• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boilerbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Huntington
    I'm looking for suggestions for a pistol for target shooting. I'm looking to spend $300-$400 on this. So far I have been looking at .22's but I'm open to any suggestions. I currently have a mark 4 series 70 Colt 1911 that I love to shoot but I need something less expensive to work on my accuracy.
    What does the collective wisdom here recommend?
    :ingo:

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    You absolutely cant go wrong with the Ruger Mark 3s or 22/45s. They are a staple to any gun owners collection. They are so much fun an inexpensive to shoot.

That is my vote!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I'm looking for suggestions for a pistol for target shooting. I'm looking to spend $300-$400 on this. So far I have been looking at .22's but I'm open to any suggestions. I currently have a mark 4 series 70 Colt 1911 that I love to shoot but I need something less expensive to work on my accuracy.
    What does the collective wisdom here recommend?
    :ingo:

One of the following:

- a .22 conversion kit for your 1911

- a Ruger 22/45

A marvel precision unit 2 conversion will be right around $400 and a tactical solutions unit will be about $500. A Kimber conversion will be closer to $300.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Ruger MK III with the 1911 gripi or maybe one of the Rock Island XT-22s.. All steel 1911 22LR pistol built like a tank.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just check out the 22/45 and others before you buy. I was set on the 22/45 because it has a similar handhold as my 1911. However when I handled one at the range and in the LGS, I really didn't like it. The poly frame with the 5.5" bull barrel did not feel good in my hand.

I am going with the Mark III(regular) instead. It feels much better and it will still help with improving my skills for the 1911.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    +1 on the GSG. Walther/Umarex makes a colt 1911 clone in 22lr also but its at the top of your price range for the most basic of the three models they make. I've seen used gsg 22s go for 250-275 at the lgs.

You can't go wrong with a Buckmark. I just think they are God awful ugly :)

boilerbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Huntington
    I like the mk III responses, my problem has been finding one under $400. I haven't seen a buckmark, but I'd like to feel one of those too. I don't really care if the gun is similar to the 1911. I just want something that is fun to shoot, accurate, and will fit my big meatmits. I've held the Sig mosquito and the Ruger SR22 and they were both too small. I will be looking Saturday at the stores in Ft. Wayne, Bluffton and Huntington. I want to get down to Bradis, but I don't think I will be in Indy anytime soon.

Thanks for the input so far, and keep it coming.

jdeere18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have a 1974 Ruger Mark I and it still shoots like a brand new gun I would highly recommend any of the Mark I,II,III guns

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the mk III responses, my problem has been finding one under $400. I haven't seen a buckmark, but I'd like to feel one of those too. I don't really care if the gun is similar to the 1911. I just want something that is fun to shoot, accurate, and will fit my big meatmits. I've held the Sig mosquito and the Ruger SR22 and they were both too small. I will be looking Saturday at the stores in Ft. Wayne, Bluffton and Huntington. I want to get down to Bradis, but I don't think I will be in Indy anytime soon.

Thanks for the input so far, and keep it coming.

Williams gun site has two for less than $400.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Regarding the Ruger Mark III 22/45 pricing, just be patient and troll your local shops or the classifieds here. I picked up a used 22/45 for under $250 out the door at Target Sports in Sheridan last summer. It just needed a good cleaning and it's been a reliable, fun and accurate little plinker for me and my son.

Top Bottom