• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think you're kinda missing my point. I agree with all of you. It's dumb. It's reckless. It's irresponsible. Lots of things are. A hyper regulatory state can't take the place of personal responsibility. Even if it could, it shouldn't. I'd rather be free than safe. Would I be upset if my wife and kids were killed by someone texting and driving? Absolutely. Would that change my mind? Nope.

I agree with this. It's already illegal to drive recklessly, change lanes unsafely, to run stop signs, etc.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Maybe texting and driving should carry the same penalties as drinking and driving? Maybe people would think twice about it if it actually had some penalties?
    That's my view. To be effective a law must have stiff penalties to make an impact to change people's behavior and the law must be readily enforceable. These are tough hills to climb. People are so addicted to smart/cell phones that it is hard to get them to put them down for even a few minutes. LEO's have a hard time proving the use of a cell phone while driving and many LEO's use cell phones while they drive, so they aren't motivated to enforce such laws. IMHO, operating a motor vehicle isn't comparable to freedoms guaranteed by the constitution.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's my view. To be effective a law must have stiff penalties to make an impact to change people's behavior and the law must be readily enforceable. These are tough hills to climb. People are so addicted to smart/cell phones that it is hard to get them to put them down for even a few minutes. LEO's have a hard time proving the use of a cell phone while driving and many LEO's use cell phones while they drive, so they aren't motivated to enforce such laws. IMHO, operating a motor vehicle isn't comparable to freedoms guaranteed by the constitution.
    If self preservation isn't enough to get people to put the stupid things down, no law is going to do so. The .gov cannot protect you from all the bad things that can happen in life, and it is a slippery slope for them to try. A slope we are already sliding down in this country.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Still, very easy to see who is on the phone while driving, simply because they are not concentrating on their driving. I only wish that they would at least stay in the right lane. :aws against this should be enforced vigorously, more than the seat belt laws. With the seat belt, you only hurt yourself. Cause an accident while on the phone and you hurt others.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thats it...when I need to text I am gonna just slam the truck in to park right in the middle of the road. Then people will be complaining that they have to go around me. :n00b:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Thats it...when I need to text I am gonna just slam the truck in to park right in the middle of the road. Then people will be complaining that they have to go around me. :n00b:
    Or just run you down:dunno: it wouldn't be like you'd be the first person to stop in the middle of a damn highway for no reason!

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Well, to close this out, Allstate adjuster totaled out the van on Friday, so will be shopping for a new one beginning Monday morning. Ended up with more than was offered in trade two years ago so I guess it wasn't all bad. Just the hassle factor that's aggravating.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well, to close this out, Allstate adjuster totaled out the van on Friday, so will be shopping for a new one beginning Monday morning. Ended up with more than was offered in trade two years ago so I guess it wasn't all bad. Just the hassle factor that's aggravating.
    That's another thing that is bad about this type of negligence. Yeah, you might get enough money to get another vehicle (even if you aren't injured), but you have all the aggravation of dealing with the insurance companies and doing without a vehicle until things are settled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBRYBFacl1E

Last edited:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I shed a tear today as the van was pulled up on a flat bed and towed away. The tear wasn't for the van, but for the last thing I saw as it was leaving. My INGO sticker on the rear door.

Top Bottom