCP has an improved trigger.
    I don't even notice the trigger pull on my 2 yr old LCP any longer.
    LCP with a CT laser, and I can cause a bad guy to have a really bad day easily at up to 15 yrds.

And with proper grip, its not painful for most people. Who cares if it is, in a SD situation you'll never notice it.

Any gun takes practice, practice, practice. Dry fire is your friend.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have had several of the little "pocket pistols" In my humble opinion, the P238 is by far the best, but not if you are on a budget. I do agree with the CM9 suggestion. That seems to be your best fit. You prefer a 9mm. I have been able to pick them up for around $350. Much less than a G26 and much easier to conceal.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Not to get off subject but I saw there is a 9mm of the SIG p238. I the SIG p938. Its just slightly bigger, but if you don't feel like buying another caliber, and wanna carry something bigger than a 380, it might be worth looking at. Still kinda pricey, but if its the right gun for you, it might be worth it.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    The Glock 26/27 is not a pocket pistol. It will fit in your jeans front pocket but it's pretty bulky/heavy in my opinion. Have you considered the Beretta Nano? I also carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32 a lot depending on what I'm wearing. A lot of people joke about the effectiveness of a smaller round like the .32 but 100 years ago it was the round most police officers carried.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    I carry a P238 now, but previously carried an LC9. The LC9 lays flat against you in the waistband. I use Remora holsters for that. I got the P238 just to have something a little smaller for concealment. I tried a couple .380's and find it to have the best feel. I'm not a large guy. In good shape. Lots of guys in good shape have more problems with imprinting with IWB CC. The LC9 in the Remora is barely noticeable at all, even to me. So, on a strict budget I'd highly recommend the LC9. You can find used ones easily, too.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a LC9 for my wife and a Sig P938. Like every one said the trigger on the LC9 is horrible, I really like the Sig. It has enough weight that it is fun to shoot and the trigger is nice. It disappears in my pocket.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I have both the Glock 26 and a Ruger LC9, the Glock 26 is a lot thicker/larger than the LC9. I use the LC9 as my pocket gun and its been a fine gun.

If I had to get rid of one of them though it would be the Ruger LC9.

Same here, have both, but if I had to keep just one, it would be the G26, cuz I can use my G19 & G17 mags in it. But I like the LC9, good CC gun.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Don't buy cheap. buy what is best for you. cheap is rarely ever a good decision in any purchase.
    Also, many times "the pocket" in which you want to carry can make as much difference as the gun
    and if you are using something like an Alabama pocket holster or the like.
    I can pocket carry my xds but i rarely do and only in certain pants. It has a grip safety as far as any
    worries may go.
    Hopefully you can find some people who have these guns and try them. Unloaded of course;)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have a new LCP for pocket carry in the summer time. The rest of the year, I carry a Kahr P9 in an IWB holster. I like the thinness of the Kahr over the Glock. The Kahr grip is long enough to get a full grip with all my fingers.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Pocket pistols are a trade off, nothing comes without cost. As guns get smaller my opinion is that they also become more quirky. I have always been less then impressed with little pistols that are built to meet a price point in the market.

I have yet to find a better value and compromise between size and power then a small revolver. Trust me I have been looking because if I ever find an auto that I feel can fit this role I will gladly let the revolver go. Now keep in mind what I am talking about here is a gun that is used as a "pocket gun" or "backup gun", basically a tuck in in the pocket and run to the store or change the oil in my car type gun.

As much as I think snub guns are highly over rated and not much use, I have to agree with VERT here. If you really have to have a pocket gun (yuck), a small revolver is probably the way to go.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't agree, Dry fire practice can easily overcome the long trigger pull, plus the 2013 version of the LCP has an improved trigger.
    I don't even notice the trigger pull on my 2 yr old LCP any longer.
    LCP with a CT laser, and I can cause a bad guy to have a really bad day easily at up to 15 yrds.

And with proper grip, its not painful for most people. Who cares if it is, in a SD situation you'll never notice it.

Any gun takes practice, practice, practice. Dry fire is your friend.

I disagree with your disagreement.:): My wife bought a LC9 against my advice. She will shoot it even though it makes her hand bleed. A long trigger pull is one thing, a horrible one is another. You may not notice the pain in a self defense situation because you are too busy bleeding because you never practiced shooting your gun because it was too painful.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ruger LCP the new ones have a much improved trigger. Carry it in a wallet pocket holster so no one will know. All of my jeans have too small of pockets to carry a subcompact 9 in unless I wear my 5.11 pants.

Top Bottom